Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tick is coming from the gearbox. Mine is a manual transmission. The noise is when clutch is up (no foot on pedal) doesn't do it every time but probably 65% of the time. Is this common? It's coming from the back of the transmission not up by the clutch and what not. Any ideas?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
So my tick is coming from the gearbox. Mine is a manual transmission. The noise is when clutch is up (no foot on pedal) doesn't do it every time but probably 65% of the time. Is this common? It's coming from the back of the transmission not up by the clutch and what not. Any ideas?
It is not only common, it is almost universal if you have the MTX-75 5 speed manual transmission. The noise is called gear mesh rattle or rollover rattle. You will hear it when the clutch is not depressed and the noise subsides when you push in the clutch. The noise is exacerbated by the dual mass flywheel on the MTX-75. The noise becomes more noticeable when the engine is hot and the ambient temperature is high.

Is that the transmission that's in the 2014 focus? It said made in Germany but that is all I know about it.
The MTX-75 is in the 2014 Focus and that transmission has been around for over twenty years. (Debuted in 1992.)

Is there anyway to minimize the noise?
Keep the clutch depressed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the transmission that's in the 2014 focus? It said made in Germany but that is all I know about it.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
My MTX75 sounds like an old diesel tractor when hot! Just turn on the radio and voilà!
Problem Solved!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Btw, its 2000000% normal...its been like this since the first MTX75 in the 90s.

Its worse on the current gen because of the dual mass flywheel and low idle rpm (save fuel)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts