Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty sure i need to replace the engine mounts. I was going to use Ford OEM parts but why can i only find the whole engine mount assemblies?? They're over $150! Why cant i just get the rubber insert part? I can get them from auto parts places for like $30 but i have no idea how good they are (Ive seen a few of you complain about them).

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just replaced the hydraulic mount on the passenger side $104 at ford, $54 at napa. the napa part does just fine. i would only suspect to replace the simple rubber mounts if they are worn.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the Napa ones hydraulic too? or just rubber? Sorry, slightly confused.

·
Registered
19 Posts
only the passenger side top mount is hydraulic, the other two are solid rubber. but any replacement for the top passenger side motor mount will be hydraulic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just replaced mine for 44.00 at autozone have about 1000 miles on it seems to be just fine. replacing mine made a world of difference, thought I had a bad bearing somewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just did passenger and driver this past weekend. Passenger I tried to use the $16 Anchor brand but it was garbage compared to the $45 Duralast from Autozone. Dealer for me was $127. Duralast has a warranty, job takes about 15-20min so I don't mind using it.

It was amazing how much rubber the passenger side lost and how shriveled the driver side mount was. Went with Duralast for that one too.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Those Anchor brand mounts are garbage for sure. I used to work on a fleet of Foci for a local autoparts chain and it seems like those mounts only last for about 3 months before they would literally start falling apart.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are we sure the anchor and duralast are different?

I just replaced all 3 on our ZETEC with duralast and they seem fine. I think a few have installed the pass side with a cheapie and then had it die because the others were worn out.

Our orig Ford pass side had all the fluid still in it but the bottom rubber had a big tear in it. Car is new smooth again with 3 new mounts.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Are we sure the anchor and duralast are different?

I just replaced all 3 on our ZETEC with duralast and they seem fine. I think a few have installed the pass side with a cheapie and then had it die because the others were worn out.

Our orig Ford pass side had all the fluid still in it but the bottom rubber had a big tear in it. Car is new smooth again with 3 new mounts.
I looked at the part numbers and Anchor and Duralast have the same number, so they could be the same. I havent seen a Duralast mount in person to know for sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had both next to each other and they looked very similar, not much to differentiate anyway though.

Anchor had the anchor symbol stamped on while the Duralast was without any markings.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The torque mount is really easy, if you get the jack in the right place. I had mine on the very far edge of the trans pan and it let me tilt the motor to slide the old one out and the new one in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I put the front on ramps and chocked the rear wheels. Spray bolt ends with penetrant. Remove bolts (one is longer, keep track). I did not use a jack. I was able to grab the bottom of the tranny and pull the eng/trans assembly far enough forward to wiggle the dog bone out. Same for install. 10 minute job, max. If you use something to PRY the bottom of the trans forward watch brake lines and such.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Differences in quality?

My '03 Zetec has 96K miles and has cabin vibration particularly when idling just after a cold start. I need new engine mounts. I could probably get away with just replacing the passenger side mount but I plan to do all three for good measure.

My question is this (and I'm sure it's been asked here before):

Is there a difference in quality between the OEM mounts available at the Ford dealer vs. aftermarket brands available from Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc.???

There is a significant difference in cost- the OEM Ford mounts are around double the cost of the aftermarket ones. But is this a situation where the aftermarket mounts will fail or wear out in a relatively short period of time, requiring replacement all over again, which will essentially cost more over time?

Some of the customer reviews for these parts right on the Advance Auto Parts web site pretty much say that the ones they sell just plain suck and don't last at all. Is this the case with those offered by the other retailers?

Is paying the higher prices for OEM mounts at the Ford dealer the only way to be assured that I'll get a set of mounts that provide vibration-free driving for another 80-90K miles?

Your feedback is appreciated!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts