Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is my first post i will give a little background before explaining the topic. I am the owner of a 2000 Black ZX3. My current mods are:

Ford Racing Street Header
FC High-flow Cat
Bosal performance 2 1/4in. flex pipe
Thermal Reasearch and Development "stealth" cat-back
Fidanza 8.5 lb. Aluminum Flywheel
centerforce Dual Friction disc clutch
FC 65 mm. TB
FC underdrive pullies

I just recently installed the header and hi-flow cat and now my once stealth cat-back is ricier and louder than any honda fart cannon i have ever heard. I also lost most low-end power and can feel a flat spot in my powerband around 2700 rpm ( the exhaust gets the loudest and riciest at this point but then quiets down at higher rpm's)

This seems really strange to me, anyone have any ideas as to why i lost low-end power and why the exhaust gets ricey in the middle of the power band but then quiets down when the car starts to pull harder.

P.S. When the car is cold started and the cat hasn't had time to heat up the car pulls like crazy and is real quiet but then slows down and gets ricey.

·
Registered
42 Posts
no cat-bad is gonna be "stealth" when you open up the rest of the exhaust. thermal has a little higher tone than most exhausts, i've never heard an exhaust setup with a shorty header and highflow cat, but really as far as the loudness goes you're out of luck. really though, if you think it sounds ricier than any honda you've ever heard than you haven't heard enough hondas, sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe i should clarify myself, the point of this post was NOT to b*tch about a little noise, after all i have an aluminum flywheel that makes it sound like there is a woodpecker under the hood in neutral, i was wondering why i lost all my low-end power and have a flat spot in my power band after the addition of the header and cat and why the exhaust note becomes the loudest at that flat spot. maybe the "hi-flow" cat isn't so high flowing

when i first start my car in the morning the power band is smooth and the car really wants to pull hard, but then the trouble starts after the car heats up, i assume this is because the catalytic converter needs to heat up before it can function ( thats why cats are put so close to engines ) so i am assuming the cat is the problem. has anyone else had trouble with a FC hi-flow cat ?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Generally when you increase the flow through your exhaust, your hp moves to the higher end, and your torque goes to the lower end of the powerband. And not only from looking at your mod list do I see a whole exhaust overhaul, but I didn't see a single intake modification. Once you get your new intake/throttlebody, you'll want to invest in dyno time and new cam gears to adjust your powerband. Also, if I may ask, any reason in particular you got a new flywheel? Generally lightened flywheels on the zetec *cause* more problems than they help unless you're pushing gobs of power through forced induction 200+whp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the informative reply. I went with the flywheel because i had to replace the clutch on the car because it was slipping ( car had 30k miles on it when i bought it 4 months ago) i assume the woman i bought it from wasn't good at driving stick based on all the burns on the clutch and what not, so anyway i decided hey you don't go into your transmission that often why not put the lighter flywheel in ( stock flywheel was pretty glazed and burned too ) while i'm in there. wish i had put a limited slip in while i was in there but i can do that when i have to replace the clutch. did the project myself because i don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a stanger to play with the transmission, took a 3 day weekend to get it done

BTW i bought a Focus Sport intake about an hour ago in hopes of smoothing out the power band

I live about 20 min. from steeda autosports and they charge $75 for a base run and $150 an hour for tuning, is that a decent rate for dyno time ?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sounds about right, price wise, I know there was a tuning done in the chicago area 2 months ago, and it was 80 bucks I think and unlimited runs, then Extra for tuning/chip burns. Getting the trannie work done while you were in there was definetly a good idea, and you did it yourself too, i could never trust myself with such a delicate part. That intake will definetly help though, it's one of the better ones, amongst volant, and volant, and uhh volant. I'm curious though, how's your idle with the new flywheel? I've never been in a focus that actually had a new one, but i've heard that it chatters a bit and is a bit rough, but when you add the power it really supposedly makes a performance difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the idle is really smooth. The chatter was pretty loud at first but it comes and goes. Sometimes you hear it sometimes its as quiet as the stock setup. The chatter is kind of embarassing at drive thru windows when you pull up and sit there and all you hear is this loud chattering, but i just clutch to make it stop so i can talk to the person.

As for going into the tranny, that was some real hard work and don't really look forward to going back in there anytime soon but hopefully the limited slip will make it worth it, there is also something wrong with one of my sync rings so i have to clutch for an extra second before shifting into 3rd from second otherwise it will make a loud grind noise for a second. Think i will try pulling out the whole engine and tranny together and then seperate them next time rather than trying to jiggle the tranny out of the car with the engine supported by 2x4's and a floor jack, took an hour to find the right angle to be able to slide the tranny back on

went with the focus sport intake cuz i like the design and didn't want to pay the extra 50 for the volant and be like everyone else on this board

·
Registered
705 Posts
Um yeah, pretty much you have to tune the exhast cam because you have this huge loss of back pressure with out anything going in more.

Btw - Im down here in miami man, are you one of the guys from southfloridaracing.com that i sent over ??

Either way i am trying to get a few south florida foci togther.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know anything about southfloridaracing.com but i do live about an hour or so north of miami.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
I haven't had any low end power loss yet. I don't have header installed yet, but I have the rest of the exhaust done. I've actually gained a lot of low end power. The exhaust got louder when I added the Flex and hi-flow cat. I expect it to get even louder when I add the header.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
which noise te flywheel? get more torque and it should stop the sounds, the exhaust? you can get a resonator put on it which shouldnt hurt power but will dampen the sound, either way should have probably got Borla or MBRP, Lil_Red i have the FR head and RT cat, i put them on at the same time so i couldt tell you the difference on just the header but it got quite a bit louder after i installed them

·
Registered
705 Posts
Xnian pass by that forum at some point they have meets i guess just about where you live somethign like 441 and sample my name is the same over there im trying to see when they get together because a lot of them drive a focus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts