Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of having mcnews install some FRS3's... my only two questions are... What gains should I expect... and should I mod anything (I MEEN ANYTHING even if it's something small please tell me) else before doing this?

thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
look i really need help... don't know anything about cams... I want as much power as I ican get... I still wanna be able to drive it on the street... I also need to know what mods need to be done before or with changing the cams.... also what gains can be expected... thanks!

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
youll need intake, throttle body, intake mani (if you can find a 2k for cheap), svt header package or race header/flex, exhaust. youll also need adjustable cam gears so that you can tune the cams. if you plan on staying all motor a udp might also be something worth doing. thats all that i can think of without dropping a g on headwork.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
u'll prolly hve to machine the head some to allow that cams' lobes teh clearance they need. u could just go w/ a stage 2 FR cams, and al bolt-ons, some dyno tunning and a chip and be in the 150 range, which is where i'm gonna be here soon.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
actually, the lift on the fr3 cams is only .390. the crower stage 2s dont require for the head to be clearanced and they lift .413/.393 so not to worry about that. you may want to look into the crower 2s instead of the fr3s. especially if you can get ray at mcnews to match newedges price on them (339.95).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks guys... but you have to have headers first? I was trying to do this before headers... I have the intake... UDP... Catback... and TB

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
you dont need them, these are just suggestions so that you get the most out of your car. another thing that you will want to get is a sct chip or flasher to take advantage of the cams.

·
Registered
381 Posts
aboutabout 10-15 hp if you get other mods and a tune

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
thfc1799 said:
how much power will the cams add... which ones would you suggest getting?
it really depends on the cams...the less drivability the more power you will get. if you are willing to deal with a high/lopey idle. to say that cams will add a certain number of hp is not possible, because they change the powerband entirely as well. to fully take advantage of cams you will want to get a tune to rev to at least 7200. you can rev higher but i would not recommend that unless you get the crower titanium valve springs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are looking for drivability then go with FR 2's. They will give you the best of both worlds. But if you want strickly power go with crower Stage 2's or Comp Stage 2's. The duration is higher and will give you more top end. But you will have to deal with the lopey exhaust. Sounds nice but may get annoying for the everyday driver. Also the more aggressive the cam the harder your tranny will have to work. If you want Crower stage 2's I have a good set. Pm Me for details.

Also the key to cams is to look at the duration @ .050. The higher the duration the more top end power. Crower and Comp 2's are higher than FR 3's. But FR Cams are still very good cams.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless you are willing to get stronger valve springs and possibly a FR head get the FR II cams. I have FR III but could not use their full potential with stock springs and head. Also you do have to slightly grind the edge of the bucket bores for lobe clearance for FR III cams. I had to do this on both stock head and FR head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts