Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is leaking and I was wondering about getting a new one back on without doing any damage. Over the years, I have used a large socket to press them in on other cars but was reading that I need to put a sleeve of some sort on the inside as to not do any damage. Is this correct?

I already have a method for removing it that will not do any damage so I am good there.

Also, should I assume that oil will come gushing violently out of the seal once I remove it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I use a piece of 2 liter coke bottle as a seal guide. Make it slightly tapered and slide the seal on.Gently tap home with a socket. Make sure you lubricate the seal or it will fail quickly. Drain your oil pan first.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Draining oil pan does nothing there, you have oil trapped at the oil pump which is opened up on one end when you yank that seal. A certain amount of oil will come out then stop.

Be cool tapping the new seal in place, there are 3 tabs in there that limit it and if you break one off it falls right into the oil pump to grind up, that will not be a good day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a piece of 2 liter coke bottle as a seal guide. Make it slightly tapered and slide the seal on.Gently tap home with a socket. Make sure you lubricate the seal or it will fail quickly. Drain your oil pan first.
Sorry, I am not tracking on the 2 liter coke bottle thing. Do you cut it at some point? Could you elaborate a little bit.

Thanks for that link BTW. I have the FSM already but that is cool.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sorry, I am not tracking on the 2 liter coke bottle thing. Do you cut it at some point? Could you elaborate a little bit.

Thanks for that link BTW. I have the FSM already but that is cool.
Obviously you cut it and roll to the correct diameter. Trim as necessary to eliminate overlap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts