Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy cams for my car. My choice is between FR stg. 2 or comp cams stg. 2. As i have heard they are both drop-in installation so i dont have to mess with anything else. What once would be best?

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
they are similar in performance but from what i HEARD the comp's are the only drop in ones up to stage II, whereas frII's are not drop in

·
Registered
239 Posts
It all depends on what kind of power you are looking for. The Comp stage 2 are more aggressive that the FR 2's. Comp's are 220 Duration on the intake and Exhaust @ .050.

FR 2's are a split duration cam with the intake duration at 214 and the Exhaust 210 duration @ .050.

Comps are also hard to get. They have been on back order for quite a while. I would check on that if I were you.

Comp Cams are the better value for the money but FR2's are a very good cam.

Just remamber that FR cams are made to Ford Specs. They tend to be more compatible.

If you have an ATX go with the FR2's for sure.

The more aggressive the cam the less streetability.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok... what about comp cams stg 2. vs. stg 3.... are the stg 3 still drop in instalation or will i need springs and retainers?

·
Registered
862 Posts
These cams should not need the head ground for clearance but will need the valve lash set. The Comp cams will be flat on torque compared to the FR2 's. Topend power will be very close with the comps being a little stronger on top. The FR2 cams are my first choice in a street cam. I have tuned them all.

·
Registered
813 Posts
fokuzx3 said:
they are similar in performance but from what i HEARD the comp's are the only drop in ones up to stage II, whereas frII's are not drop in
FRII's aren't drop in? The only thing that needs to be done is swapping of buckets. That's needed for any cam install. No head work required. Have you had a different experiance?

·
Registered
789 Posts
no cam is drop in. if you have to change something in the engine it isn't drop in. with every cam install you have to measure each bucket and get the right size for each valve. if a cam has a lift of .390 or less then the manufacturer will say that it is "drop in", but in all reality it isn't. when you break the .390 threashold, that is when you have to start doing headwork to keep your valves from getting smacked and beat to shit.

osiris_vdc said:
FRII's aren't drop in? The only thing that needs to be done is swapping of buckets. That's needed for any cam install. No head work required. Have you had a different experiance?

·
Registered
813 Posts
focusfreak03 said:
no cam is drop in. if you have to change something in the engine it isn't drop in. with every cam install you have to measure each bucket and get the right size for each valve. if a cam has a lift of .390 or less then the manufacturer will say that it is "drop in", but in all reality it isn't. when you break the .390 threashold, that is when you have to start doing headwork to keep your valves from getting smacked and beat to shit.
I agree. I was a little confused by fokuzx3's comment about FRII's somehow being more difficult to install than Comp 2s.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
osiris_vdc said:
sorry, what i meant by this is that i did need relashings/buckets for my cam install, my car wouldnt even turn over after the install, but i have heard that comp IIs can go right in w/o modding of the lashes, thats what i heard from the comp website

·
Registered
958 Posts
i guess...maybe if u miraculously had all the right size buckets...then you could just drop them in...either way though, the fr 2's or the comps, you're going to need to check valve lash and very likely have to make adjustments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stupid ?'s: whats a valve lash and what kind of adjustmensts i might have to make?

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is a clearance that must be maintained. It's the distance between the buckets and the back of each cam lobe. You need a feeler guage and make sure that all the gaps aren't too small or too big. I don't recall off the top of my head what that cleance tolerance is though. Sorry.

EDIT:

For reference here is a picture of the motor with the valve cover off and the cams removed. The shiny disks are the buckets:

Hope that helps a little.

EDIT:

Oh, heh, I didn't explain the buckets. In order to adjust the size of the gap you remove the buckets and put in buckets that are either taller or shorter to adjust the lash so the gap is within the afore mentioned gap.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks. valve lash= valve clearance. so make sure valve clearance is .004 to .007 intake and .011 to .013 exhaust side. according to haynes. where can i buy the correct size buckets it i need to get some and how much do those usually run? Did you have any that needed to be replaced?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You get the buckets from any Ford dealer Cost $5-15 each depending on dealer. You can swap around some of the buckets you already have, but usually you need to buy at least 2-3. It's OK to be maybe .001-.002" loose, but no tighter than specs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is this somehting that the ford dealer has in stock or will they have to order it? Ill have to tell em the size that i need right?

·
Registered
813 Posts
That's correct. You will have to tell them what size you need. So there in lies a problem. You can't determine which size you need until you have the new cams installed and all the valve lashes checked. Then you determine what size buckets you need. Then you order the buckets from Ford and wait for them to arrive. My car was out of comission for ~4 days for a cam install.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
not to be dumb but what would exactly happen if you just dropped in lets say FR stage 2 cams with no change in buckets? would it just shred itself

·
Registered
813 Posts
There are a few things that could happen. If the valve lash is too small you run the risk of the cams either shearing the top of the buckets off or ramming the valve so far open it makes contact with the head. Another case being valve lash being too big in which case the bucket springs out and the cam lobe gets caught on the bucket and you end up smashing the bucket and damaging the cam lobe or bending up the entire cam. The last case is, you're lucky and nothing happens. Don't leave it to chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts