Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching on this site and numerous other via google. There seems to be a lot of heated debate regarding Fram Air Filters. A lot of people swear by them and the other half dis-like them.

When I bought my Focus, I started off with purchasing a new Fram air filter via Walmart for about $7.00. I seem to love it, it picks out the dirt, and is very cost effective. So cost effective, that I replace the filter every 3,000 miles I do an oil change. Since I do the oil change myself, I save that money anyway.

What do yall use for drop in air filter replacements?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If you just want a drop in factory replacement filter, a paper Fram is fine. If you want something that flows more air, look elsewhere.

I swear by my K/N drop in. Picked it up on sale for like $30 a long, long time ago.

·
FUBARCUS
7,760 Posts
I buy whatever filter is cheapest and install that. A filter is a filter when it comes to DD status. Heck even 1-2 hp difference won't be noticeable.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
customers focus at work had issues with aftermarket filter. i think it was on 2010 focus. the filter didnt fit correctly, i think it was a fram.

·
FUBARCUS
7,760 Posts
customers focus at work had issues with aftermarket filter. i think it was on 2010 focus. the filter didnt fit correctly, i think it was a fram.
I didn't know the 2010 was serviceable like that. I thought it too had the lifetime filter from ford like the 03-04 pzevs and other duratecs. Not that I'm doubting you, i just didn't know.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
This is one of those questions that everyone has strong opinions on. From is the filter of choice for Ferrari believe it or not, even the 1 million dollar ones. I use K&N for air and whatever good quality one for oil, meaning not the base model filter for whatever brand. Filters generally only fail inside, collapse, if you throttle the car hard before the oil temps are high enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is you look inside a fram and a different air filter after a few hundred miles if that, all the paper is torn. it's horrible they even sell them. Buy a K&N.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I STRONGLY dislike K&N. They are high flow filters designed for use in competition vehicles where engine life is not an issue. They like to use that idea to sell stuff for normal driving. Yes they increase power but they let in too much crap.

Fram and the other house brands are good for daily driving. Wix is the best aside from special ordering those other european brands and the like. I wish wix would make cone filters for car applications but they only do for a few high performance cars and off road vehicles.

No I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, that's just been my gathered knowledge. lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
Only had an issue with 1 Fram air filter in 26 years of using them in any of the 19 cars I've owned. It looked like something hot was laid on the rubber frame, putting a dent in it. It wouldn't seal the airbox completely, so I took it back. Otherwise, they've been trouble free. I've never seen a torn one.

On the other hand....I've been a member of several auto forums over the years, and I've read more than a few cases of elevated silicone levels in used oil analyses that directly corrolated to the use of a K&N filter. It was basically allowing tiny particles of sand into the intakes of a few Mazda 3s belonging to members. To that, I gotta say 'no thanks'..especially for a maximum of a 3hp gain.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile
Ive always got k&n filters. Never had one problem with them but for a daily driver any filter will do.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
k&n's don't appear as a problem until the engine has seen quite a few miles. take one apart and see how dusted the engine is. if you don't plan on keeping it for a while too, just roll with it.

I will say I do not like fram oil filters one bit but that's off topic. only wix or OEM for those.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Amsoil does not make a drop in replacement for their Ea Nano filter do they?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile
Well let me add this point. When i use to do some offroading with my f-150 my intake tube use to be dirty after filter so for off road use i wouldnt use em.

·
So mote be it
8,802 Posts
I didn't know the 2010 was serviceable like that. I thought it too had the lifetime filter from ford like the 03-04 pzevs and other duratecs. Not that I'm doubting you, i just didn't know.
I'm fairly certain of the 08+ duratecs, only the pzev's came with the non serviceable filters. So just the poor 03-07 duratec's got stuck with the non-serviceable ones. k&n's part for the '08-11's

I've been happy with the ITG filter on my CAI but thats not drop in and not an option for those with stock intakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts