Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a Titanium on Saturday, and they told me Ford Warranty no longer covers the rental if the car is in repair, is that true?[scratch]

·
Registered
613 Posts
just picked up a Titanium on Saturday, and they told me Ford Warranty no longer covers the rental if the car is in repair, is that true?[scratch]
Sure is. Have to purchase an extended plan in order to get it. Some dealers, like mine, will still provide you with a loaner.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The loaner is something you would have to ask about before purchase.
I bet a bunch of folks at your dealer get loaners because they asked BEFORE signing.

It is a sometimes thing.
Most dealers used to have free loaners for new car buyers.. but with the economy.. that is changing.

I would never expect a free laoner from a different dealer than the one purchased from. Unless I had the loaner in the Ford extended warranty, which loaner is from day one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
A loaner is not part of the basic warranty. The repair will be done at no charge, but the owner is responsible for a rental if they want one. That is one of the perks of a service contract. As I used to explain to my customers, the money you didn't spend on a contract will now be spent on a rental. The dealer has some "wiggle room" for loaners under the TAP (transportation allowance program). Those are limited funds and after they are used by the dealer they are gone until the next month/quarter. Some of the higher brands (ie Lincoln) have different programs including loaners. If they do use TAP, it varies by case.....how many miles on car, if customer performs service at the dealership (loyal customer) etc. If you look at it objectively, a service contract is just like insurance. You hope you never need it, but it sure is nice when things do happen. A personal note.....no matter what the brand, I would never buy a "non-manufacturs" warranty (meaning after-market, credit unions etc).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Agree non-factory backed warranties are a rats nest of problems and have very often gone bankrupt. In fact one of the biggest went totally belly up just a half dozen years ago and the guys running it immediately started another. Same racket. pile up customers and as soon as the bills start showing up. boom, bankruptcy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also agreed. The last aftermarket warranty company I dealt with went out of buisness. Good thing we never needed it, but were supposed to get a partial refund on the purchase amount if a claim was not filed within the term. That disappeared also.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wouldn't want rental car covered - you pay for that coverage one way or another. I'd rather have the choice of going without if necessary, getting a ride, or renting a car from my choice of agencies at a price I agree to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't want rental car covered - you pay for that coverage one way or another. I'd rather have the choice of going without if necessary, getting a ride, or renting a car from my choice of agencies at a price I agree to.
Considering I paid $90 in addition to my ESP for 1st day rental coverage, I'd say I got a smoking deal now that I've had my car for under 3 months and I've used a rental for 6 days total now in 3 different trips to my service department. I'm currently driving one for the 3rd day as they work to fix the rattle in my center console :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
Considering I paid $90 in addition to my ESP for 1st day rental coverage, I'd say I got a smoking deal now that I've had my car for under 3 months and I've used a rental for 6 days total now in 3 different trips to my service department. I'm currently driving one for the 3rd day as they work to fix the rattle in my center console :(
I can take the train and don't need to rent a car. I hope mine won't be in the shop as much as yours, though!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not true, our dealership gets tap money from Ford every month. Ford pays for the rental if there is a warranty concern that your car will be down for waiting parts etc. Alot of dealers tell customers that be cause they dont want to deal with the headaches, and they of course want to sell extended warranties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts