Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 2004 Focus ZX5 with the 2.3L....

anyway i was wondering if there are any cheap or even free mods i can do to my car to improve proformance?

thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The free or cheap mods are more along the line of "show"
Like the fog lamps staying on with the high beams or the lights that are in the power doorlock switches.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You can take the resonator off of the air box. Gives it a little better sound (induction noise).

If you have an ATX, there's a cheap mod you can do which involves a 27 cent resistor from Radio Shack that will make the trans shift a little crisper.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Blurvfocus said:
You can take the resonator off of the air box. Gives it a little better sound (induction noise).

If you have an ATX, there's a cheap mod you can do which involves a 27 cent resistor from Radio Shack that will make the trans shift a little crisper.
Please doooo tell, I'm interested !!! (I already have the chip but if it makes it evan firmer Wooohhoooo !!)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
ztecpower said:
Please doooo tell, I'm interested !!! (I already have the chip but if it makes it evan firmer Wooohhoooo !!)
This was discussed (argued about) quite a while ago, to my knowledge nobody tried it, or at least they haven't said so. Here's what you do:

Take out your battery and battery tray so you can see the top of the trans better. There is a round electrical connector on the ATX that you disconnect and pull the split loom off (as far as you can without damaging it) to expose the wires inside. You'll see a black /red wire and 2 green/orange wires. One of the green/orange wires occupies a corner position on the plug- YOU DO NOT WANT THAT ONE. Take the other Green/orng wire and the black/red wire and carefully strip off some insulation and tap into each one with with a length of similiar gage wire, and run those two new wires to a convenient place, like up next to the air cleaner. Solder those two connections , carefully tape them, put the split loom back on, and reconnect the plug, reinstall the battery, etc. Now solder a 60 ohm resistor (1 watt minimum) across the free ends of the new wires and secure the wires to something with a wire tie (the resistor might get hot, it shouldn't be touching anything) and presto! You're done.

All you're doing is shunting a load across a solenoid so that the solinoid won't respond as much to imputs from the computer. This steps up the pressure a little, giving better shifts and raising the shift points slightly (it seems). I've been using a 100 ohm resistor (higher values = less effect), and it makes a nice difference. I'm anxious to try the 60 ohm job, but first I have to remember to pick one up when I'm in town.

As far as your already having a chip, I'd GUESS this will still work, unless the chip already completely disables that solenoid at WOT or something.

So that's it, it works, and by the way, I got the approval from my buddy, the transmission shop manager before I did it. He says it's an OK thing to do; it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Do note that making a modification that alters the shifting firmness and the internal pressures of the transmission as dicussed above will almost certainly void your transmission warranty, and such modifications to a wiring harness are rather difficult to "put back they way they were" if it breaks and you must take it back to the dealer for warranty.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I guess I forgot that everybody's warranty isn't kaput like mine is"

Don't you have the extended powertrain warranty? I though everyone got that for free?

Or do you have a lot of miles on it?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't know, really. I bought this thing used a little over a year ago from a used car dealer and I got one of those aftermarket 6-month warranties or some such thing. Nothing was ever said about the original warranty and I just assumed there wasn't any. It had 15K on it when I bought it and it just turned 50K now.

If you think I have some kind of warranty, fill me in... Please!

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
^^^^I think maybe there should be, unless if the original owner never got one? But that couldn't be. I don't even have the slightest clue on how you could get that info, try contacting Ford or start with a Ford Delearship? Just ask them how do you find out if you still have a warranty and so forth?? Just my suggestions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Blurvfocus said:
I don't know, really. I bought this thing used a little over a year ago from a used car dealer and I got one of those aftermarket 6-month warranties or some such thing. Nothing was ever said about the original warranty and I just assumed there wasn't any. It had 15K on it when I bought it and it just turned 50K now.

If you think I have some kind of warranty, fill me in... Please!
Your signature says you have a 2001. I believe Ford started giving away the 100k mi powertrain warranty with the 2003 model-year.

You can go here and pretend you want a quote on an ESP. After you enter your VIN, it will tell you if you're already covered.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been using a 100 ohm resistor (higher values = less effect), and it makes a nice difference. I'm anxious to try the 60 ohm job, but first I have to remember to pick one up when I'm in town.
Went to radio shack and picked up a 100 ohm resistor today... however there were a couple different kinds. hoping the 1/2 watt 5% one was the right one. Does it make much of a difference? I'm a super noob when it comes to electronics.

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
I would think you would need at least a 12v resistor due to the car's electrical system being 12v? I'm not 100% on that, but that's what I would have looked for.

Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts