Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
So my 2012 Focus SEL is approaching 50k miles, I know the DCT has a 7yr/100k warranty.

I do hear 'grumbling' noises coming from the transmission at low speeds (under 10mph), while slowly accelerating. Now, when I gun the car, it doesn't make any of these noises, and on the highway, it shifts just fine.

I was curious to know if the grumbling noise is anything I should be concerned about, if I should ask a dealer to take a look, and if anyone has experienced the same thing as this?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I thought I would post my thoughts as I recently reached the 10k milestone. The weather has gotten much warmer here and the transmission is behaving a little different than the cooler months. I noticed that there is a very slight but quick grinding noise from 1st to 2nd gear. Really only noticeable with the windows down, but is not consistent at all. Depends on how I apply the throttle. I've had a couple of extremely minor shudders going from 1st to 2nd as well, but I think it's happened maybe twice in the last 2 months...

Other than that, it still feels like a good manual transmission. Behaves exactly as I would expect it to and still fun to drive.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can add it, and it's not too hard....do a search on here.
i did and it doesn't sound easy. actually it doesn't sound possible. i don't recall what the issue was, but i stopped researching pretty quick cuz it led me to believe it was a no go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Occasionally when I accelerate, I feel a sort of bucking/shaking feeling. I'm afraid this is some kind of indicator of a failing/bad transmission. I'm a bit over 11k miles on the car, and I drive ~13 miles to/from work every day. I don't normally feel it on my drives to/from work; its mostly when I'm driving it to a store, or somewhere I don't regularly go. When it happens in the rain, it seems to be much worse. I thought it could be a misfire, but my check engine light hasn't come on.

Should I take it to my dealership (I have a 5 year warranty), or is there any kind of diagnostics I can run myself to figure out the problem?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Occasionally when I accelerate, I feel a sort of bucking/shaking feeling. I'm afraid this is some kind of indicator of a failing/bad transmission. I'm a bit over 11k miles on the car, and I drive ~13 miles to/from work every day. I don't normally feel it on my drives to/from work; its mostly when I'm driving it to a store, or somewhere I don't regularly go. When it happens in the rain, it seems to be much worse. I thought it could be a misfire, but my check engine light hasn't come on.

Should I take it to my dealership (I have a 5 year warranty), or is there any kind of diagnostics I can run myself to figure out the problem?
If you have a good Ford dealer they should have become pretty skilled at diagnosing DCT issues, so take it in. The "gold standard" DCT test seems to be attaching a monitor that records rpm flares during gear changes: if this value is more than 250 rpm, it should qualify for a new clutch. And also make sure your car is running the most recent software - I was on an 18 month old version and a recent update was a real improvement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just took my car in...registered 398 on the rpm flare test. They updated my pcm and ordered clutch parts. They said late July early August for the parts arrival.

For those in Indianapolis...Don Hinds Ford will treat you right on this issue (and other issues as well, great dealership)

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 2014 Focus had the computer on the DCT replaced a few weeks ago but before the computer was replaced it was shuddering and shaking like clutches were bad but my local Ford dealership told me that some of the 2014 Focuses came off the assembly line with problematic computers installed in the DCT but they never fixed them. My car was one of them that has such problem buy it took 49k miles for the computer to finally crap out in the DCT. So after a 5 day wait for them to receive the new computer and install it the issues I was having went away. Have put about 1k miles on the car after the computer was replaced. The car is about 200 miles away from hitting 50k miles. Also the car is only showing 150 shudders per RPM so I doubt the DCT will need any clutch work for a long time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just took my car in...registered 398 on the rpm flare test. They updated my pcm and ordered clutch parts. They said late July early August for the parts arrival.

For those in Indianapolis...Don Hinds Ford will treat you right on this issue (and other issues as well, great dealership)
I agree, I had my 2013 Fiesta and my wife's 2014 Job1 Focus done there last November and December. They seem to have it down to a routine process.[:)]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
They seem to have it down to a routine process.[:)]
NOT a good thing though, lol... Just a tip, installed a RMM and DCT shifts much better now, I think taking the slop out of the motor movement helps out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealer told me that my problem (gurgling noise at low speeds, and low RPMs), should be resolved by a new software update coming around September.

Anyone else hear about that?
(Have a 2012 model)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I read a question earlier in this thread about grade assist button on the side of the shifter and someone replied that it just locks out the orverdrive (sixth gear) off.
Here's an explenation of the feature from the owners manual.

Overdrive cancel/grade assist
• Overdrive is deactivated.
• The transmission operates in gears one through five.
• The grade assist lamp in the instrument cluster is illuminated.
• Improves driving experience in hilly terrain or mountainous areas by
providing additional grade (engine) braking and extends lower gear
operation on uphill climbs.
• Provides additional engine braking through the automatic transmission
shift strategy which reacts to vehicle inputs (vehicle acceleration,
accelerator pedal, brake pedal and vehicle speed).
• Allows the transmission to select gears that will provide the desired
engine braking based on the vehicle inputs mentioned above. This will
increase engine RPM during engine braking.

The reason I post is because some may not know how to use this feature to their advantage. Simply turning on the grade assist to lock out sixth gear to increase engine breaking during a downhill decent might not be enough. Tap the break just a little and if the grade is big enough the trans will actually downshift a gear or two. And you can use this trick on flat ground when approaching a stop; if you're the type used to a manual trans and using it to help slow you down.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Dealer told me that my problem (gurgling noise at low speeds, and low RPMs), should be resolved by a new software update coming around September.

Anyone else hear about that?
(Have a 2012 model)
Ford put out a letter a couple years ago to acquaint people who mis-understaood the transmission.
It said: • Low speed grinding. A slight grinding noise may be heard at about 2 MPH. This noise
is more evident during “trailer-hitching” events (see below). This noise is caused by a
normal bearing rotation and does not affect the durability of the transmission.
the link below is for the entire letter from Ford.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/306863-fords-letter-regarding-powershift-6-speed-operating-characteristics.html

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
[facepalm][facepalm][facepalm]
[facepalm][facepalm][facepalm]

[hihi]

161 - 180 of 697 Posts