Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. Newbie here in the focus crowd. Picked up a 2013 SE Hatch for relatively cheap, got the extended bumper to bumper on it. I went into the dealer knowing about DCT and the "quirks" of its quasi-manual feel. That being said, I don't notice it a ton because I went into the mentality I had to do the following:
- Deliberate on throttle. I often in stop and go leave a few feet more in front when period periods of acceleration are had. I don't gun it but I give it juice and hold it. Seems fine when doing this
- If above can't be done, due to stop and go traffic, I will get at least the 1st switched to 2nd but giving a quick jolt, letting the throttle go while it still rises and give the car time to shift. That's not usually necessary

Now I have to teach my wife :p

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... Now I have to teach my wife :p
Hope that goes well. If she's never driven a manual transmission then learning to do that first might make it easier for her to understand why it matters with a DCT.

Getting a car that my wife would be happier to drive than all of the manual transmission cars I've owned in the past is the main reason I considered getting my Focus with a DCT. She does great driving a manual, since that's what she learned to drive with, but she just doesn't like having to do it. I decided it would be easier for her to drive a real manual than an "automatic" that she had to treat like a manual, especially since she'd only drive it occassionally after driving her car with a torque converter most of the time.

Besides, the correct driving technique only helps avoid the "quirks" of the design. No special driving technique can reverse the symptoms of leaking oil seals or DCT hardware failures or software bugs.

Congrat's on your new to you Focus, and fingers crossed that it'll continue to be one of the "good ones".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hope that goes well. If she's never driven a manual transmission then learning to do that first might make it easier for her to understand why it matters with a DCT.

Getting a car that my wife would be happier to drive than all of the manual transmission cars I've owned in the past is the main reason I considered getting my Focus with a DCT. She does great driving a manual, since that's what she learned to drive with, but she just doesn't like having to do it. I decided it would be easier for her to drive a real manual than an "automatic" that she had to treat like a manual, especially since she'd only drive it occassionally after driving her car with a torque converter most of the time.

Besides, the correct driving technique only helps avoid the "quirks" of the design. No special driving technique can reverse the symptoms of leaking oil seals or DCT hardware failures or software bugs.

Congrat's on your new to you Focus, and fingers crossed that it'll continue to be one of the "good ones".
Thanks. I was gonna take it to the dealer eventually to at least get the newest software on (figure why not). Wife not a huge fan, but it's basically my car. I understand how the car works, unfortunately my wife doesn't (yet).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought my 2013 focus two weekends ago. It has the DCT transmission. Someone posted earlier in the thread one piece of advice that really enlightened me as a new DCT driver.

Accelerate, brake, and keep your right foot's movements "intentional."

Keep in mind that this transmission acts like a manual transmission, and it's actually a lot of fun. Or at least mine is. No problems so far. (Knock on wood) :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Having to do that certainly makes low speed stop and go traffic a pain in the ass. In a manual you would just get rolling and coast, sometimes without even touching the accelerator, yet the clutch would be fully engaged. So... is there any reason why it can't be modified for quicker engagement or something?

If I'd known it was such an issue I would have steered clear of the DCT and not got this particular car to be honest (I still would have got a Focus most likely!) Not that I'm fear mongering here, but it does seem to be a genuine issue, and I'm worried ending up with a bill of thousands.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Keeping with the subject of the thread,

YES you can do that to an extent with the DCT as well, one point made here is that manual or DCT you need to be above minimum speed in first to roll with the clutch fully engaged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information on this thread, I used it as a reference for my shuddering trans on my newly bought used 2014 focus. Only issue was bringing it to the dealer, they decided I needed a new clutch to swap out on it.. With a 15 week wait :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've posted here that I've adjusted my driving technique to the quirk DCT but I'm wondering if the thing is working right. The downshifts are really annoying. It's as if I'm driving a manual, partially push in the clutch, rev it to redline, and then dump the clutch to engage completely. Seems like the while process take like 5 seconds. Prolly not but seems that long. Does every Focus DCT behave this way?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've posted here that I've adjusted my driving technique to the quirk DCT but I'm wondering if the thing is working right. The downshifts are really annoying. It's as if I'm driving a manual, partially push in the clutch, rev it to redline, and then dump the clutch to engage completely. Seems like the while process take like 5 seconds. Prolly not but seems that long. Does every Focus DCT behave this way?
Your revs are climbing in between shifts? That's not normal.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I found his/her post hard to read, but it seems like clutch slip, which would indicate either a contaminate (oil) causing it to slip, or your clutch has overheated and burnt out. That or your TCM needs sorting.

Perhaps you could re-explain to clear up exactly what is happening.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let's try this again. 2014 SE with DCT. 4500 miles. Downshifts are my only concern. Up shifts smooth and direct and quick enough; as one would expect.
When I want to pass I mash the gas revs shoot to the ceiling and then all of a sudden the clutched grab. During the initial rpm increase I do not lose momentum as if the clutch is fully disengaged but my velocity does not increase as you'd expect either. THEN the clutches hook up, rpms drop a little, and I take off like a rocket.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Let's try this again. 2014 SE with DCT. 4500 miles. Downshifts are my only concern. Up shifts smooth and direct and quick enough; as one would expect.
When I want to pass I mash the gas revs shoot to the ceiling and then all of a sudden the clutched grab. During the initial rpm increase I do not lose momentum as if the clutch is fully disengaged but my velocity does not increase as you'd expect either. THEN the clutches hook up, rpms drop a little, and I take off like a rocket.
Well, it's going to take some time...it has to downshift through at least a couple gears, and has to rev match.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmm... That doesn't sound too bad. I usually put the tranny into S and shift manually when I'm passing people and that's mostly the only time I ever floor the gas pedal. I'll try flooring the pedal when passing someone while still in "D" and report back to ya. [scratch]

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
[thumb]
i haven't the powershift option. straight up basic DCT.
You have the powershift option, as that's Ford's marketing name for the DCT, however you don't have selectshift which is Ford's marketing name for their manual shifting mode on an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tried this the other day. Mine does the same thing. No worries. Either that or we both have messed up transmissions. Haha

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it attempting to rev match?
I guess you could call it that.

If I'm driving a steady speed, and then just smash the gas pedal to the floor, the RPMs shoot up to whatever they are in the lower gear that it is downshifting into. During that split second that the RPMs are flying up, there is no acceleration, then when the RPMs reach whatever they are supposed to be in the lower gear, the clutch engages and it's off like a rocket ship.

Seems pretty normal. Or at least I think it is. It definitely isn't so strange that I have worried about it. [scratch]

141 - 160 of 667 Posts