Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking apart the gauge cluster and found this hacked up wiring above the steering column and underneath the gauges. Any idea what is going on here?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
It looks like the ring that's around the ignition cylinder that gets the signal from the chip in your key.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the ring that's around the ignition cylinder that gets the signal from the chip in your key.
Its supposed to be around the ignition cylinder? I don't know if you can tell from the pic but there are 4 wires that were cut off there.

I don't have a door key or a wireless remote. All I got was an ignition key. It sounds like this must be part of the reason why. Right now I can't even lock the car.

Man. I hope I can fix this.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Maybe the previous owner had some issues and hacked it up. I did see the cut wiring on the green piece. Some peole will move the ring and put the chip near it. That's so a non-chip key can be cut an used. If your key doesn't fit the doorlocks, then someone hacked instead of fixing. I have no solution. Just keep poking around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TerryB. Unfortunately I have no knowledge about how this works so hopefully I can figure it out.

Regarding your comment about the chip, is it possible that that is a chipped key that is taped to that plastic ring? I did notice that when I shoved that taped piece down next to the steering column the car wouldn't start until I pulled it back out so I assume that has something to do with it.

Edit: I actually found your post about this in another thread with a picture and explanation of the ring and the bypass for the key.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I guess you could peel back the tape to see what's there. It would have been easier to take the chip out of a key. They're only about 1/8" round x 1/2" long. That big wad of tape does have a key shape to it. If you need new transponder keys, I think they're quite pricey from the dealer. They'd have to do some programming and you'd have to figure out getting the ring where it belongs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess you could peel back the tape to see what's there. It would have been easier to take the chip out of a key. They're only about 1/8" round x 1/2" long. That big wad of tape does have a key shape to it. If you need new transponder keys, I think they're quite pricey from the dealer. They'd have to do some programming and you'd have to figure out getting the ring where it belongs.
Thanks. Its starting to make more sense. I'm concerned about the cut wires though, wonder whats the deal with that. I'm going to go poke around in the junkyard today and see if I can find one with the wiring harness intact, maybe I can remove one from a junk car.

I can go either way as far as whether or not the PATS system is bypassed or not. I do need to figure out how to get keys for everything though.

Also I was confused about what appears to be a key taped in there. I'm thinking that the plastic broke off on the key and they drilled a hole on the side for the keyring, that would explain why it looks odd compared to the normal key. I don't have the car right now but I'll take a look later today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I was able to go to the junkyard today. I looked at an intact PATS ring around the ignition cylinder and the cut wires were on it as well. So obviously that is how it comes from the factory.

I did untape the key and found that it would unlock my door but won't work on the ignition cylinder. Is this normal to have a different key? Or did someone change the ignition cylinder? The retrieved key with the chip also doesn't open the trunk. But now I at least have a working door key and a working ignition key after getting copies made. I'm going to consider this solved for the moment.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Someone replaced the ign. lock in a cheesy manner.

COULD have keyed it to match, but didn't.

THEN they bypassed the system in a more complicated manner than necessary by removing that ring & taping the key to it. COULD have just taped the chip from the key next to the ring in it's normal location.

You COULD put it back together and get a replacement lock cyl. keyed to match. Then it would work properly. Locksmith MIGHT be able to key the cyl you've got, might need a new one.

Luck

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Well, I'll give an A+ for ingenuity and a D- for execution. Someone had the brains to figure out what the problem was, then totally half-assed the solution. It should have been done correctly in the first place, or at least a lot neater. At least you know where you're at now and finish the job if you choose to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad to see nothing seems to be damaged for them most part.

Really it would be nice to have RKE and remote start. I guess you need 2 chipped keys to program RKE? If I was to get a copy of the chipped key to have 2 total, and then also have the ignition cyl. redone to get the keys all consistent would that qualify as having 2 keys to program the RKE?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You only need the one chipped key to program RKE transmitters.

You DO need two to program an additional key yourself, otherwise it's Dealer or SOME locksmiths to do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You only need the one chipped key to program RKE transmitters.

You DO need two to program an additional key yourself, otherwise it's Dealer or SOME locksmiths to do it.

Does that mean I could program RKE remote in its current state (and with different ign. cyl. key but with chipped key in dash)?

Also, sorry but what do you mean by "program additional key yourself"? are you talking about chipped key?

The hardware store near me said they can make chipped keys but of course its not cheap.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yup - you can program RKE right now.

You've got a chip by the ring, and a key to turn the lock - that's all you need.

Watch out for HDWE store "chipped" keys, I've heard of those "copies". They're called clones - copy the key you've got with a battery powered replica - battery dies so does the key. Temporary expedient only.

A second chipped key needs to be programmed into the ECM, and that takes the right computer plugged into the OBD port. Once you have two, you can program an extra yourself once it's cut to fit the lock. BOTH keys are needed to program an additional one, the point is that you can loan the car & a key, leave it for parking etc., and even IF they make a duplicate on you it'll only get into the car - no good for starting it. SECURITY is the reason for all this, otherwise the "chip" wouldn't make it much more secure.

"clone" plus matching original doesn't count as two keys BTW.

Clear as Mud?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clear as Mud?
Lol yeah. Thanks! When I'm off work I'll take another look at this post and make some decisions.

another thing and I kinda glossed over the post since I'm busy at work but my dad was looking for replacement rke remotes, he said they were on ebay cheap, would those work in my situation?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update, I did get the RKE remotes programmed today after many many tries and much frustration.

As it turns out, the instructions in the manual did not work at all. The instructions that I used were from a random post on focaljet forums...

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Good to hear it worked.

forum answers are sometimes better than the manual, saw in here where they doubled the number of key turns for programming in the new ones for example - manual doesn't tell how.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts