Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well, I took delivery on my 2012 Ford Focus Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5-speed on September 1st, and I'd thought I'd give my 2 cents on what I think of the car so far.

Pros
  • Fuel economy - I'm averaging around 31 mpg which is great (drive 90 miles round trip to work) with a mix of city and highway. My gas bill from my EVO X dropped from $400 a month to $180 a month :)
  • Handling - The car's handling is it's biggest highlight as far as performance goes. It feels very precise and corners quite well, and is just a comfortable ride over all.
  • SYNC - I got the 203A package and I've now determined that SYNC is a must for any car. The voice controlled device makes things so much easier to do. Going forward it's going to be tough to not buy a Ford because SYNC is so robust.
  • Design - The interior and exterior design and styling is class leading. Ford really made the right move using this for its global platform. Head and tails better than the previous gen Focus.
  • Clutch - While you do have to slip the clutch quite a bit to get into first, it otherwise shifts like butter. I test drove an automatic and it felt underpowered compared to the 5-speed, which is why I ended up getting the clutch.

Cons
  • Interior quality - While the interior design is top notch, the quality is sub par. The vinyl appears more plastic-like, the cloth on the seats feels cheap, and the leather wrapped steering wheel feels like it's woven together with thread. These issues are my biggest gripe with the car. I've owned a Mazda 3, Scion tC, and EVO X before the 2012 Focus, and the interior quality on all felt superior. Now, let's take the EVO out of the equation since it's in a different tier, but the Mazda and Scion are direct competitors.
  • Stains on the dash - There are two stains that are on the dash board that can't be removed. It appears as though they are embedded into the dash. I informed my dealer and they are contacting Ford to see what can be done. Hopefully they'll replace the dash.
  • No rear floor mats! - WTF?! This blew me away when my dealer told me the SE doesn't come with rear mats. So, I had to buy some extra.
  • Price - This car is overpriced. I feel that for the quality issues I described earlier this car should be cheaper.
  • Key Fob - I've noticed others have been experiencing this too, the fob doesn't always lock when you hit the button. A minor annoyance.

Overall, I'd give the car an 8/10 (7/10 w/o SYNC) for its class. If the quality was a little higher and Ford didn't skimp on the basics (floormats), I'd give it a 10/10. If you're in the market for a smooth driving car with great fuel economy you can't go wrong with the 2012 Focus.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interior quality - While the interior design is top notch, the quality is sub par. The vinyl appears more plastic-like, the cloth on the seats feels cheap, and the leather wrapped steering wheel feels like it's woven together with thread. These issues are my biggest gripe with the car. I've owned a Mazda 3, Scion tC, and EVO X before the 2012 Focus, and the interior quality on all felt superior. Now, let's take the EVO out of the equation since it's in a different tier, but the Mazda and Scion are direct competitors.
I just have to disagree with you there. I have the Titanium with leather and it is superb. All upholstered surfaces have very clean lines and seams. I'm not in my car right now but I cant think of where there is any vinyl. The dash is top notch with its soft-touch material and every door closes with a affirmative thud. The steering wheel leather is a little thin I agree, but I appreciate it as I do not have large hands and any larger would start to be uncomfortable.

I don't mean to be rude but could you tie your statements to some pictures so we could see what your talking about? Maybe your interior was put together by a bad apple?

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is some vinyl.

Ford did a good job of hiding it. The surfaces you touch the most are soft-touch.

Look at the door area below the arm rest. Its cheap vinyl.

But lets be honest here, any car is going to have that. My Cadillac SRX and BMW X3 had/have it.

I think the interior quality is fantastic for the cars price range.

As far as mats go. You didn't pay for the top level so you are missing some items. That is how manufacturers get the cost down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just have to disagree with you there. I have the Titanium with leather and it is superb. All upholstered surfaces have very clean lines and seams. I'm not in my car right now but I cant think of where there is any vinyl. The dash is top notch with its soft-touch material and every door closes with a affirmative thud. The steering wheel leather is a little thin I agree, but I appreciate it as I do not have large hands and any larger would start to be uncomfortable.

I don't mean to be rude but could you tie your statements to some pictures so we could see what your talking about? Maybe your interior was put together by a bad apple?
I should clarify that I have the sport cloth seats. I'm sure the leather seats are great, but the Titanium is more expensive. I'll try and get some shots of the stains tonight so you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as mats go. You didn't pay for the top level so you are missing some items. That is how manufacturers get the cost down.
I disagree here. Both my Scion and Mazda came with them. I would prefer Ford just added $50 to the window sticker and added them in. I know they're trying to cut costs, it just seemed like mats would be a necessity.

·
Registered
254 Posts

The SEL and Titanium models have an upgraded interior.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Is it anything more than the Leather and center console?
Leather isn't even standard. The Ti differences are all cosmetic from the SEL. Titanium colored accents around the side air vents and the center stack plastics for the air vents and AC surround, etc. are all exclusive to the Ti. Otherwise it's the same center console and material set as the SEL. The SE center console is different but can't imagine that the hard plastic it's made from is different from the bigger SEL/Ti console.

