Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need to know how to remove the plate that holds the lug nut studs on..... Will the small round plate come off or does the whole knuckle have to come out?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
thats the hub, its attached to bearings that are pressed into the knuckle. that big nut is holding onto the axle and is putting pressure keeping the bearing in.

if you just want to replace the stud, there is room to knock it out without hanging up on the knuckle. search a how to

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hopefully you can turn it to a point where the old stud can be knocked out & a new one angled in through the hole. It doesn't need to be straight in there until you're pulling it into the hub. They can often be tapped into place when you match splines with the hole, lug nut will pull fully tight when the wheel is installed.

You'd have to remove the knuckle & press that hub out of the bearing if you can't find clearance. Trying to bang or yank it out & you'll be pulling it for new bearings soon IMHO.

I'll move this to the Brakes, Suspension & Chassis area for you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
When I had to change out a broken wheel stud on my 06 ZXW I used the Powerbuilt upper control arm bushing service kit #25 from Advance Auto via their tool rental program to remove the old lug stud combined with an impact wrench to tighten it down (as when I was trying to do it by hand caused the whole hub to turn instead of pressing the stud out. I went with this method as it was a free rental and the C of the press has an open end so it would fit over the head of the lug stud. Didn't have to worry about messing up the wheel bearing trying to beat the broken stud out that way.

To put the new stud in I started the stud by hand, started drawing it in with an open ended lugnut (with the acorn side facing away from the hub and a couple washers between the hub and lugnut) and a 1/2" drive ratchet, and once I could get it as far as I could I finished drawing it in with an impact wrench with the power turned down to as low as it needed to work.

That kit in addition to being a rental from Advance Auto (at least at the one near me) is available for purchase here for $120 shipped in the US http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648604-Control-Bushing-Service/dp/B0028QGT90

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
I just tap them out with a hammer. Takes about 10 minutes to take them out and then put new ones in if your in a hurry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts