Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Excellent write-up, this has confirmed my feelings from driving the car that I just need to treat it as a manual, even though it's an automatic. I've seen several comments around the forums so far that the DCTs are "terrible transmissions" but I think that stems from a lack of understanding of how these things actually work. I've noticed getting off of the highway or idling at a light that the transmission works like a manual - it will slip backward if I've got my foot off the brake and throttle. For me this isn't an issue and I've quickly figured out how to behave in the car. Again, your write-up actually explains my assumptions, thank you!
Ah, I see you have a 2012 that's never had a software update? The rolling backwards was addressed in a software update later on and that actually adds some of the traditional automatic "creep forward". I'd go to the dealer and simply tell them that you know there is a software update available for the transmission and would like that performed. It also helps with other DCT issues and is recommended in general. Just remember that the transmission is always learning/adapting so drive it "with spirit" as much as you can after getting the update done so it learns to downshift quickly when you want it to and perform well in general . Hope this helps!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ah, I see you have a 2012 that's never had a software update? The rolling backwards was addressed in a software update later on and that actually adds some of the traditional automatic "creep forward". I'd go to the dealer and simply tell them that you know there is a software update available for the transmission and would like that performed. It also helps with other DCT issues and is recommended in general. Just remember that the transmission is always learning/adapting so drive it "with spirit" as much as you can after getting the update done so it learns to downshift quickly when you want it to and perform well in general . Hope this helps!
It really does, thank you! I bought the car used so will that service cost me anything and if so, about how much?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shouldn't cost you anything since the transmission is still under warranty.
Okay, not to derail this thread but a friend and I were literally just talking about this 5 minutes ago. Since the car is used and was sold to me "As-is" from a dealer, is it still covered under the original manufacturers warranty? I've never owned a car this new before so I have no clue. NINJA EDIT: Also, how long is the OEM warranty if it still applies to me?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay, not to derail this thread but a friend and I were literally just talking about this 5 minutes ago. Since the car is used and was sold to me "As-is" from a dealer, is it still covered under the original manufacturers warranty? I've never owned a car this new before so I have no clue.
Yea I would assume so. I guess maybe if it was a rebuild write off then they may not apply.

2012 Focus have a 7 year 100k mil/160k km extended warranty on the trans now.

You could always just call your dealership and ask though to verify. Give them your VIN

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes, it is 7 years/100k on the seals, clutches AND software, the things that need to be covered the most so you are definitely good... and with Ford the warranty follows the car itself and not the owner or numbers of, like those ones that are 10 year/100k powertrain, those drop big time for 2nd owner and are non-existent for 3rd+ owner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, it is 7 years/100k on the seals, clutches AND software, the things that need to be covered the most so you are definitely good... and with Ford the warranty follows the car itself and not the owner or numbers of, like those ones that are 10 year/100k powertrain, those drop big time for 2nd owner and are non-existent for 3rd+ owner.
Great, thank you so much for clarifying. Luckily there's a very reputable dealership just down the road from me so I'll try to visit them this weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A good dealership definitely goes along way and I think is a huge difference in these forums from jaded to the accepting haha.

My dealership just did the full fix (seals, clutches, reflash, etc) without alot of hair pulling or anything. Very happy with this car now!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A good dealership definitely goes along way and I think is a huge difference in these forums from jaded to the accepting haha.

My dealership just did the full fix (seals, clutches, reflash, etc) without alot of hair pulling or anything. Very happy with this car now!
Yep, I had my full fix at 18k and now at 38k there is no sign of any issues at all... I just make sure to "get on it" after she's fully wamed up and when it's safe (merging on to the freeway, overtaking, etc.). The transmission is always learning and adapting so if you make sure to get on it, even keeping it floored as it shifts through the gears, that's "clutch scrubbing" I was talking about earlier... it's actually GOOD for our car to drive it hard sometimes! :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Great, thank you so much for clarifying. Luckily there's a very reputable dealership just down the road from me so I'll try to visit them this weekend.
If you'd like to go armed with a little information, go to etis.ford.com and enter your VIN in the "vehicle" (iirc) section. This will not only tell you how your car is equipped but will also show any outstanding "Field Service Actions". If FSA 12B37 is still outstanding you're on a pretty old software version and 12B37 has to be performed to maintain your warranty. If 12B37 has been performed you shouldn't have rollback issues.

·
Registered
343 Posts
^ I tried my VIN for the heck of it and it says "The information you have requested is not available at this time." under vehicle software.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you'd like to go armed with a little information, go to etis.ford.com and enter your VIN in the "vehicle" (iirc) section. This will not only tell you how your car is equipped but will also show any outstanding "Field Service Actions". If FSA 12B37 is still outstanding you're on a pretty old software version and 12B37 has to be performed to maintain your warranty. If 12B37 has been performed you shouldn't have rollback issues.
^ I tried my VIN for the heck of it and it says "The information you have requested is not available at this time." under vehicle software.

Same here :( It shows the vehicle summary but returns that error when I try to check the software. Could I ask the dealership to look my car up in etis for me to verify?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Same here :( It shows the vehicle summary but returns that error when I try to check the software. Could I ask the dealership to look my car up in etis for me to verify?
Not sure if the software category is Sync/MFT or the ECM, but suspect it's the entertainment stuff. In any event, look for outstanding Field Service Actions - if 12B37 is not there you're at least up to late 2012 standards. I presume your dealer can tell you what ECM software you're running and its date.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure if the software category is Sync/MFT or the ECM, but suspect it's the entertainment stuff. In any event, look for outstanding Field Service Actions - if 12B37 is not there you're at least up to late 2012 standards. I presume your dealer can tell you what ECM software you're running and its date.
Derp, section above "Vehicle Software". Do you have to have an account or anything to get the FSA section to populate? I've had the window open for 10 minutes and the Software section generated a response but the FSA section still says "Checking for outstanding actions... Please Wait!"

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ah, I see you have a 2012 that's never had a software update? The rolling backwards was addressed in a software update later on and that actually adds some of the traditional automatic "creep forward". I'd go to the dealer and simply tell them that you know there is a software update available for the transmission and would like that performed.
Seconded. :)

I don't properly recall the TSB number, but they should be able to find it when describing the issue. Wasn't it 12B37 that addressed it? (Manual transmissions are why cars roll backwards, and the DCT is essentially two manual transmissions controlled by computer... at any rate, I did look the number up and the roll back problem was mentioned with 12B37, so maybe that's the one but I'd let the dealer confirm the actual number... :) )

It also helps with other DCT issues and is recommended in general. Just remember that the transmission is always learning/adapting so drive it "with spirit" as much as you can after getting the update done so it learns to downshift quickly when you want it to and perform well in general . Hope this helps!
And I will definitely keep that in mind once I get mine in and fixed as how others had done. I was told to drive it like a regular automatic when I first got it, but when finding this forum, people were starting to discuss the greater nuances of DCT and to drive it "with spirit" (not grannying it with low acceleration, but not gunning it either!)

That's awesome to read, thanks!

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
It'll be declutched at least at a stop, so there is no load on the engine/trans while waiting.

Being ready to move if necessary is usually considered best from a safety standpoint.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It'll be declutched at least at a stop, so there is no load on the engine/trans while waiting.

Being ready to move if necessary is usually considered best from a safety standpoint.
Yes, clutch fully disengaged, a much more accurate statement than mine actually. :)

81 - 100 of 697 Posts