Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing a popping noise from the passenger front strut area on my 03 SVT Focus after hitting a bad pothole. I bought the car used and some idiot put a set of DropZone coilovers on the car which could have made the bump worse. I've searched these forums and another forum for my solution and can only come up with a busted endlink. It makes the popping noise when I go over bumps or hit the brakes hard.

Today I jacked up the car and supported the front on jackstands with the wheels off. Both endlinks are still bolted to the strut/swaybar and appear to be tight. My question: How do I tell if the endlinks need replacing or I have another problem...such as bad strut, etc. Any help is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,807 Posts
I cant answer about the endlinks, but I would also check you engine/transmission mounts. I had clunk/rattle in the front end and it turned out to be a loose transmission mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Grab the endlinks and wiggle them. If they move, they're shot...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OandAWOW said:
Grab the endlinks and wiggle them. If they move, they're shot...
Did that.....they don't wiggle. DOH.

When I hit the large pothole mentioned above, I heard a loud "pop" and now it makes a quiet pop under a hard brake or over bumps. The strut doesn't appear to be leaking any fluid as if it's blown or anything. But like I said, it has crappy DropZone coilovers on stock dampers.

**EDIT**

I should also mention that the torque steer seems worse now. But it pulls to the opposite side (driver's). I dunno....I'm lost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
I wonder if the popping sound is the piston bottoming out in the shock because of the shitty springs...

Perhaps hitting the pothole did the shocks in because of less bump travel from the springs. If the popping were when you were turning, then I would say it would most likely be the strut bearing, but since it seems to happen only when the front shock is being compressed, my guess is a crapped out shock as a result of the springs. Obviously getting a nice suspension setup costs some money, but it may solve the problem...then again, I may be completely wrong.
 

·
FF's Night Security
Joined
·
28,766 Posts
if you don't have themoney to buy a good suspension kit at least buy the SVT kit for the price of getting new shocks and struts (stock ones compared to SVT) someone on the site compared prices and he decided to just spring the extra 40$ bucks and upgraded. I know you might like how lower your car is but height has nothing to do with quality and performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OandAWOW said:
I wonder if the popping sound is the piston bottoming out in the shock because of the shitty springs...

Perhaps hitting the pothole did the shocks in because of less bump travel from the springs. If the popping were when you were turning, then I would say it would most likely be the strut bearing, but since it seems to happen only when the front shock is being compressed, my guess is a crapped out shock as a result of the springs. Obviously getting a nice suspension setup costs some money, but it may solve the problem...then again, I may be completely wrong.

I think you're exactly right about the piston bottoming out......I wanted to replace those crappy coilovers as soon as I bought the car but funds have been a little tight. I guess I'll order up a spring/shock combo in a month or so to go on the car as I doubt the Ford dealer will replace my strut under warranty with those crappy coilovers staring back at them....LOL. I may order the aftermarket adjustable endlinks while I'm at it. Thanks for all the input guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OandAWOW said:
Grab the endlinks and wiggle them. If they move, they're shot...
I just realized when I checked the endlinks I didn't have the control arm compressed....but I did have the entire front end off the ground.....does the control need to be compressed to check for "wiggle" or will it be noticable without doing that?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
the endlinks are supposed to be wiggleable when compressed (car's weight or jack under the lower control arm).....but not when they are extended.....(just take off tire, and wiggle)

And no problem, you learn a thing or two with a couple of 3am garage adventures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
sleepyboy said:
if you don't have themoney to buy a good suspension kit at least buy the SVT kit for the price of getting new shocks and struts (stock ones compared to SVT) someone on the site compared prices and he decided to just spring the extra 40$ bucks and upgraded. I know you might like how lower your car is but height has nothing to do with quality and performance.
Yeah it was me... i priced out both and the SVT suspension setup was only $20 - $40 more expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eazyrider_tim said:
the endlinks are supposed to be wiggleable when compressed (car's weight or jack under the lower control arm).....but not when they are extended.....(just take off tire, and wiggle)

And no problem, you learn a thing or two with a couple of 3am garage adventures.
OK cool......mine didn't wiggle when the strut was extended. I'm gonna check the top nut and all the bolts etc. I'm still betting the strut is shot due to the previous owners crappy coilover selection...DROPZONE FTL!!!!!
ARGGG [mad]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]UPDATE[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Well here's an update to this thread....I removed the endlink and drove around the block to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. I'm still getting an annoying "pop" under a hard tap on the brakes and a loose/rattling sound when hitting bumps....I'm betting strut and strut bearing now.....

Anyone else with an idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Sure sounds like the shock is dead...

Give your fofo the treatment is needs with a new suspension, lol. [thumb] [:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Front End Axle Noise Passenger Side

After spending almost $500.00 replacing the hub & bearing, the sway bar links, the strut, strut plate and plate bearing and the whole CV axle, the problem was the MOTOR MOUNT ($40.00).
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top