Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got my ford racing stage 3 cams, my head I P&P'd myself milled .040, ford racing valve springs and retainers, and adjustable cam gears installed. Wow! These are definitley an everyday cam, idles fine, runs like stock till around 3000 and then the cam really comes alive pulls like crazy till redline chirps second with all vf mounts and goodyear eagle f1s. I never thought this car could be this fast or this much fun. If you want a good everday cam definitely get ford racing stage 3's. I can't wait till i get this thing tuned and get a chip. This thing is hitting 80 before i know it, it pulls so clean!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
really i would have thought the stage 3 cams would pull a lot more up the rpms

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
hmm..that doesnt realy make sense...but i think what he means is that they pull the same till a certain point, because im sure the IIIs can pull up to 7 where as with the IIs it pretty much drops off before 6

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ya i dunno if im gonna go with the stage 3's from FRPP. i've heard that the stage 2 are great but people still want a lil more from them. i plan on getting the FRPP head along with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah they pull a lot more around like 5-7k, but around 3000 it gets a bit of pull then just keeps getting faster till like 5 when power really comes on.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Without a head and intake mods the stage 3 is pointless. But with the FR head the stage 2 is pointless. It all depends on mods done. The 3 is a NA street monster, for head, intake, header, exhaust, all bolt ons and a tune. The 2 is for bolt-ons a tune, exhaust, shorty header, and the head really isnt needed to see full potential as in the 3. IT all depends on mods.
Im going to build a monster NA foci for fun. Ive researched a lot of about this stuff. Im using only FRPP parts (exception to the bolt ons that are radicaly cheaper elsewhere). Thanks tomdzx3 for posting. That makes me feel much better about my decision.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't understand how the stage 3 is an everyday cam considering you have a modded head, not everyone does, so, that does not make it an everyday cam, does it?

I still wouldn't recommend more then a #2 to anyone that uses the car for daily driving...

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have the fr cams with all the bolt ons w/a chip and it idles fine plus it pulls from the time i dump the clutch and step on the gas al the way to 7,000 rpms. i don't have a p/p head. the 2000 intake manifold helps out a lot after 4500 rpms.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have dynoed all of these setups. The FR 2 cams make a broader range of power than the Stage 3 they feel stronger up top because the lack down low. The FR 2 cams are so strong down low you think they flatten out on top. You will get more peak power out of the stage 3 cams but not that much and for so little in the power curve. I would look at a totally different cam grind than the FR 3 cams if you want more.

·
Registered
773 Posts
try the crower 2's or 3/4's thoes should give ya a nice kick.

-Sarif2029

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea, the only downside is that the ZX3 can't rev high enough to take advantage of the stage 3 cams. So you would have been much better suited to buy/use the stage 2.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It can rev high enough as long as the intake mani will let it. With upgraded valvetrain it should rev to 7500 easy with upgraded intake mani.

·
Registered
41 Posts
zetecfreak said:
It can rev high enough as long as the intake mani will let it. With upgraded valvetrain it should rev to 7500 easy with upgraded intake mani.
No...Most higher level cams are designed to function optimally at the 10,000 rpm and above mark.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
^ HAH! even the crane V's are only good 3k-8.5k...this isnt a harley...and as for the cams, i think a safe range is to 7.2k GIVEN the fact that you have valvetrain work and yes a ported intake mani would help as well...gump put a 2000 style on his car and helped him big time top end, still couldnt surpass the fokuzx3 but still helped, good luck [thumb]

·
Registered
862 Posts
I like the Cat 2 or the New Crower 2 cams. These cams are as agressive as a street car would need. Anything over a 380 lift is going to require head to lobe clearancing. Not a nice job while the head is on the car and should have upgraded valve springs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
fokuzx3 said:
^ HAH! even the crane V's are only good 3k-8.5k...this isnt a harley...and as for the cams, i think a safe range is to 7.2k GIVEN the fact that you have valvetrain work and yes a ported intake mani would help as well...gump put a 2000 style on his car and helped him big time top end, still couldnt surpass the fokuzx3 but still helped, good luck [thumb]

My bad. I'm used to working on Jap street racers (S2k's, RSX's, 350z's) and when someone says they have stage three cams, and can back it up...Then shit...You know they've got something under the hood.

·
Registered
538 Posts
is the FR head milled at all ? I assume with a change to stage 2's you would want a "tidge" more compression ? This may be near in my future, but I will most likely have to use stock cams until I get some cash. thoughts ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.