Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have that postcard also. What ever came about with this case? As far as I know, I have never received anything else with regards to this case.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
AFAIK, the settlement is being reviewed and was asked to be thrown out due to all the recent development that Ford knowingly put bad transmissions and basically lied about it. We won't know what happens until the closer to the end of the year.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Right now, Ford and its attorneys are sweating bullets. If the class gets thrown out, then it starts all over again but this time with fraud thrown in. Gee, sorry but after what Ford did, screw them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was able to get in on the settlement before the closing date but having had 3 clutch replacements and one TCM, I still only qualified for about $200 which is really a joke considering that now I am out of the extended warranty period for 14M01, if I do the next repair on my own dime, $200 won't even cover a diagnostic fee, let alone even touching the vehicle with a wrench. All too often with these class action suits, it is the lawyers who make out, not the affected customers. So, I hope it does get thrown out in favor of something more meaningful.

·
Registered
350 Posts
From the article:

Ford declined to estimate the cost of the customer satisfaction action, saying that figure would be included in its third-quarter earnings report in October. The company in 2016 estimated that total quality spending related to DPS6 would reach $3 billion by 2020, the Free Press reported. The new cost wouldn't have been factored into that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
From the article:

Ford said the warranty was now good for seven years or 100,000 miles on "clutch and related hardware" for 2014-16 Focus and 2014-15 Fiesta vehicles assembled after July 4, 2013. In 2014, it extended the warranty on Fiestas and Focuses built before that.​

That's awesome, as my 2015 was out of warranty until now :).

Also, (lol):

Ford said Wednesday its actions were "independent of any media or litigation," which includes a class-action case whose $35 million settlement is under review and about 13,000 other cases from vehicle owners who opted out of the class action. Former Ford CEO Mark Fields was deposed in one set of those cases last month.

"We noticed and uptick of clutch repair and out-of-pocket customer spending" among the affected vehicles, Dave Filipe, vice president of powertrain engineering, said in a conference call, citing the 2014 Focus as an example.​

Wow, they are completely ignorant of customer complaints but just noticed more people getting their clutches replaced.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow, they are completely ignorant of customer complaints but just noticed more people getting their clutches replaced.
Oh, I doubt they're ignorant...it's a PR / marketing ploy to pretend like they noticed an increase in DPS6 warranty repairs and expanded their "Customer Satisfaction Program" for the good of their customers.

They're trying to get ahead of the NHTSA investigation. I don't know at what point the NHTSA will think that Ford is doing their due diligence and opt against a recall, but Ford is hedging their bets.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ford documents showed that, by the end of 2016, 350,000 of the cars “have already reached 3+ repairs in US.” Wow, over a million DPS6 transmission repairs and this is just the USA!!!!!!
Ford was at least clever enough to stop using the DPS6 in it's 2015 cars sold outside of USA & Canada.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Again, I’ve said this before but what repairs? Nothing is being repaired if you keep taking a Focus into a dealership over & over & over again for the same issue, right? Why the hell are they continuously replacing clutches if there’s no fix? It makes no sense to me.

Look, I took my DCT in for a new clutch in ‘14. I assumed when I went to pick it up, two days later, that everything would be perfect? LOL! I got to the first signal, made a right turn, and the car instantly shuddered on acceleration. I just shook my head & told myself ‘it’s as tough they did nothing at all’. Did they replace the clutch? Idk, it’s not like I was back there monitoring them, so it was a complete waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ford was at least clever enough to stop using the DPS6 in it's 2015 cars sold outside of USA & Canada.
Again, I’ve said this before but what repairs? Nothing is being repaired if you keep taking a Focus into a dealership over & over & over again for the same issue, right? Why the hell are they continuously replacing clutches if there’s no fix? It makes no sense to me.
I'm guessing it's a combination of things. Ford knew long before their announcement last year that they were going to stop making cars for the NA market.

IIRC, dropping the DPS6 in other markets went hand-in-hand with moving from our 2.0L naturally aspirated engines to the 1.5L EcoBoost engines as standard. I would not be the least bit surprised to find that they decided to either reduce production - or simply not renew any production agreements - of the DPS6 for worldwide use so as to only fulfill those needs of the NA market.

So here's Ford with plenty of replacement parts for existing DPS6 transmissions and nothing to do with them except keep throwing them at transmissions until the warranty is up, at which point folks will start paying for their surplus. Good plan!

Except that the problem is worse than they thought it would be and/or they didn't think it would be picked up by someone like the DFP and/or they didn't think folks would be as angry about it as they are.

So they're writing the parts off as a loss and extending the warranty to keep people from being as angry. They'll stay this course until the NHTSA comes back with a determination. If the NHTSA deems the DPS6 unsafe and issues a recall, I don't know what they'll do. It's not a faulty part, it's the whole thing. Will they then replace the DPS6 with the 6F35 6-speed auto found in the Fusion and Escape? Or maybe offer the option of the MTX-75 5-speed manual?

And that's independent of a lawsuit. Who knows where that will go.

I really think that Ford is in a holding pattern for now: they're shutting up the owners of 2012-2016 Focus owners by offering the extended warranty, and the 2016-2018 owners are probably still under their drivetrain warranty. No, they're not really fixing anything, but what are we going to do? Complain? Trade-in or sell the cars for pennies on the dollar? Ford's out nothing at this point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"We noticed an uptick of clutch repair and out-of-pocket customer spending" among the affected vehicles, Dave Filipe, vice president of powertrain engineering, said in a conference call, citing the 2014 Focus as an example

We noticed an "uptick" of clutch repair and out of pocket customer spending......pardon?......an 'uptick'??

More like an avalanche of CRAP heading their way.

Thank God we can rely on the integrity of these morons. Where would be without them. The cavalry have come to the rescue at last. Who do I hug?

·
Registered
499 Posts
"We noticed an uptick of clutch repair and out-of-pocket customer spending" among the affected vehicles, Dave Filipe, vice president of powertrain engineering, said in a conference call, citing the 2014 Focus as an example

We noticed an "uptick" of clutch repair and out of pocket customer spending......pardon?......an 'uptick'??

More like an avalanche of CRAP heading their way.

Thank God we can rely on the integrity of these morons. Where would be without them. The cavalry have come to the rescue at last. Who do I hug?
Ford's spell check obviously replaces shit-ton with uptick.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts