Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Nope different. But all '02 to ' 04 SVT are the same front nuckle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I can not budge the strut bolt on the knuckle of my 03. 13 New England winters and a year of sitting in a backyard have taken their toll. I swear I should be offered a distributor discount for the amount of PB Blaster I have put on this bolt. I have tried heat, breaker bar, impact....... Nothing!
Tomorrow I will pull the knuckle and strut together and give it a last ditch effort before I order a new to me knuckle.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I just did this on a '04 SVT that was in Ohio and Michigan its whole life. After PBlaster I had made attepnts and got rounded'ish bolts where a regular socket would not stay on (was using 6 point sockets...)

I got my torch out and got things hot (being careful of the gas strut tubes) I used a set of bolt extractors pointed it on and with all the brake calipers and brackets out of the way with a 18" breaker bar was able to get them moving and pulled out.

Got to the junk yard to get clean "new" bolts for the rebuild.

It would be easier to likely take it to a shop if you cant get it and have them drill it out, tap and helicoil than to get a whole new knuckle. But I am not even sure how much those go for now days.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My axle nuts are seized in big time on my SVT. If I have to do a wheel bearing or axle I doubt they will come off. Rest of the car is rust free. Its just the axle nuts. Figure I will make the jump to some 2005 spindles and go to the bigger ball joint. This still allows me to bolt on the svt calipers. But makes it much easier to find in the area. Loads of 2005 in the junk yards. One svt in all the years I have looked. So figure some time changing the ball joint out. Easy enough if I need to replace.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Are you sure they are seized? They are torqued to some 190ish ft-lbs and require quite a bit to lose them up. You then also have to get different Shocks? They used larger diameter tubes right so you need to get the Massive sleeve kit?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you sure they are seized? They are torqued to some 190ish ft-lbs and require quite a bit to lose them up. You then also have to get different Shocks? They used larger diameter tubes right so you need to get the Massive sleeve kit?
Well lets just say the nuts have rusted so much I figure they will strip the right away. They might be close to five sided. If the time comes I will try. I have a nice impact and a place to go if I need to try the 1000ft/lb impact. Till then I just look away. No bad wheel bearing or axle yet. But the passenger side ones boots have been replaced twice so it might be on borrowed time.

As for the shocks. 05 down used the small shocks. 06+ used the big ones. Buddy converted his 06 to the 05 spindle and is using some PSS9 from a 2004 car. He had the adapter but one spindle would lot let his bad axle go so he converted both to the 05 style as he could not get an 06 on short notice. Needed ones that day.

Short list. For changes.

00-04 Small Shock, Small Ball Joint, Different Brake holes 00-04 Only.
02-04 SVT Small Shock, Small Ball Joint, Going to call them STD Brake Holes
05 Small Shock, Big Ball Joint, STD Brake Holes.
06-07 Big Shock, Big Ball Joint, STD Brake Holes.
08-11 To my Knowledge same as 06-07. So Big Shock, Big Ball Joint, STD Brake holes.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Short list. For changes.

08-11 To my Knowledge same as 06-07. So Big Shock, Big Ball Joint, STD Brake holes.
This sum's it up^^^^ brake holes, meaning the width of the caliper mounts on the spindles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short list. For changes.

This sum's it up^^^^ brake holes, meaning the width of the caliper mounts on the spindles.
I just purchased Moog front control arms. They say they fit 04-11 and have large ball joints. Are they labeled wrong or do the 04 have large ball joints?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
MOOG has two different ones, might have to look closer at their site. where did you order them from?

Moog are CK or RK 80405 and 80404 for 00-04 and RK80407 and RK80408 for 05 to 11.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Large came into effect in 2005. Maybe some end of run cars in 04 got the big but I doubt it.
Quite a lot of the '05's came out in 2nd/3rd qtr of '04. My '05 has a June build date & bought it in July '04. Yea I did test drive a couple left over svt's down the 405. As Pacific Ford had over a dozen svt's at the time.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Has anyone in racing conditions had ball joint brake on them in the 00-04 size this making the 05 a endurance upgrade?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Has anyone in racing conditions had ball joint brake on them in the 00-04 size this making the 05 a endurance upgrade?
Kinda similar for Ford to up the diameter of the struts for the '06+ cars. As you know all the svt's came w/ the smaller ones. I'd say no....Main thing I've seen is the hubs.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Good to hear, got the hubs worked out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts