Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was being an idiot going a little too fast and I had a tire blowout in the middle of a hairpin and the car instantly spun around, and I flipped the car over a small embankment (which reminds me, never, EVER buy those cheap 17/205/40 tires off ebay). This was in Oct of last year

The car sat idol for most of the winter, started every so often to maintain the battery.

Well in about March I noticed that the battery was dead, and found that the hot power wire for my amp in the trunk had come loose and shorted out on the metal causing blackening of the wire-end and the surface of the metal.

I charged the battery back up, started it, and none of the needles in my cluster work anymore. I am not sure if this is related to the short, or something else (like condensation, or something).

Regardless, everything else in the cluster works (info lights, etc.) so I need to figure out if the cluster is bad somehow from sitting (the car sat without a rear windsheild, but was pretty well sealed with tarp and duct-tape) or the short caused something to mess up.

So I guess my question is, is there anything else to check in the car? I know some cars have breakers, and the such, but I don't have a wiring diagram layout for the focus so I'm pretty blind on that part.

I've already used a port-a-jack to jack the metal back out to be prepped for bondo, and the rest is ready to go, I just need to figure out this frickin cluster problem - gremlins aren't my bag... any ideas?

One more thing, occasionally when I start the car, the needles will move slightly, but wont register anything correctly.

[?|]

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh and the fuses for the cluster in the dash by the drivers knee aren't blown (I think 41 and 61 are the two for the cluster, I looked it up in the manual and pulled them out and checked them on a voltmeter's continuity check, they're good)

I also pulled the cluster out and re-seated the wire plug several times to no avail...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
What's your LCD doing? Is it dead too, or are there dashes? I had a similar problem when I was doing my clutch master cylinder, I pulled the engine bay fuse box out too far and pulled a wire loose in the process, which killed power to the computer and resulted in a dead cluster, in addition to not being able to start. The LCD had dashes on and the "O/D Off" light was on (which pretty much indicated computer malfunction because I have a manual.)

There's also the possibility that the short with your amp wire fried the cluster, but I doubt it. It would take a pretty good jolt going through the body before you'd get enough power going back through the ground wires to cause any damage. Have you pulled the cluster out yet? Maybe the wiring harness came loose somehow...? Or its also possible that a mouse or other rodent nested behind the cluster and chewed the wires. I would suspect that more than moisture causing the problem. Other than that...its hard to say, there's any number of issues that could be causing this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SkaAddict said:
What's your LCD doing? Is it dead too, or are there dashes? I had a similar problem when I was doing my clutch master cylinder, I pulled the engine bay fuse box out too far and pulled a wire loose in the process, which killed power to the computer and resulted in a dead cluster, in addition to not being able to start. The LCD had dashes on and the "O/D Off" light was on (which pretty much indicated computer malfunction because I have a manual.)

There's also the possibility that the short with your amp wire fried the cluster, but I doubt it. It would take a pretty good jolt going through the body before you'd get enough power going back through the ground wires to cause any damage. Have you pulled the cluster out yet? Maybe the wiring harness came loose somehow...? Or its also possible that a mouse or other rodent nested behind the cluster and chewed the wires. I would suspect that more than moisture causing the problem. Other than that...its hard to say, there's any number of issues that could be causing this.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, everything else works, the OD counts miles, the info lights around the needles all work, it's just the needles themselves that are being retarded.

Yeah I did pull it out (the cluster) and re-seat the signal wires connector several times...

I did a search on the forum and found out how to do the guage sweep and dTC test mode, so I'm going to try that today and see what I get. I'll also check the engine bay fuse box as I haven't done that yet (didn't know there were so many damn fuse boxes).

Any other idea's?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I did the testmode/guage sweep. I guess the needles are supposed to move when you do this right? Well they didn't budge, so I guess my problem resides in the cluster itself? All the data is listed on the odometer such as speed, tach, temp, etc....

Another question, does it display fuel level as well in the odometer with the speed, tach, temp, etc? If so what does it look like? I recognised everything else but couldn't tell what was the fuel (if it was even listed)

If it will display the fuel I could get by with the needles not working until I figure out something to do.

So based on this do you all believe my problem is in the cluster itself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Sounds to me like it might be something wrong with the cluster itself...if you can get the LCD to display the MPH/RPMs (etc.) then that pretty much indicates the computer is working fine. Did you notice if the gauges were still working after the accident? I hate to say it, but you might either have to buy a new cluster and see if that fixes it, and if it doesn't you'll have to go to the dealer and have them check the wiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts