Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 UK 1.6 Zetec and my mechanic says the discs on the front are pretty crap. I have no reason to suspect they're anything other than the stock ones from Ford.

What would people recommend as a replacement? I'm not after super high performance carbon-ceramic £10K+ jobs but I don't want them to feel like they're made from wire wool either.

Some recommendations on new pads would also be nice too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Not sure what brands are available over the pond, but here are a few brands to check out:

Centric
StopTech
Hawk

These 3 usually have OE replacements that are better than the factory equipment. The performance jump wont be massive, but it can be noticeably better over the factory equipment.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ah well, the problem with E-bay searching is that you need to know what you're looking at - and the OP is in England where we don't know what would come up on his search.

EBC is the only one we see here that I'm sure he'd find there, and hasn't been mentioned yet for something a step up from stock.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
You are terrible jerk. ^^^^^
Ah ad hominem, my old friend, we meet again.

Seriously though. Ebay is great for finding good prices, but it's terrible for researching what to install on your car. ESPECIALLY when you are looking at equipment as critical as brakes.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
If you cats across the pond have dropped all asbestos on pads like over here then you will pretty much find that pads being semi-metallic for the most part to replace that will wear discs now at close to same rate as the pads. Metal to metal wear now and all that...............

·
Registered
30 Posts
How and where you drive is important. If its a daily driver that isn't pushed hard into brake zones, don't pay for more than you need. Conversely, if you are pushing it into braking zones, upgrading the brakes is the way to go. I have not found a noticeable difference in rotors. Switching from stock to cross drilled and slotted didn't feel like it was worth the investment to me so I stick with cheaper stock rotors. There a disposable wearing part and I don't want to "waste" funds if I don't need to. Brake pads on the other hand, totally different. Very noticeable difference in brands, types etc.. That's where I spend my money, great pads. Again, a wearing part but the better pads provide noticeable improvements which I need at auto-x and PDX events. BTW, my pad of choice, Carbotech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts