Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I am allowed to post about non-Focuses here but...

I have a '95 Thunderbird that needs to be smogged as of three months ago but will fail due to a faulty cat converter. It's a dual cat and the guy at the shop I took it to said one needs to be changed as it has gone bad.

He said that they are going to charge me $600 as it needs to be cut out and welded in. This doesn't sound right to me, I thought that my cats were bolt on and I could just swap and individual one. It has been on loan to a friend for a few months so I haven't gotten the chance to look at it but do any of you guys know whether or not that mechanic was right?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't know if you are allowed to either, but if not it may be moved to a more appropriate section, however that is not my direct concern (leave that to sailor or someone else to make that decision).

Technically speaking (from looking at the RockAuto listings for 95 T-Bird (both V6 and V8)) there are 3 catalytic converters, one by each exhaust manifold which then Y into a 3rd "Rear" catalytic converter. Looking at the pics for them they look like they bolt on to the exhaust manifolds, but I can't really tell if the rear converter bolts to or is welded to the exhaust pipe. At least at RockAuto all the catalytic converter options are under $375 for that car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if you are allowed to either, but if not it may be moved to a more appropriate section, however that is not my direct concern (leave that to sailor or someone else to make that decision).

Technically speaking (from looking at the RockAuto listings for 95 T-Bird (both V6 and V8)) there are 3 catalytic converters, one by each exhaust manifold which then Y into a 3rd "Rear" catalytic converter. Looking at the pics for them they look like they bolt on to the exhaust manifolds, but I can't really tell if the rear converter bolts to or is welded to the exhaust pipe. At least at RockAuto all the catalytic converter options are under $375 for that car.

Oh my God thank you so much. Even if it can't be removed separately (which, like I said, does not sound right to me at all and I know which one is out, it's cat 1 on the driver's side), $375 for a new cat set entirely and a day or two of bs bolt breaking to drop the exhaust is nothing compared to the $600 they wanted to charge me for 1 CAT CONVERTER.

I'm still going to keep this thread up to see if anyone knows for sure. If we are right, the one cat could/should be cheaper than $375 and I could give a quote to the next person who will be borrowing the bird. He agreed to foot the bill because driving an illegal car didn't sound too fun to him lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sorry to repost but I wanted to clarify, the rear cat is not the issue, the issue is the smaller one bolted directly to the exhaust. Check engine reads back O2 sensor on bay 1 but the O2 sensor was good. Screw it, I might just drop the whole damned assembly if the rear cat isn't welded on and if it is, I know that there has got to be some way to bolt that on anyway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The "bolt-in" catalytic converters for a 1995 Ford Thunderbird appear to only be bolt in.

Just be sure to get the correct catalytic converter.

Also one thing which I did not see when I first posted my reply is you live in California, none of the catalytic converters that RockAuto sells appear to be for California cars (probably no CARB EO number stamped on them which makes them a big no-no in Cali) so you will probably have to get the cat converter assembly from a dealer (if they still sell one probably at a hefty price (the one for a 2006 Focus with PZEV is close to $2000 from Ford)) or get the bad one cut out and a new one welded in place.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd check 1st, but I'd get the whole assembly vs just having one welded in place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As far as CARB numbers are concerned, I don't live in California, but I do know that manufacturer websites such as Bosal, Walker and Magnaflow have a parts catalog that includes CARB numbers. Look it up in the parts catalog and search online for a replacement bolt in unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts