Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was digging around on the Fordowner website today and they offer a 6year 75000 mile premium warranty for about $1304. Good deal?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Was digging around on the Fordowner website today and they offer a 6year 75000 mile premium warranty for about $1304. Good deal?
Like all extended warranty programs, it's simply insurance. If you never have to use the program, or don't use $1300 worth, then in hindsight it wasn't good for you. Likewise, use $1300 or more then it was good for you.

(Not counting the loss of what $1300 would do for you invested and the value of that $1300 by the time the warranty expires -- assuming you have to pay the $1300 up front).

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Just to clarify.

* The bumper to bumper warranty runs for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

* The factory powertrain warranty runs for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

* The factory emissions warranty runs for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic engine control unit (ECU), transmission control module (TCM) and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module.

* The 14M01 warranty extension extends coverage to the most troublesome parts of the DPS6 transmission (the input shaft seal, clutch and software) to 7 years/100,000 miles for Focus built between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455833

^ All of the above is free.

Extended warranties are a big money maker for automobile manufacturers/dealers if that gives you a clue.

https://www.google.com/url?url=http...QQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFBPkH8lNbHfKFYUXnDOLnxLojOkg

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Pretty sure I paid $1315 for my 6 year/125k mile warranty via (Harold) Zeigler Ford. So no, it's not a really good deal.

In fact, I feel like any extended warranty isn't really a good deal as it's so difficult to prove to the dealer that you have an issue unless the car doesn't function. I replaced my rear UCAs and my rear bearings myself even though the car is under warranty because I was tired of ruining tires. I don't have a second car for the dealer to mess around with my car all day and then charge me diagnostics to say that nothing is wrong with my car.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The extended warranty might be good for someone who would have a hard time suddenly paying for a repair. Someone on a fixed income. Paying for the warranty with the car payment can make the cost a bearable one. And gives a bit of peace of mind. If you do this go for the 0$ deductable.

For the average person, who can swing a repair and not have a problem.. realizing the warranty is making Ford and the dealer money. they, on average make money on the deal. And the dealer gets a good chunk of the money you pay right up front. So ford is really still making money even though the amount Ford really gets is only 75% of what you paid.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I didn't trust the reliability of a car enough that I had to buy an extended warranty, I wouldn't buy that car in the first place. I wish that my focus didn't have some many issues, but at least most of them were covered by the standard warranties.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Check around on Internet, you can get the ford premium care extended warranty 6yr 75000 miles for somewhere between $900-$1000. No deductible. Try a few different dealers I think Anderson-Koch is cheapest.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the thoughts. First Ford just dont want the nickel and diming killing me before its paid off.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
We got a 6 year 75k mile warranty for $800 from our dealer and went with it since we only average about 8000 miles a year and 3 years is up after next May and didn't quite trust the quality on a 1st year model of a new gen and even the smallest fixit can add up over 800 bux easily.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When something big goes wrong when you are out of the normal warranty, then its a good thing to have, if nothing breaks, then you paid a lot of money for peace of mind which is worth something.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Extended warranties are like any other form of insurance - you pay for it whether you use it or not. I personally would rather pay a few dollars extra per month in my car payment rather than having to come up with a large sum of money to pay an unexpected repair bill. I've had extended warranties on a good many of my vehicles over the past 31 years, and I've collected something on all but one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never believed in them, but if you are going to get one, definitely get it through the dealer, and not one of those scam warranties they advertise on TV (i.e. US Fidelity, etc.).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I was about to purchase one from a dealer out of state, but then I realized that my insurance company (Geico) has their own version of the ESP. I pay about $37 every 6 months to maintain coverage, $250 deductible for any issues, $50 deductible to replace any glass, and good until 7yrs/100k miles.

As of now, my commute is going to put me around 20k miles/year, so even paying the $37 twice a year to maintain coverage and the $250 deductible still keeps me ahead of the ESP options.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
WASTE and scam this goes for any extended warranty program...... it must work on some chumps cause now if you go to walmart they will ask for a computer mouse "do you want to buy the extended warranty for an extra 13$"

Chances of you actually getting to use the extended warranty is pretty slim and even if you do the dealer will try to find every which way out of it.

Dont let them sucker you

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chances of you actually getting to use the extended warranty is pretty slim and even if you do the dealer will try to find every which way out of it.
I, for one, used the Ford extended warranty twice on the 2011 Escape I traded in on my Focus. The dealer never once tried to get out of it: on the contrary, the assistant service manager was very forthcoming about the repairs being covered.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Most certainly not a scam -- at least the "official" Ford plans so not sure how one would arrive at that conclusion. There was one that I watched on American Greed that was a scam, so perhaps that's the one being referred to.

It's simply a matter of will you save money via purchasing and using the plan. Obviously Ford prices the plans so Ford makes money on them. That doesn't mean Ford makes money on every single plan.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The dealer never once tried to get out of it: on the contrary, the assistant service manager was very forthcoming about the repairs being covered.
Must be nice. What kind of repairs were they - were they obvious defects?

tldr; I'm anal and the dealerships think the problems are imaginary.

I think that I, being a mechanical engineer, hold my car to higher standards than most people. Of course, considering how most people I know ignore everything that goes wrong with their vehicles until they stop moving, that could probably be said even if I weren't an engineer. So when I started getting irregular wear on my tires and rotors, I wanted to find the root cause (in this case it was the rear wheel bearing being bad, but not visibly loose). Most people would just have the dealer or a shop replace the tires every 20k because they become unbearably loud after that. Eventually, they label the Focus as a car that just ruins tires and decide to buy another brand for their next car.

I actually can’t believe that dealerships use that line too, “Well, the Focus [a lightweight car, has a DCT, has a European/sport tuned suspension], so it’s normal [for your tires to get chopped, to make grinding noises, to clunk, to have to top off the coolant, fill in the blank].” They’re basically asking their customers not to return to Ford for the next vehicle purchase to save a few hundred bucks up front. Maybe they hope that they'll stay alive due to brand loyalty or due to new customers avoiding other brands that left a bad taste in their mouths.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Must be nice. What kind of repairs were they - were they obvious defects?
Repairs were on my 2011 Escape, the one I traded in for my 2013 Focus. One was a bad evap purge valve at 63,000 plus miles and the other was a bad throttle body position sensor. The throttle body problem turned into a TSB after I had had repairs completed under the extended warranty, and Ford reimbursed me for my $100 deductible when the TSB came out.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Repairs were on my 2011 Escape, the one I traded in for my 2013 Focus. One was a bad evap purge valve at 63,000 plus miles and the other was a bad throttle body position sensor. The throttle body problem turned into a TSB after I had had repairs completed under the extended warranty, and Ford reimbursed me for my $100 deductible when the TSB came out.
So the $1000 warranty covered $200 in repairs over your ownership period of the car.

And Ford should have reimbursed you more than just the $100 deductible if a TSB indicated a factory defect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts