Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Critics of Formula One have long complained that it is too expensive and lacks real competition. Rule changes, including a ten-year engine development freeze, to help combat those tendencies of the world's premier road racing league have helped, but now the FIA is taking radical steps to help cut costs and improve the level of rivalry between teams. After imposing a standard drivetrain for the 2010-2012 period late last week, the organizing body of F1 has now opened the bidding process to determine the company that will build the engines and gearboxes for the series.

The teams of manufacturers that currently populate the series are strongly opposed to a standard, one-maker drivetrain, since it eliminates a huge part of the branding and engineering side of the sport, not to mention that it undercuts, collectively, billions of dollars of investment and thousands of hours spent designing and manufacturing the engines now in use.

Max Mosley defended the action, saying it's in the best interest of the teams and the sport, reports Bloomberg. "Even before current global financial problems, teams were spending far more than their incomes," wrote Mosley in a letter to the heads of the individual teams. "As a result, the independent teams are now dependent on the goodwill of rich individuals, while the manufacturers' teams depend on massive handouts from their parent companies. There is now a real danger that in some cases these subsidies will cease."

On the other side of the fence, Fernando Alonso struck an odd note of accord with Ron Dennis when he said that if the series goes to a single spec engine, it "would no longer be Formula One." There is a strong argument to be made that Formula One has historically been about innovation and independent thinking, but within the constraints of a certain set of rules. The issue now being faced is how invasive and how limiting that ruleset ought to be.

A meeting in Geneva today between Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) representatives Stefano Domenicali of Ferrari, John Howett of Toyota and Mosley was scheduled to host a discussion of the matter and an alternative proposal from the teams was also expected. It is believed that the alternative addresses the concerns about cost to the teams and the FIA while keeping the 'feel' of F1 intact. What, exactly, the teams think will accomplish that goal remains unknown, however.

http://www.motorauthority.com/formula-1-opens-tender-process-for-spec-engine-builder.html

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
I highly doubt it will happen since there are so many people/teams opposed to the idea.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
might as well turn on nascar if this happens. no comp since everyone will be the same expect for different colors. Hell they already took away my rally

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
either way my boy Hamilton is going to become world champion again.

sorry i just so happy he won, last time a brit won was in 96 i think. and to win it on the last corner on the last lap of the last race, even when massa think he won it, im speechless.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
I hope it doesn't come to this.

Part of the appeal of F1 is the constructor championship.

The only thing that I've heard as being definitive is the implementation of the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) for the 2009 season. It is currently in testing, but other than, I know little about the technology.

The other item on the table is that F1 will move to an all "hybrid" field in 2013.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When and how did F1 turn so gay? ---------- spec engine and trans....

HYBRIDS? GREEN RACE CARS?[mad]

[:0]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
either way my boy Hamilton is going to become world champion again.

sorry i just so happy he won, last time a brit won was in 96 i think. and to win it on the last corner on the last lap of the last race, even when massa think he won it, im speechless.
That was AMAZING.

·
Registered
789 Posts
that is very gay. where would the competitiveness in that be? i guess they are wanting to make it more of a drivers' race than who has the better car. if they do end up doing it, i am sure they will make it like nascar where you can still tinker with the engine to an extent to see who can come up with the best tuning.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
gaysauce

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think its a good thing. How many races did Scheumacher win because he had the best equipment? Formula One has to make this change. Its not fun to watch and hasnt been for years. NASCAR is boring because they all go in circles, Formula One is boring because only ONE team has a legitimate chance regardless of who is driving the car. I think this move will help Formula One, they should all use a Cossworth designed rotary engine and a good six speed gearbox.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ But to me the whole point of formula 1 is the best team wins. That includes the building of the car.

·
Registered
755 Posts
^^ That would make sense.
The only problem I have is ppl still claim Schumacher as one of the greatest drivers ever. If you looked at Formula 1 as a team sport than Schumacher is just part of a great team.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
I think its a good thing. How many races did Scheumacher win because he had the best equipment? Formula One has to make this change. Its not fun to watch and hasnt been for years. NASCAR is boring because they all go in circles, Formula One is boring because only ONE team has a legitimate chance regardless of who is driving the car. I think this move will help Formula One, they should all use a Cossworth designed rotary engine and a good six speed gearbox.
Um. When was that last time you watched because I'm pretty damn sure the championship was decided in the very last turn of the very last race this year and last year was decided in the very last race as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts