Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yea I would assume so. I guess maybe if it was a rebuild write off then they may not apply.

2012 Focus have a 7 year 100k mil/160k km extended warranty on the trans now.

You could always just call your dealership and ask though to verify. Give them your VIN
I was told mine does not have 7yr/100k mi, just 6yr/75k. All 2012 Focuses now have 7/100k miles?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I was told mine does not have 7yr/100k mi, just 6yr/75k. All 2012 Focuses now have 7/100k miles?
On all the areas they have issues: the seals, clutch and software it is 7/100k for all 2012's and I believe all 2013's and early 2014's, don't quote me on that last part. The TCM warranty is actually 10 year 150k I believe for all 2012-2015 Focus.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
On all the areas they have issues: the seals, clutch and software it is 7/100k for all 2012's and I believe all 2013's and early 2014's, don't quote me on that last part. The TCM warranty is actually 10 year 150k I believe for all 2012-2015 Focus.
Thanks, danbfree!

Clutch, transmission input shaft seals, and transmission software calibration: seven years of service or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. Vehicles which have exceeded the mileage limits, this coverage expired January 31, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners. Vehicles covered under this program include certain 2011 through 2014 model year Fiesta vehicles and certain 2012 through 2014 model year Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 transmission.

Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage: 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners. Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission are involved.

Your dealer will be able to check to be certain your vehicle is included, unfocused1.

Meagan

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Thanks, danbfree!

Clutch, transmission input shaft seals, and transmission software calibration: seven years of service or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. Vehicles which have exceeded the mileage limits, this coverage expired January 31, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners. Vehicles covered under this program include certain 2011 through 2014 model year Fiesta vehicles and certain 2012 through 2014 model year Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 transmission.

Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage: 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners. Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission are involved.

Your dealer will be able to check to be certain your vehicle is included, unfocused1.

Meagan
do you know when the cut off is for the 2014 models to be covered for the actuall mechanical parts of the transmission? where do you find the build date of your car at?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, i read through this entire thread. i did not know you are to drive a manual and an automatic differently. all these years switching between my 5.0 5 speed and my wife's Expedition i've been doing it wrong. [slap]

i've only experienced the herky jerkiness at low speeds the first couple times i drove it. i've naturally adjusted my driving, so i suppose i drive it like a manual now. ?? i have noticed it shifts from first to second REAL early when you're light on the throttle and it happens somewhat leasurely.

what i don't like is the lagging kick down at highway speeds. give it gas, watch the rpms shoot to near redline, and brace for the clutches to grab and accelerate you. soooo, i've stopped sudden passes. i plan them out and accelerate to pass in stages. slightly increase speed until a good downshift then a little more agressive/deliberate throttle to get the gear i want and the clutches hooked with little hesitation. i don't do THAT in a manual. but is that normal for this DCT or should i have it checked out?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
what i don't like is the lagging kick down at highway speeds. give it gas, watch the rpms shoot to near redline, and brace for the clutches to grab and accelerate you. soooo, i've stopped sudden passes. i plan them out and accelerate to pass in stages. slightly increase speed until a good downshift then a little more agressive/deliberate throttle to get the gear i want and the clutches hooked with little hesitation. i don't do THAT in a manual. but is that normal for this DCT or should i have it checked out?
Ya, mine has only done that a couple of times... if you do the "clutch scrubbing" where you do some full throttle acceleration runs it will definitely minimize that... I try to get on it, after it's fully warmed up, to where it's shifting at redline with the throttle floored at least a couple of times a day.... somehow it seems in the adaptive learning that it will learn to grab and go much sooner, or it could be the clothes themselves need a bit of a cleaning sometimes too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a left-over 2014 Focus SE Hatch. Pretty awesome incentives are making these cheap. That said, I'm worried about the trans. I understand that a DCT will drive different than an auto, and in fact most of my cars are manual, so I get the way a dry clutch will react to throttle movements and such. The driveability difference doesn't concern me. Durability on the other hand does. I think I'm a pretty good candidate for the DCT being no big deal - I live in the sticks, so stop and go is rare.

I know that complaints are a lot more visual than happy customers, but man are there a lot of complaints. I'm trying to get a sense of percentages. What percentage of buyers are fine with the DCT? 80%? 90%? 99%? I'm hoping for a car that will serve me relatively trouble free for the next 200k miles.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a left-over 2014 Focus SE Hatch. Pretty awesome incentives are making these cheap. That said, I'm worried about the trans. I understand that a DCT will drive different than an auto, and in fact most of my cars are manual, so I get the way a dry clutch will react to throttle movements and such. The driveability difference doesn't concern me. Durability on the other hand does. I think I'm a pretty good candidate for the DCT being no big deal - I live in the sticks, so stop and go is rare.

I know that complaints are a lot more visual than happy customers, but man are there a lot of complaints. I'm trying to get a sense of percentages. What percentage of buyers are fine with the DCT? 80%? 90%? 99%? I'm hoping for a car that will serve me relatively trouble free for the next 200k miles.
I would guess 90%+, but that's just a guess... That said, most of the 2014's, especially any leftover ones, are the later versions with most of the early seal/clutch issues ironed out... After my '13 got the new seals and cluthes, I've been 20k miles with just minor quirks I can live with. The thing is even in stop and go traffic it's not a big deal as long as you get on off the throttle deliberately, like this thread talks about... I get stuck in traffic sometimes with my commute and as long as you don't try to constantly tailgate, like you wouldn't with a manual anyway, then you are fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The one I'm considering has a March 2014 build date, so from what I can tell it should have all of the latest parts from new. That said, that date also falls outside the window of the extended warranty...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The one I'm considering has a March 2014 build date, so from what I can tell it should have all of the latest parts from new. That said, that date also falls outside the window of the extended warranty...
Sounds good to me, just make sure you give a nice and thorough test drive and also barter them for a good deal! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
(To preface this, I don't have my new Focus yet, it's still in queue to be built. But I did a lot of poking about and researching the MK3 Foci before making my decision. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.)

They also extended the warranties for people who did fall under that time range where issues with the seal/clutch arose. TSBs were issued, but no recalls as far as I know.

That said, over 600,000 Foci sold in the past 3 years is an impressive feat. No outright troubles with the DCT itself that I could find when I was researching the Focus. Lots of complaints, understandably, that it doesn't behave like say a Civic, but at the same time no actual problems that would require Ford to bring the car back to the engineers and say "we need a new car now".

I can't say anything about reliability though, you'll need actual owners to pipe up on that

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts

well just my 2cents. i have a 2014 dct and mine is great! no problems. just be aware that it will drive differently then a stardard auto. I've only ever driven manual cars so it feels normal to me. i love the car!

Reactions: mr_cassandra

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think today 2014 Focus is the best deal you can get - super crazy incentives that stack together, make sure you get them all! (Finance through Ford, then re-finance if you want to)

As for DCT - by 2014 most of them are good, and even if you get a bad one (very low chance) - it is a well known issue and you are covered by warranty! If it is a bad one you will find out within the first few thousand miles - well before the warranty for transmission runs out.

I think now I would be much more afraid of used 2012-2013 (why would someone sell a 'new' car unless it has issues?) because the warranty might be expired.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks, danbfree!

Meagan
I checked - my dealer still does not have the updated information, my vehicle is still not included. :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think today 2014 Focus is the best deal you can get - super crazy incentives that stack together, make sure you get them all! (Finance through Ford, then re-finance if you want to)

As for DCT - by 2014 most of them are good, and even if you get a bad one (very low chance) - it is a well known issue and you are covered by warranty! If it is a bad one you will find out within the first few thousand miles - well before the warranty for transmission runs out.

I think now I would be much more afraid of used 2012-2013 (why would someone sell a 'new' car unless it has issues?) because the warranty might be expired.
Remember, Ford's warranty extension does not end if one sells the car. The warranty is still there for whoever buys it. So it's not a total wash... but many brands and models go well into 100k or more without needing major component replacement.

But let's say the 2014 model really has a fixed transmission system and everyone has a good unit. That's great for the 2014 owners. (Didn't the '15 model get a complete overhaul?) What about the 2012-13 owners? People prefer to want some reliability out of their cars and anyone with a '12 or '13, especially if they've had to go to the dealer for a DCT problem, is not going to feel very warm about long-term prospects and these car things do cost rather a lot of money and transmission work at 10k miles is not exactly good. Those who've had bad dealership experiences will be driven away for good, pardon the pun.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Remember, Ford's warranty extension does not end if one sells the car. The warranty is still there for whoever buys it. So it's not a total wash... but many brands and models go well into 100k or more without needing major component replacement.

But let's say the 2014 model really has a fixed transmission system and everyone has a good unit. That's great for the 2014 owners. (Didn't the '15 model get a complete overhaul?) What about the 2012-13 owners? People prefer to want some reliability out of their cars and anyone with a '12 or '13, especially if they've had to go to the dealer for a DCT problem, is not going to feel very warm about long-term prospects and these car things do cost rather a lot of money and transmission work at 10k miles is not exactly good. Those who've had bad dealership experiences will be driven away for good, pardon the pun.
I've read posts that said many older focuses on the lots car be from fleet sales, so if true, it might not be an indicator pf problems, just normal business.

Reactions: unfocused1

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
(To preface this, I don't have my new Focus yet, it's still in queue to be built. But I did a lot of poking about and researching the MK3 Foci before making my decision. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.)

They also extended the warranties for people who did fall under that time range where issues with the seal/clutch arose. TSBs were issued, but no recalls as far as I know.

That said, over 600,000 Foci sold in the past 3 years is an impressive feat. No outright troubles with the DCT itself that I could find when I was researching the Focus. Lots of complaints, understandably, that it doesn't behave like say a Civic, but at the same time no actual problems that would require Ford to bring the car back to the engineers and say "we need a new car now".

I can't say anything about reliability though, you'll need actual owners to pipe up on that
I think the problems you can read about in the last three years of posts here, are limited to a small percent of production, otherwise this would have made the national news.

Reactions: unfocused1

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I think the problems you can read about in the last three years of posts here, are limited to a small percent of production, otherwise this would have made the national news.
Maybe a "small" percentage of all the DCTs Ford has built, but if it is still a higher rate of failures than other brands experience, Ford should have done better to get it figured out and fixed quicker so customers like you would not have had to switch brands to resolve your problems.

Even if it has been "only" something like a 2% failure rate, if competitors have 0.5% (wag numbers for example, not based on any research), that would mean a Ford customer would have a four times higher probability of getting a bad one.

Bad memories of dealing with a bad one also last for a lifetime, and I doubt that when you decided to get rid of your Focus it was any comfort that it had not made the national news.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I also think it's important to note before placing all the blame on Ford is that the transmission is NOT even made by Ford but Getrag... Now, of course that doesn't make the situation itself better but it's more along the lines of Ford making a bad decision to trust Getrag that these transmissions were ready for mass production. Ford has been overall the most reliable American brand and there is a good reason they didn't need to take government bailout money and that's because they put out overall very good products. To place ALL the blame on Ford and saying you will never buy one again is pretty short-sighted, IMHO, but do what you want, that's your right... And I say this after my transmission almost caused me to have an accident but it was fixed and has been fine since, and I don't mind it's bit of quirkiness overall.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Maybe a "small" percentage of all the DCTs Ford has built, but if it is still a higher rate of failures than other brands experience, Ford should have done better to get it figured out and fixed quicker so customers like you would not have had to switch brands to resolve your problems.

Even if it has been "only" something like a 2% failure rate, if competitors have 0.5% (wag numbers for example, not based on any research), that would mean a Ford customer would have a four times higher probability of getting a bad one.

Bad memories of dealing with a bad one also last for a lifetime, and I doubt that when you decided to get rid of your Focus it was any comfort that it had not made the national news.
I hear you but just try to avoid making it out like a wide-spread problem. The problem is that small percent or not, for 3 years people have been a world of aggravation trying to get it fixed IF theirs was one.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus
101 - 120 of 697 Posts