Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

So started getting a thud thud noise when going super slow on a bumpy/ unpaved road. Literally rolling down slight rough inclined driveway. I dont hear this noise on highway. If I am driving around 35-40mph, and let go of steering wheel, I see a slight shake. I can only feel it slightly. When I brake at high speeds (i have warmed rotors too) the sound comes comes on for the first initial few seconds.

Another noise I started hearing was during high speeds, on left side it's a fast rattle, not very loud usually 70-75+mph. Noticed that when I swerve right, the noise goes away, but comes back once straight. Recently checked my front tires and the inside edge is severely worn on both sides.
Recently I noticed it was gone but then started hearing it again.

Sway bar links are moog so they where replaced at some point. Was my uncles car from nyc. Has 169k miles. Did the motor and tranny mounts already.

Car tracks straight, no pulling left or right.

What's the first thing that comes to mind?

Edit
Made a video this AM rolling down the rough driveway. The sound is more noticable at 11 and 19 seconds. Throughout that you can hear it as well.
https://youtu.be/edXOdcO5O0I
Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sway bar end links are bad. Buy the MOOG's again. I just bought Duralast over the weekend and they are pieces of junk that probably won't last more than a few months.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm actually going to suggest to get the cheapest ones on RockAuto they're probably under $4. Normally I'm all about buying the more expensive option, but these cheap ones have performed better for me than the $20 ones I bought prior.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The OEM made it 90,000 miles. The $20 ones from RockAuto maybe 10,000 miles. The $4 ones to soon to tell, but so far I prefer them over the $20 ones. No joke and I'm normally buy the best you can type of person, but apparently you don't always get what you pay for.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
The OEM made it 90,000 miles. The $20 ones from RockAuto maybe 10,000 miles. The $4 ones to soon to tell, but so far I prefer them over the $20 ones. No joke and I'm normally buy the best you can type of person, but apparently you don't always get what you pay for.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
did you notice any handling difference with the $4 ones over oem?

·
Registered
701 Posts
The more expensive ones were proforged. Do not recommend one of the joints basically locked up and made a very loud popping sound you could feel it through the whole car.
The cheap ones are from ultra power.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you ever replaced the strut hats, thats a ton of miles on the o.e. units. Check those as well, they are very cheaply built

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just put in some ACdelco ones from amazon.

The old one's joints were easy to swivel but not bad enough to flop to lowest point due to gravity.

Helped with the noise a bit but it is still there. Steering wheel still has that slight shimmy while going 20-40mph. But really cant feel it while hands re on the wheel.

What do you guys think is next? Gatta be some bushing/rubber.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There! It sounds like you may have a couple of issues going on. I had an SVT that would make a thud noise (exactly like the sound in your video) when going over bumps or rough pavement. I ended up replacing the front struts. You can buy a full Ford Performance SVT suspension kit for around $350. This will fit the 2000-2005 Focus. Just search part number M-3000-ZX3A or M-3000-ZX3. The later part number is cheaper, but you'll need to build your own struts and buy the strut bearings separately. This would be a huge upgrade over the stock, worn suspension you have now. Since you are having inside tire wear on the fronts, I would also have the front alignment checked. It sounds like you may have a camber issue. Since the SVT suspension will lower the car slightly (.75"), I would do the alignment after the strut change. For the vibration issue, it sounds like you may have a bearing going out. Since the vibration goes away when swerving right, I would check the right front/right rear bearings. If it is a clicking noise, it may also be a CV joint. Usually CV joint will make noise at lower speeds when turning a tight circle. Just a few ideas. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi There! It sounds like you may have a couple of issues going on. I had an SVT that would make a thud noise (exactly like the sound in your video) when going over bumps or rough pavement. I ended up replacing the front struts. You can buy a full Ford Performance SVT suspension kit for around $350. This will fit the 2000-2005 Focus. Just search part number M-3000-ZX3A or M-3000-ZX3. The later part number is cheaper, but you'll need to build your own struts and buy the strut bearings separately. This would be a huge upgrade over the stock, worn suspension you have now. Since you are having inside tire wear on the fronts, I would also have the front alignment checked. It sounds like you may have a camber issue. Since the SVT suspension will lower the car slightly (.75"), I would do the alignment after the strut change. For the vibration issue, it sounds like you may have a bearing going out. Since the vibration goes away when swerving right, I would check the right front/right rear bearings. If it is a clicking noise, it may also be a CV joint. Usually CV joint will make noise at lower speeds when turning a tight circle. Just a few ideas. Good luck!!

Ahh yea, the struts were my first thought. I actually did buy the kit but ended up returning because I had second thoughts about it. When I started with the rear strut and the bolt was seized in the bushing. Nothing new to me but it meant I had to replace all those other bushings when things were apart, and I wasnt feeling it at the time so I just bought original replacement parts from autozone and doing it piece by piece as I have time. Been soaking the bolts in BP blast too so should be ready to tackle.

I have the stock struts so those are next on the list. Hopefully this weekend! Will post back!

Thanks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts