Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
i was wondering if you know of any ways other than weight reduction to add speed without adding cost (or... MUCH cost)

One way i seem to have found (no actual numbers, just the feel of the car) is that on the right hand side of your engine compartment (this is zx3) you'll see a little black box coming off the intake... hmmm... its a silencer... that restricts airflow... hmmm yank that b!tch off (well, take apart the air filter and gently pry it out. lol). Result. Cooler sounding engine, and what seems to be a bit of a power boost from freeer airflow. ANyoen else have any kind of tips like this?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I don't have any free mods, really, but I can tell you that UltegraSTI claims that removal of that little resonator tube actually results in a loss of power. I have run my SVT with that thing on and off and the only difference I have noted is the intake is much louder with it removed.

It seems to me like it would BLOCK airflow into the filter since it sits sandwiched between the main air intake at the bottom of the airbox and the filter. So I decided just to drill holes in it. Six good-sized holes (about 15/16 of an inch) all the way through. That way air being pushed in from the large main air snorkel (like when I'm travelling down the freeway) has passages to flow through rather than working it's way around the smaller tube. No discernable difference though, but that's probably because I don't have an engineering degree and don't know what the hell I'm doing. Whatever, it was a fun little 30 minute project. [8]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
take out your air filter

your kidding right? taking off your air filter will maybe give you .5 hp... but it will make your engine wear out much faster.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Ha ha, smart guy. [rolleyes] No air filter = no engine after enough miles driving without it. No catalytic converter = no passing of emissions test. But I think it was pretty obvious you were joking. You were, weren't you?? [confused]

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Yes. I thought this kind of question deserved this kind of answer. If there was free speed everyone would have it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took the resonater off of my car. But instead of letting it breath through that hole I put a small piece of plastic over it and glued it there. That way there is no loss of pressure in the air box. So hopefully no power loss. But still the better sounding intake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That hole there, when i was runnign the engine and revving it, SUCKED more air in rather than blew any out or lost any kind of pressure i could tell. Yeah, you are right Infra, if there was free power, everyone would have it... i just wanted to see if i was the only one missing something. :) I am new at modding or engine work at all, so i dont know! go easy on me.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
i had the filter off of my aem short ram the other day and it idled whoreably! i thought the car was broke then i saw the damn filter sitting in the back seat and was like ***t!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
JayDubFocus - Sorry.
llama_in_a_focus - Its ok to run the car for a little while without the filter. It just depends on how much stuff gets sucked in.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Running without the filter isn't the end of the world. If you drove through the desert during a sandstorm, I might be worried. If you drove with it off for 10,000 miles in a dusty or dirty environment, I might be worried. But a little driving without it on isn't going to mean the death of your engine. What happens with it off is that particulates are allowed to enter your engine - the only particles you want to worry about are the kind that don't burn. For example, if a dead leaf from a tree got sucked in - it would just burn up in the cylinder. But if sand got sucked in, it would score the cylinder walls, and enough of that will lead to a damaged engine.

Wooo! I just noticed this is post number *666* freaky, man. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
42 Posts
boring intake mainifold and throttle body is free, won't give much power but it's definitely worth the time. I think you can only do the intake manifold on the 2000 model though, don't know, have tried it on mine.

you can cut the shifter for free to make a short shifter, that's about it for completely free. there are lot of cheap things you can do that'll make the car run better though (better air filter, good spark plugs, good oil/lubricants)

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
thom: as long as its plastic, you can port it... port the tb, port the manifold, cut out a hole under the airbox and run piping to the bottom grill, cut the cat out (not gut) and add a straight pipe...but the best is weight reduction.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
this is just too funny now :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
SVT4ME said:
Ha ha, smart guy. [rolleyes] No air filter = no engine after enough miles driving without it. No catalytic converter = no passing of emissions test. But I think it was pretty obvious you were joking. You were, weren't you?? [confused]

You don't need the convertor to pass the emissions test. Correct, it won't pass the visual, but as long as the engine is running properly and tuned properly, you wont have a problem. I've seen some pretty creative covers for straight pipes if you're into all that work. I know from experience. I had an '88 T-Bird with gutted convertors (I drove to long w/ a check engine light on) and 160,000 miles on it. At the test, it was cleaner than my Moms' Crown Vic w/ 40,000 mi.

Really though, I have to question the gains of removing a properly functioning c.c. When Saleen was asked why they used the factory 5.0L Y pipe on their 500 hp S351, they said that they only saw about a 15 hp increase and it wasn't worth the money to have a new assembly engineered and certified. True, that's 15 hp, but on an engine that is making more than twice the hp that the assy. was designed for. Supercharged nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts