Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unable to push the small squarish sensor head down into the half moon shaped hole at the top of the rotor housing. I tried greasing it and lightly tapping it with a hammer and large blunt screwdriver. I don't want to force it. Should I consider filing the hole to make it a bit bigger to fit the sensor end? Other suggestions?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm unable to push the small squarish sensor head down into the half moon shaped hole at the top of the rotor housing. I tried greasing it and lightly tapping it with a hammer and large blunt screwdriver. I don't want to force it. Should I consider filing the hole to make it a bit bigger to fit the sensor end? Other suggestions?
Sure you got the right part? What shape is the old one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old one is exactly the same. It came out hard too. The initial hole is round and plenty large but a quarter inch or little more in there is a half moon lip, a point where the hole is cut in half by a metal lip. I’m sure part is right. Wondering if anyone replaced this sensor and had a like problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced bearings. That must be the problem. Is there any way to open the space? It doesn’t need much

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you’re sure the circlip isn’t blocking the hole and you're installing the correct speed sensor, then I’d try dremeling out the hole in the knuckle the speed sensor sits in, little by little, until the speed sensor snugly slides down through and is fully seated in the hole.

Be sure the hole maintains a snug fit for the speed sensor.

Be patient so you don’t hog out that hole too much or you’ll be getting a new knuckle or going without anti-lock brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I wondered if dremeling the hole would harm anything. A local mechanic says he uses small files sometimes. I was worried if the filings would be harmful

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced bearings. That must be the problem. Is there any way to open the space? It doesn’t need much
It could be as simple as rotating the clip. Here's some guidance from a mistake I made myself in another thread on another site:
Bearing pressed in with the magnetic side close to the ABS sensor (glad I read this ahead of time), and the circlip cunningly positioned over the ABS sensor hole so that I wouldn't discover my mistake until I had mostly reassembled the knuckle back to the strut:

And this is what it looks like after you tear it all down again and look inside the hole and see the clip covering it:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Assunta is exactly correct. Dont' start filing or dremeling until you're sure the circlip isn't blocking the speed sensor hole. Just because the speed sensor didn't come out easily doesn't mean the hole is too small - things like those speed sensors tend to get comfortable in their spots after sitting in one place for a long time.

Since I wouldn't be too excited about spending a couple hundred bucks because I was too enthusiastic with the dremel, I'd follow your mechanic's recommendation and file it by hand before using the dremel.

Assuming you're installing the correct speed sensor and the circlip isn't blocking its passage, I suspect there is loose debris/rust causing the hole to be out of spec rather than Ford not boring the hole to the correct size. A file will knock the debris/rust out of place without worrying about hogging the hole out too much with a dremel.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’d prefer to file away the clip head than pull the wheel again. Your advice leads me to believe I can do that and the filing debris won’t harm inside. I’m sure the part is correct.

·
Registered
146 Posts
....Your advice leads me to believe I can do that and the filing debris won’t harm inside. I’m sure the part is correct.
Actually, I was envisioning doing the filing/dremeling with the knuckle off the car and on a bench and in a vise during any dremeling.

Since you have ABS, I wouldn’t consider doing it any other way than on a bench as to minimize chances of creating interference with the magnet on the wheel bearing due to debris from your filing/dremeling falling into the area where the bearing sits.

You have to take the knuckle back off the car to verify the circlip isn’t what is impeding the sensor from going down into the hole.

How certain are you the circlip isn’t covering the hole and keeping the sensor from searing into the hole properly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure. I will plan to take it apart. I was worried about debris. When I look down the hole there is a definite small “shelf” that covers half of hole. Had no trouble with right wheel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That shelf you’re seeing is likely the circlip...or the bearing didn’t get fully seated into the knuckle when installed. However, I doubt the bearing being improperly seated is what’s causing your problem or you couldn’t have installed the circlip.

Make sure the opening of the circlip is oriented/aligned with your ABS hole and you're back in business!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again. I’ve run the car many miles with the defective sensor so the bearing is right. No troubles except idiot lights!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts