Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dread the fall changeover to winter wheels and tires, using the standard steel winter rims which leave the front axle nuts out in winter's wrath...dirt, salt & ultimately rust.
While in my local hardware store, I spotted 2" plastic plumbing "cleanout caps" These fit the steel wheel 2" axle openings when the thread is removed from the caps. After rasping the thread off, (its real easy, its only ABS plastic, but don't remove too much material) apply grease, or whatever rust preventative you wish to the axle nut as well as all inner surfaces around the nut, and then hammer the caps in place (rubber mallet works best...these are plastic !!)
I have done this for 2 years on my 2012 5 door Focus, works great..especially in the Spring when you remove the caps and see the axle nuts in pristine condition. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Not a bad idea but I just use a healthy dollop of grease worked into the exposed threads. It's usually enough of a protective barrier and only takes a minute to reapply if it gets wiped off.
Always wondered why Ford put "dust cover" caps on the rear but not the fronts on the early cars.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Use electrical knockout plugs (Home Depot) for conduit, made of steel and like $2 each, painted they can even look like a factory cover and snap right in but stay put if you bend the tabs a bit to hold better. Been running them for years when the OEM $40 center covers broke the first time they were removed.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
There is no provision for dust caps on the front. Using the WHEEL opening for that cover.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Use electrical knockout plugs (Home Depot) for conduit, made of steel and like $2 each, painted they can even look like a factory cover and snap right in but stay put if you bend the tabs a bit to hold better. Been running them for years when the OEM $40 center covers broke the first time they were removed.
neat [thumb]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
FWIW it really isn't important, that's why there isn't a Factory cover.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Why is it there is always at least ONE in every crowd.................LOL

FYI I use the 2 1/2" diameter plug.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you've just replaced front cv half shafts thn nut/thread protection is golden seeing as so much was just dropped on those shafts.
Thanks for the suggestions. I already use HD Grease in threads to protect/allow easy removal of nuts. Will check out those covers next time in lowes/home dept

1 - 11 of 11 Posts