Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of tires on my car and my cousin pointed out to me that the rear tires had an uneven wear pattern and in looking at the rear tires, they are definitely leaning in at the top. So, I need to get an alignment as soon as possible.

Here's the thing. The clutch is starting to slip on my car and I want to replace it, but it's going to be at least another month or two before that happens more than likely.

My question is whether or not it is necessary to get an alignment after replacing the clutch or does it depend on the approach one would take with removing it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Leaning in at the top" is normal for the rear tires, too much "toe in" is the typical cause for "feathering" of the rear tires. Only one side need be off to see this, had that problem with mine after purchasing it used.

Front alignment after a clutch job does depend on the method used IMHO. If the cross member is dropped alignment should be checked, otherwise it should stay the same as long as no other adjustments are loosened/changed in the process (no need to loosen up the tie rods for example - R&R to the knuckle if desired won't change the adjustment).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm........

So, is it possible that the previous tires had uneven wear due to not being rotated by the previous owner?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rotating spreads the wear between two pairs, doesn't change poor wear from alignment.

My personal example was finding the "feathering" at the rear a few months after purchase - measured it up & the right rear corner was twice as much toed in as the left. (saw tooth wear, front of tread block lower then the rear, worst at the inside edge)

Got that adjusted in close to the same & it's been fine ever since.

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis section has a LOT of threads detailing this problem. Gotta make sure everything is tight of course, but you'd have a different worry if anything was really loose back there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts