Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, my 2004 SE started making the low pitch, rumbling/growling sounds classically indicative of a wheel bearing going bad. As such, I've just had both front bearings replaced (just the bearings, not the whole hub), and some of the noises that I heard definitely went away. However, there is another noise left behind now that hasn't gone away that is being quite puzzling.

The noise that is left now is what could be described as a howling that varies in pitch depending on speed. It is fairly average in volume, but get very loud and obnoxious exactly between 45-50mph and 70-75mph. The noise will also randomly cut out for just a second and then come back on by itself, or when I engage and disengage the accelerator. I am also almost positive that it is coming from the front left (Drivers) side.

Yes, I know that sounds like a bad wheel bearing, but the bearings were just replaced less than a week ago. Some research has pointed me in the direction of things like a bad CV or axle joint and such, but none of the videos I've listened to sound anything like the noise I am having. Also my ride is perfectly smooth with no vibration, clunking, knocking, or steering problems whatsoever; it's just noise right now. I can also turn the car in the tightest possible circles in either direction with no problem or unusual noises.

My dad thinks it may be a differential or transmission related sound, but he and I can't confidently pin anything down yet. I hope I described the problem well enough, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Find a hill & roll down w/ the engine off w/ both the clutch in & out in neutral....btw I would of replaced the whole hub assemblies.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
A new wheel bearing job can easily be botched by either the install or the exact part chosen there. There is also a bearing on the pass side axle that can do pretty close to the same as a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Find a hill & roll down w/ the engine off w/ both the clutch in & out in neutral....btw I would of replaced the whole hub assemblies.
A new wheel bearing job can easily be botched by either the install or the exact part chosen there. There is also a bearing on the pass side axle that can do pretty close to the same as a wheel bearing.
I agree-replacing the whole assembly vs just the bearing. But that doesn't mean it was done wrong-just that it's possible.
And the carrier bearing on the passenger side axle.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Just be advised the entire assemblies commonly use the worst and cheapest bearings they can find. And that does nothing as well for the most common install mistake, or incorrect final torque at the tightening.

I myself 100% always use a separate bearing and the ones at around $50, or the much better quality ones. Yeah, you gotta press them in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts