Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my front tires replaced and the guy noticed my front passenger side lower ball joint is starting to go bad.

So I've ordered a whole control arm, because I saw it's riveted and I don't want to deal with grinding it out.

I've read a bunch and it seems the pinch bolt gives people the most problem. Any tips anyone can give?

Also, any tips on removing the ball join from the knuckle?

And lastly, my drive with my digital Focus repair manual died. I can't find my backup yet. Anyone have the torque specs for the 4 bolts for the control arm, and the bolt for the outer tie rod?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
replacing the control arms isnt too bad, ive done it w/o write ups. which pinch bolt are you referring to?

its the two bolts by the frame. one next to that engine side and iirc a top down bolt by the ball joint.... maybe a picture will jog my memory

make sure you got a breaker bar and something to stop the top side bolts from spinning

·
Registered
34 Posts
It isn't horrible but the control arm to chassis bolts arm really tight. I reccomend half inch sockets and breaker bar. Pre spray with pb blaster to help loosen things up. The pinch bolt can be tough, plan on destroying it, pick up a new bolt before you start. My control arms came with one, Ford stocks them. On my car one side came out easy, one I had to destroy. If you have access to an air hammer it can make life easier. Don't forget to put the heat shield on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts