Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on my suspension, i've had the FRPP suspension on my '07 for a while now. I was changing my wheels the other day when I noticed the bumpers on the rear have basically disintegrated. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No it's natural. 8yrs old with that weather you get up there. Just replace them with new ones.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a generic part or do I have to get it from Ford?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What do you mean by the bumper?
It's called a bump stop. Your suspension will hit a rubber piece before it hits metal to metal. And yes energy suspension. That's what I just installed even though my old ones were still good. If I can find them I'll pm you and send them to you. You just cover ship.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so how do I know what to order. What do I have to measure?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No measuring needed just order the bump stops. Easy peasy, not sure what peasy is but I'm guessing its easy.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
No measuring needed just order the bump stops. Easy peasy, not sure what peasy is but I'm guessing its easy.
This,^^^^^^^ easy queasy,,,,,,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Surely I must have to know the shaft size and what length I need?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pics of shot bump stops

Here's some pics of shot bump stops

rr shock1.jpg

rr shock.jpg

rr shock2.jpg
There's no oil leaking so I think the shock itself is ok but every now and then I hear a thump from the rear. I'm thinking it may be the shock bottoming out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
See that rubber cone on top of the rear lower arm? It's behind the edge of the spring, to the left of the rust spot on the shock in the picture.

That's the bump stop I think most were assuming you meant, and why the questions didn't "connect".

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so having clarified that, is it possible to replace those rotted pieces on the shock itself?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Ok, so having clarified that, is it possible to replace those rotted pieces on the shock itself?
Wow those are really pounded. Yea just get a pr of replace shock bump stops,,,Is your car lowered? If so you'd need to trim those. Thats what I had to do on mine. Could be what caused those to go like that,,,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is part of the FRPP lowering kit and I'm having a tough time getting a replacement for it. Tried FRPP but they don't have the shock bumper by itself. Any ideas?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
This is part of the FRPP lowering kit and I'm having a tough time getting a replacement for it. Tried FRPP but they don't have the shock bumper by itself. Any ideas?
Get a measurement of your shaft and the length of your current ones, then hit up a place like Summit or even Amazon. Get a cheapo caliper or open end wrench to find the diameter of the shaft or do a little math and use a piece of string to measure the distance around the shaft. Id try to find one slightly shorter in length if your springs are shorter than oem.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shock-bump-stops

The stock ones are just cheapo foam material and will deteriorate over time. Id try for a shorter poly one and be done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As it turns out, it's actually the one's from a SVT. Go figure. I ended up just putting the ones from my stock suspension, seem to fit just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts