Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2000 LX for my son. Had some minor problems, (to be expected), but the car simply will not run at in town speeds.
Took it to my mechanic, had a diagnostic run. Came back after further testing that the fuel pump pressure drops to almost nothing at idle.
Read here about the 'fuel pump recall'. My son contacted the local Ford dealer who said, 'there never was a recall for these fuel pumps, so we have to do a diagnostic and determine if that is what it is'.

I also checked the FoMoCo. website and ran the VIN, came back 'No recalls on this vehicle'. So where did the fuel pump recall come from?

Mike

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try another dealer, but the next closest in 100+ miles away. What surprised me was running the VIN on Ford's website for 'listed recalls' and it showed 'no recalls on this vehicle.'

I agree, it;s nuts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate all the help. it appears that what would normally be called a fuel pump is a 'fuel distribution module'?

thanks again, great forum!

Mike

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
No problem, nice find penguin!

Hey if your son is looking for some power for that little SPI check out the SPI forum your gonna have a hard time finding mods for it but we know some tricks! [:D]

SPI performance

·
Registered
620 Posts
PM me your VIN and I'll double-check it for you. I work at a Ford dealership.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
wow thats just another pain in the ass person that's wasting ur time. now you have to run around to find someone to do what they should have done. rediculous. my ford dealer did it real quick for me. within 5 hours i got the call to pick it up, which is pretty damn good for this dealer. usually they keep things for days. let us know what happens MIKE

·
Registered
491 Posts
IT'S NOT A RECALL.

I can't count how many times i've told people that. It's a warranty extension.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Its basically the same thing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes. The difference is, they wont just replace it. They need to test it first, and if it's not the pump/sock, you owe $98.00. If it was a recall, they'd replace it without questions.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Most dealerships replace it as long as the symptoms are consistant with that problem. It's a common enough problem so the techs know what's up. When mine started acting up, I knew what was up and called the dealership. I told them point blank that I believed the fuel pump needed to be replaced and described the symptoms. Never did they say, well we have to inspect it first and if it isn't that then we'll have to chage you $$$. Now, at the same dealership, when I thought one of my coil springs had fractured, I told them the same thing that I thought that was it and described the symptoms, they instantly replied that it wasn't a recall, but a warranty and they needed to inspect the coil springs first and if it wasn't that then I would have to pay $$$.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I can't count how many times i've told people that. It's a warranty extension."

Better stop counting.

"2001 FORD FOCUS FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Recall Date: 11/19/2003

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE.

Consequence:
THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected: 671000

Notes: FORD FOCUS 03N01"

Note, the Ford documentation says "DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS."

If a dealer is saying "They need to test it first, and if it's not the pump/sock, you owe $98.00," perhaps they should read the official Ford notice, the person should contact Ford at the 800 number to complain, and also contact NHTSA, referring to NHTSA Campaign Number 03V482000, informing them that Ford is not doing this safety action according to the criteria Ford filed with the NHTSA.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Whatever^^^go back to sleep, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1st, the good news: Ford replaced the FDM with no arguements.

But, wouldn't you know that this 'didn't solve the stalling, hesitation problem'. So, they are going to ding him $115.00 for another diagnostic to find out what is wrong.

The diag. he paid for last week showed no problems. Several hard codes in the computer, but those were attributed to past problems that no one cleared. Back to square 1!

Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
I went to 6 dealerships, and they all say It's not a recall.

They're all trained to say the same thing. "it's not a recall, it's an extension of warranty coverage. We need to diagnose it, and if it's not the problem, we have to charge you $98.00."

I heard that SIX times. From my experience, they wont just replace it with your command.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
" they wont just replace it with your command."

It's an attitude thing. Few dealers, technicians, or people respond well to commands.

If you go in and say "I want my fuel pump changed under warranty," they aren't going to be inclined to jump to it and say "yes sir."

If you say "My car is exhibiting the following symptoms. I've heard that it might be the fuel pump," they likely will be more ammenable.

Or you just have incredibly bad luck, with six dealers all wanting $98 to diagnose it, and all deviating from what the Ford documentation filed with NHTSA says they should do.

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
sorry to hijack, but this reminds me of the time my rear wheel started to separate from my car and ford refused to cover it. at first they claimed that the recall had expired and then they told me that my particular car had already been serviced for this particular recall. so i called up the dealership that ford told me ahd fixed it and they had no record of my car ever being there for any reason. luckily, my local ford dealership decided to fix the car at their expense and i didnt have to pay anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts