Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this on rangerpowersports but it seems their forum isnt as frequented as this..SO if anyone knows, i'll repost what i put there..

hey guys, got another problem.

ok, i had some guys fix my fuel pump. it worked OK for about a week, but couldnt start again. so i bring it back to the place and they tell me that it was the fuel pump fuse that kept burning out. when i get there, the car is already started up. i turn it off, and turn it back on. ok good. now i drive it off the garage lot in 1st gear its starts to bog again. then i go into second gear it bogs some more. then when i hit 3rd, it completely shuts off. argh. i look in the fuse box and the damn fuse is blown again. what could this be? the mechanic said it some sort of electrical problem (duh)

has any of you had this problem before?

let me know, thanks!

1995 ford ranger 2.3

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well I hae a ranger and am a member of RPS and yes it isnt that active enymore. I would say try a bigger fuse, what could it hurt exactly?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Try this site:
http://www.therangerstation.com
^^^They get some heavy traffic^^^[;)]

Regardless, I'm betting they did muck up a wire somewhere.
Sounds like a hot lead is grounding out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Trey said:
Well I hae a ranger and am a member of RPS and yes it isnt that active enymore. I would say try a bigger fuse, what could it hurt exactly?
I don't know -- how much does a exploding gas tank hurt?

Sure, it's not likely to happen, but who knows. A fuse will prevent an electrical short from becoming an electrical fire. Installing a larger fuse will allow more power to flow to the short (i.e., more heat & greater chance of spark) before it blows than would the stock fuse. Up-sizing a fuse when the load has not increased is not a good idea in general. And in this case, dealing with a fuel system component, it seems like an exceptionally bad idea.

Find and fix the short and the stock fuse will be fine thereafter.

A bigger hammer won't solve this problem!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I would say try a bigger fuse, what could it hurt exactly?

sure way to a fire. DON'T DO IT!! There is a pinched or shorted wire in the circut. You need to track it down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts