Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the F.R.I.M. everything went well accept the egr port on the intake is about 2 inches lower and about 2 inches back toward the firewall. from my egr valve.I cant move the valve because it is on a fixed metal pipe from the exhaust manifold.my intake is a gen 1.
I will have to block of the valve and the intake for the time being so I can drive it but I know that will trow a trouble code and a engine light.
Anybody got ant suggestions???

·
Registered
804 Posts
im sure someone knows the answer to this but you can always figure a way to rig another bracket up to the existing one while leaving the exhaust bracket loose
ive bent my egr pipe around aplenty while installing my new header and rmeoving old one

or just block it off and buy a tuner to shut the egr off
(removing the egr is quite common on here, TOM claims it wont do anything but throw a light and nothing else)
i left mine intact and i live in florida
an EGR basically returns hot exhaust gasses back to the combustion chamber to maintain a certain heat level but on our car it seems to do it quite fine without an EGR

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Yes, machine a piece of metal and block it. Will throw a light but if you are throwing a FR intake on you should be tuning it anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok it is installed,the car would not idle??had to open the butterfly in the throttle body to keep it running.i blocked the egr and did the focushacks work around to avoid the code.
goat roper said i should "be doing a tune anyway"???what does that mean?the car has good throttle response but dies in 2nd and 3rd(auto).the shift patterns are kinda off also.
any help would be great

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah if you had money for the Ford racing intake manifold you should've had a Tuner by now before installing that especially on an AUTO a tuner lets the car kno what you installed and adjusts the computer to perform with these parts and get the most out of them
here is a link to one of the sites you can purchase this from
http://www.steedafocus.com/store/Electrical-&-Ignition-SCT-Xcalibrator-3/c25_229/p573/SCT-Xcalibrator-3/product_info.html

or try focussport or contact TOM(1turbofocus) with your problem
good luck

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Anytime you do something major like that, you should tune around it to get all your money out of it. it is just good modding to tune for your mods. If you don't you are pissing hp away.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Eventually, yes he should get a tune of some sort. However, with just an intake and exhaust header the tune will not provide extra HP, just help the engine run a bit smoother.

I think the issue at hand is the idling problem, which in my experience, is going to be one of the following:
1) need to tighten up the throttle body
2) bad TPS?
3) improperly situated TPS

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the throttle body is on tight..i tested everything for vacuum leaks.i used my 65mm tb.so i just took it of the stock intake tps and all then put it in the racing intake.tps worked fine before i did the swap

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, it will idle if i tweek the screw on my fc tb.but i shouldnt have to do that because it idled before the swap

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok now i drive it and the idle is fine at stop signs.but when i got home and put it in park the idle went to almost 2 grand,so i backed of the adjustment screw on the throttle body to lower the idle but then it runs for awhile then starts to sputter until i snap the throttle then it goes high for awhile before it comes down????

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
an EGR basically returns hot exhaust gasses back to the combustion chamber to maintain a certain heat level but on our car it seems to do it quite fine without an EGR
hey i don't want to be an ass, but with this being said, then why have a cold air intake? isn't hte temp of the air going to get warmer from the ERG pipe then?

·
Registered
804 Posts
hey i don't want to be an ass, but with this being said, then why have a cold air intake? isn't hte temp of the air going to get warmer from the ERG pipe then?
well the EGR opens and closes its not always on

so say internally the operating temp is 300 degrees and it falls below that due to colder air the EGR valve opens to bring the temp back to 300 otherwise i believe correct me if im wrong air fuel ratio will not be consistent
and you MPG could be affected

but then again like i said on our FOCI an EGR does not seem to be all that needed

1 - 20 of 31 Posts