As far as the OP goes, my Mazdaspeed 3 was far inferior to this car and it was the top tier Mazda 3 at the time, MS3 GT with leather/alcantara, BOSE system, etc. and like I said, far inferior to my Focus.

My sisters gen1 tC even when brand new was also far inferior. It's full of weird textured ultra hard plastic that's a pain in the ass to clean. Couldn't tell you about the 2nd generation of either car though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to disagree about the interior quality. I've driven a lot of cars in this segment and nearby segments as I've been trying to decide what I want to replace my current Focus.

I found the interior on the Focus to be better than all competitors except for perhaps the Golf. There's far better use of soft-touch materials. Also, the seats are wonderful, particularly the SE Sport Pack seats.

Now I have not driven a Mazda3 lately. But every single comparison I've ever read states clearly that interior quality is one of the Mazda3's shortcomings compared to newer competitors like the Hyundai Elantra and Focus. To each their own, but I don't think it's fair to say the Mazda3 has a general interior quality advantage over much of anything in the compact space.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also have to disagree with you on the interior my friend has a mazda3,brother has a mustang GT,and another friend has a subaru wrx sti and i think that the focus has the same quality interior as any of these cars.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i like my car overall but ford designers must have been on 'ludes when they did the following:
1.. glove box is very difficult to access from driver seat as the box is 'in' the dash instead of on the glove box door as in most vehicles. the box is far too deep and shallow (height) to really put anything in it... my old focus had a far more usable glove box that could double as a small suitcase.

2.. im 6' and never had problems finding a comfortable driving postion but this '12 focus is bad for me.. seat bottoms are too short and so offer little lower thigh support for long drives.
3...for the 25K i paid, the power seat should have an up/down adjustment... the current adjustment is attached to the forward/rearward movement of the seat and is inadequate. My old focus had a manual seat w/ better adjustments than this car!
4.. the dash intrudes into the cabin too much making things seem cramped (tho they really aren't)
5.. The guage binnacle isn't angled up enuf for anyone over 5.10 or so AND the guage lettering should be white on black for good visibility... all the grey is very difficult to see when wearing polarised sun glasses and when the sun is shining on the guage cluster... Again,, these were not problems w/ old focus.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'm 5'6" and have the seat a decent portion of the way "up" via the power controls. Setting it lower would easily accommodate anyone taller than me and up to 6'+ as far as viewing the gauges.

New car, new problems, some have them, some don't. I don't have any visibility issues with the gauges or cluster, no issues with the seats, etc. but I'm different than you. To each their own as far as preferences go, but things like seats and power adjustments can't be generalized because each person is different.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like the interior (the dash/seats/switchgear), but the door panel plastics are pretty hard. It is not exactly 'premium' but is nicer IMO than my '04 Focus. I have an '07 Mazda3s, though, and it's interior seems to be of a far higher quality (both in assembly and materials). That isn't true for the newest Mazda3, though (those do look kind of chintzy).

I have seen many SEL's/Titaniums and, though some of the materials are improved (rear door panels, for instance), they are still not VW Golf/GTI-class.

All in all, I think that the interior (on all levels) is pretty decent for the money you pay, though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm 5'6" and have the seat a decent portion of the way "up" via the power controls. Setting it lower would easily accommodate anyone taller than me and up to 6'+ as far as viewing the gauges.

New car, new problems, some have them, some don't. I don't have any visibility issues with the gauges or cluster, no issues with the seats, etc. but I'm different than you. To each their own as far as preferences go, but things like seats and power adjustments can't be generalized because each person is different.
I'm 6'4 and have the seat"almost" cranked down all the way and my head still has plenty of room. If i crank it down all the way its way to low. The focus can fit any size perfectly and its hard for me to fit into alot of compact cars

and as for interior its great. Most cars now are only give cars good "touch points" where they put high quality materials on parts of the you touch often. this makes sense. I dont car if the top of my dashboard is cheap i never touch that. I have the SE soprt with the leather steering wheel and shift package and its fantastic. its all your guys fault for buying the extra 3k for only a few extra piece of leather that you may never touch..... winning!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi guys,
Cons
  • Interior quality - While the interior design is top notch, the quality is sub par. The vinyl appears more plastic-like, the cloth on the seats feels cheap, and the leather wrapped steering wheel feels like it's woven together with thread. These issues are my biggest gripe with the car. I've owned a Mazda 3, Scion tC, and EVO X before the 2012 Focus, and the interior quality on all felt superior. Now, let's take the EVO out of the equation since it's in a different tier, but the Mazda and Scion are direct competitors.
  • Key Fob - I've noticed others have been experiencing this too, the fob doesn't always lock when you hit the button. A minor annoyance.
I'd have to disagree with you on the interior quality. I felt that the interior was great and the soft-touch on the dash felt awesome. The civic on the other hand, I found ridiculously cheap/bad when I compared these cars. The focus' seats, I think have some pretty nice quality. The texture feels good and they give good support. I'm 6'2" and thin and love the seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I must be the lone minority here when it comes to the vinyl interior, lol. Ah well, to each his own. I still enjoy the car overall :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts