Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Raceland coilovers (no need for comments here) about 2 weeks ago and am having a noise from the front driver's side coil now.

The noise happens every time I am reversing out of my driveway, and is a softer knocking/grinding sound. Then changes to a slightly louder clunk when I am driving at low speeds only. Goes away at higher speed (25+) and is only there about 80% of the time at low speeds.

Sway bar end links are new also.

Any ideas on what this is or how i could diagnose it? Want to try to avoid buying unnecessary parts... Ive tried everything and cant reenact the noise at all when i have the wheel off and everything seems good.

Any help is appreciated!

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Did you preload the front coil spring? I'm guessing that (coil bind) or you didnt tighten everything properly. Check tq numbers on all parts you changed recently, including the endlinks. Also, is your front sway bar still centered?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm throwing my vote in with the sway-bar end-links not being tightened down correctly.

Park the car on a flat surface and push on the car to rock it from side to side. If you hear a popping or clunk it's most likely the sway-bar end-links.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This. Mine did the same thing, I hadn't tightened them up all the way
I was thinking this too, the alignment shop tightened it along with the alignment and the car made zero noises the first couple days, so thinking that maybe it came loose again.

Im going to go into the shop and going to take the coil off to tighten this and then put it back on and re-torque everything. Hopefully this fixes it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm throwing my vote in with the sway-bar end-links not being tightened down correctly.

Park the car on a flat surface and push on the car to rock it from side to side. If you hear a popping or clunk it's most likely the sway-bar end-links.
Just did this outside and definitely heard the noise. thanks for the advice! hopefully fixed very soon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just took it to the shop today and had them re-install the sway bar end links and check everything i touched to put the coilovers on. Everything is good to go and tightened up, but the noise is still there.....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Did you make sure they tightened the actual coil over itself? As in the single nut that holds the spring down? That's where my clunk was coming from.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Did you make sure they tightened the actual coil over itself? As in the single nut that holds the spring down? That's where my clunk was coming from.
That very could be^^^^^^or the strut mount.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That very could be^^^^^^or the strut mount.
The strut mount was tightened down, the bolt at the top that can be seen from above in the engine bay.

Is this different than the nut you are talking about?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How was the strut mount bearing?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How was the strut mount bearing?
Not sure, the shop didn't mention it so I assume good? But how would I check that?

Also, took this video when I pulled into my driveway. I can make the noise by turning the steering wheel back/forth quickly. You can't really hear the noise until I move the camera down below the steering wheel. Hopefully this helps a little, this noise is driving me nuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnWKK3ta8k

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd say its the strut mount bearing. Or maybe the top strut mount wasn't zipped down, when the coil/strut was assembled to it. If the bearing in the strut mount is bad its going to make a similar noise. I'd take it bad to who ever installed them & have them pull it apart. If it needs a strut mount bearing, don't use a kyb one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say its the strut mount bearing. Or maybe the top strut mount wasn't zipped down, when the coil/strut was assembled to it. If the bearing in the strut mount is bad its going to make a similar noise. I'd take it bad to who ever installed them & have them pull it apart. If it needs a strut mount bearing, don't use a kyb one.
Strut Top Bearing - Ford Focus 2000-2011 ? FSWERKS

This what you're talking about? If so I'm just going to order this now. Shop is way down south and dont have any tools at all up at school with me so next time i pay to take it to a shop up near me i want it to be the last time ha

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea thats it. I'd also make sure the big nut at the top of the mount is tight also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts