Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing research on what kind of exhaust I wanted to get for my 2012 I kept coming back to the Ford Racing Axle Back, though I couldn't find anyone on FF that had installed it. I went with it because I could get it for a good price (apprx 300), it was super easy to install, seemed like it would give me a good sound without being obnoxious, and I really wanted to get rid of the eyesore that is the factory system on an otherwise sophisticated looking vehicle. Plus, it's our family DD, and my wife grew real tired real fast with the Flows on my previous Town Car, so something mellow was a must.
Keep in mind I had no illusions about power increases or what have you.
I have to say that after installing it yesterday I couldn't be happier. It looks classy and sounds good without being overbearing, droning on the freeway, or making me look like a boy racer. So, for anyone looking for an addition to their Focus that's simple, economical, and well made, I can now wholeheartedly recommend this set up.
Here are some pics(apologies for the dirt, it's been raining here and she definitely needs a wash):

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm glad you posted this: I've been looking at that system too. I had good luck with a Ford Racing axle back on my 2007 Mustang GT - no drone, not too load, and really deep tone - and was hoping this would do as well on my Focus. Might just have to save up for this.

Were the instructions clear on where to cut the stock system?

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
Not saying this is a bad option,but for the price you could easily do a custom setup for much less. All it would take is a Borla muffler and a tip, and any exhaust shop could fab this up in thirty mins.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Not saying this is a bad option,but for the price you could easily do a custom setup for much less. All it would take is a Borla muffler and a tip, and any exhaust shop could fab this up in thirty mins.
I get what your say, most ppl nowaday's just like to order or go in & get a complete part or whatever.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Easy to say and do, but there is absolutely no engineering done on the system you propose. You won't know how your custom system performs and sounds until the work is already done. I trust Ford Racing to put out a product that has been tested and performs the way it's supposed to.

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
In my case I can understand that for a full cat back, but an axle back. The price for what you get isn't worth it. But this is just my opinion. And there isn't much engineering for replacing a muffler besides the choice in mufflers chosen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, the instructions were very clear. Heck, it's pretty straightforward anyways; just like a slip-on for a motorcycle - plug and play. Only took about an hour.
My sentiments exactly Felix. I wanted something that was easy to install and tested. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but for my purposes and stated goals I think it's a pretty good deal - plus it says Ford Racing on it!

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Every product has an intended buyer, and it seems as though you've put a lot of thought into this decision in order to come to this solution. Not everybody wants power or wants to take the DIY approach, but that shouldn't relegate them to having to live with the OEM setup. You had a list of wants/needs and this seems to fit them perfectly for you so congratulations on the purchase and good write-up!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm very tempted to go that route. From what I can see the most restrictive point in the exhaust appears to be at the end of the down pipe right after the flex portion and I have no intention of replacing that. I also primarily want to get rid of the pedestrian look of the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have been waiting for some info on this one...thanks! Can you please post up a video of how it sounds?

·
Registered
78 Posts
This looks like a solid option for what I'm after.. I would have to section out an inch or so of that decline so I could integrate it into the valance.

+1 for a sound clip.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I'll see what I can do about a sound clip - never done one before.
I'm still pretty stoked off the kit. The mellowish sound and the nice fitment make me think of it as a factory oem $300 option.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's all stainless steel.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sound clip....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts