Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help removing my front bearings.

do i need a special tool to remove the front bearings? like a slide hammer with an attachment or something similar to that?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent really taking any parts out yet so im just trowing my thoughts so i need to take the hub to them to press the old ones out and press new ones in right? how much will this cost me around i have the bearings already.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what did your bearing sound like when it whent bad? to bad the pepboys i used to go is now closed..economy thing..

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
a loud whining noise! I would change it out ASAP!!

you dont want it going out on you! its scary!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dam man thats how its making the sound 2.did it made your rotors seem like the pads where not fully contacting against the rotor cuz mine doesnt seem to be making full contact and leaving dots on the rotors,might be worn lol

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
dam man thats how its making the sound 2.did it made your rotors seem like the pads where not fully contacting against the rotor cuz mine doesnt seem to be making full contact and leaving dots on the rotors,might be worn lol
YUP!!!

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
No problem man I just dont want you to go what I went through with it! it sucked!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
You can forgo needing to get the bearing pressed in/out by buying the entire spindle assembly with the bearing already installed,
but I'm not sure how much more expensive that would be.

If you have a large socket you can sometimes use that as a press (in a vice...or hammer it),
but you can also damage the spindle if you're not careful.
You'd also need snap ring pliers to pop off the snap ring first before pressing it out.

And, PumkinSvt is correct, if you're at the point he's describing, it's best/safest to take the car off-line till you can get it fixed.
I've seen bearings bust apart and catch the grease on fire! [eek]
^^^Not a pleasant experience!
You can also damage the axle if you let it go too far like that.

Oh...and another thing...
Make SURE you get the ABS tone ring re-installed on the new bearing if it doesn't come with one. [;)]

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
go to a place like murrays/O'Rileys and rent their bushing thingy, u pay the price of what its worth, then they give u the money back when u return it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i gotta do some work then... ummm hitting all them bad potholes prob caused this bearing to go out dont your think? i have actually bented 2 rims now, cant see them at night......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i goin to go rent it today to do this job tonight if posible. bearings are like 35 i belive i had them on shelf for about a month. so now im tired of hearing the this rubbing sound.also one more question i need to take the hub out to get the bearings out or i can do it while its still screw down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the bearing is the cheapest route.it is pressed in (interference fit). air hammer will sometimes get the out. "have to pay attention to the bearing and snap ring",because
the bearing is also the abs tone ring. (magnet on one side). dealer will press them if you
have the spindle off. the snap ring should be aligned at 12 oclock. abs bearings have different colored seals, orange and black. factory bearings, the black side is the magnet

·
Registered
12 Posts
the bearing is interference fit (tight). may come out with air hammer. probably needs to be pressed out. dealer will press if you have the spindle off. ""pay attention to the bearing and snap ring if you have abs"" as the bearing contains the magnet (tone ring)
factory bearings have different colored seals,orange and black. black side is the magnet.the snap ring sits at 12:00 . snap ring opening will align with the sensor. if the bearing is pressed in backwards,or wrong bearing,abs lamp will come on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts