Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you talking about the resonator on the air intake box?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix via Tapatalk 2

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
I think thehun speaks of the muffler in the main tunnel. That's an interesting idea, haven't heard of that one. In the end though keeping the 2" exhaust piping is going to be your limiting factor for anything performance related. If you're going to go that far, you might as well hack it all off and start with 2.25" or 2.5"!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting... I wasn't aware we had 2 mufflers.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix via Tapatalk 2

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
I'm having my stock exhaust replaced today, when it's up on the lift I'll snap a couple shots... But...

Front Muffler:

Rear Muffler:

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
I took a walk down the street while they were getting set up and they had already cut off the stock stuff, but... Front muffler and "center" resonator...

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
I don't think you would notice as much of a sound increase removing the first muffler vs removing the rear. Neither add any power more for sound and cosmetics

·
Registered
464 Posts
The front muffler doesn't really "muffle" all that much. It's more of a boxy resonator. I removed the rear first, then replaced the front with a 6" round Magnaflow. A few days later I removed the resonator. The sound difference on each step was definitely noticeable, but there's not much to the front muffler. It would make a sound difference, but the rear muffler will be much more noticeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I deleted the front muffler, but left the middle and the lunchbox on. There isn't really any sound diffrence from having the muffler in place. I didn't notice any sort of power gain either. Before buying my Focus I had a MS3 and deleted the muffler as well. It was Greatly louder on the Mazda than the Focus! I miss the 2.3 turbo haha

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
You're not going to notice power increases unless you increase pipe size.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I replaced the rear lunchbox on mine for a magnaflow dual out one, I find that I don't have a lot of noise coming out.. Well in fact I can't tell that I have a magnaflow exhaust...
I was wondering about doing a first muffler or resonator delete to get louder.
What would be the best option? Anyone tried something like this ?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Will be removing it off my ST exhaust sometimes soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
id like to know if anyone deleted both yet?
I have both the back muffler and one next to the engine removed and i dont like it to much rice for my taste i removed the back muffler first and loved it way better.

Also i am looking to replace the front one by the engine again if anyone knows where to get a cheap replacement. Thanks

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
Holy thread revival Batman!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done a straight pipe all the way through and it was loud. Skull splittingly loud. The drone was terrible on the freeway. I have since then replace the straight pipe with a straight through resonator and muffler and think it sounds pretty good. Here a clip of how it sounds https://youtu.be/5ZQfS7n6z6A

1 - 18 of 18 Posts