Focus Fanatics Forum banner

681 - 697 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd personally have to hear the noise but mine has always made noises regardless of whether it had new clutch packs or not. Those clicks and grinds are always there but you can't hear it over the road noise at higher speeds. This transmission making noises is normal especially since it's essentially a manual and also because it's not like a sub 30k car like this has the world's best sound deadening.

I have good things to say about Tom's Tune simply because you stand a better chance than whatever Ford did with the software. I had 30k mile clutches and the difference between stock and the tune was massive. I couldn't believe how bad it would shudder when I flashed it back to stock and drove around for about 45 minutes. Even if Ford doesn't believe changing the software would solve the problem it's asinine to me that they don't try something different other than throwing parts at these cars.

That said I think a small amount of trans shudder is normal as well. Even when I got new clutches there was still some small amount of shudder when downshifting when you come to a stop. It's nothing like launch shudder though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Asking for a friend who wants to know more about passing/failing the 250 rpm test, and is probably at the cusp of reaching that 250 point.
Ironically, the most you can do to "help" it fail is the drive it like Ford marketed it: as if it's a hydraulic auto. Baby it and drive conservatively in traffic, especially on hot days. Other than that, some software/hardware combinations are just inherently bad together.

This has haunted me for awhile. Did you have hard shudder all the time? Ours typically only acted up when hot, which isn't part of the procedure. That or I was just getting my chain yanked on the occasions I asked for it to be tested. Guess I should have asked for the results to be printed out or something.
Not the person you actually asked, but I had 3 pack replacements before the 5y/60k warranty ran out on my 2014 and they were mostly asymptomatic. Or, rather, I've heard of folks with more noticeable issues who "failed" the 250 RPM test. There's a ton of variability between cars; some seem worse and pass, others seem only slightly affected and fail.

I feel like the dealership should give you a printout (mine always has), but it might that they don't if it passes. While the dealership does get reimbursed for warranty work, they only get something like 6 hours for what is almost always an 8-ish hour job, so they take a hit in replacing your clutch pack. Bigger, higher-volume dealerships are more likely to do it without argument as they can more easily take the hit. Just something to keep in mind.

well that is true. I have toms tune and the car drives nice. I’m installing paddle shifters and I already forscan to get sport mode. I’m hoping that with the software tuning from Tom and the brand new pack that I can make this last. They have me a one year warranty on the clutches and I’m driving like 18k a year lol. I’m kind of stuck with the car at this point. I love the car but this is annoying. I’m mostly a highway driver so...
Tom's tune might very well help. 3-4 years ago, I was pretty skeptical that Tom could have "solved" the problem Ford engineers never could, but having a better understanding of the underlying issues - none of which Tom ever outlines, he just keeps telling everyone his tune is magic and we should all buy it - helps me understand how Tom's tune can make a car better. Essentially, there is far too much variability between individual transmissions (as well as driving style, frequency, climate, etc) for an all-in-one software to work for all cars. Tom's tune works for some because it is tuned for that particular transmission (duh). Ford engineers didn't miss it; it's simply unfeasible for them to custom tune all DPS6 transmissions with issues.

Sport mode has worked well for me. I pretty much drive in S until I'm on a highway, at which point I shift to D to get that fuel-efficient 6th gear (which is unavailable in Sport mode).

·
FF Affiliate
30,764 Posts
Why would my Tune work 3-4 years ago and not still work today ?

Ford engineers didnt want to , were lazy , were warned 2 years before production by a Ford Engineer that more work needed to be put into the programming of the DCT before production

Ford Engineers never tried to correct the DCT " shift " issues creating the shudder , Ford chose to throw Clutches at it and hope for the best vs addressing the actual programming issues it has , I can see the changes Ford made with the shudder " updates " what they were changing had nothing to do with addressing the shudder , mostly they moved up the temp tempatures so it wouldnt set a over temp code and a few other sislly things

You asked how my " Magic Tune " works then the next sentence you answer most of your own question , I Tune each Focus Custom , I address the issues there having , make the trans shift quicker , down shift quicker , On most I can get the sport mode to work right and stay in gear till you shift it or it gets to 6300 before shifting , I can drastically reduce the shudder or cure it , I to this day still have great success helping or curing the DCT

Ford Engineers MISSED IT BIG TIME I dont know how you can say they didnt , No Ford cannot tune each car individually but they could of done a 45-50 % better job writing the software for the clutch engagement dutycycle and Hysteresis , If I could rewrite the software I could cure 80-85 % of all the shudder issue on the Focus

If Ford had just bought my Tune , loaded it , then read the PCM/ECU they could of seen what I changed , Tested that , added it to a updates and helped or cured 10`s of thousands of shudder issues and 10`s of millions of dollars in clutch changes , Ford knows about my Custom because a Ford Engineer bought one , installed it and was amazed how much better his Focus drove just day to day driving , He tried to pass it up the chain but no one was interested , 4 years later he just got an updates after a Tune up and he is still driving it DCT free of any issues , stock clutch , 83,000 miles stock clutch

Tom

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why would my Tune work 3-4 years ago and not still work today ?

Ford engineers didnt want to , were lazy , were warned 2 years before production by a Ford Engineer that more work needed to be put into the programming of the DCT before production

Ford Engineers never tried to correct the DCT " shift " issues creating the shudder , Ford chose to throw Clutches at it and hope for the best vs addressing the actual programming issues it has , I can see the changes Ford made with the shudder " updates " what they were changing had nothing to do with addressing the shudder , mostly they moved up the temp tempatures so it wouldnt set a over temp code and a few other sislly things

You asked how my " Magic Tune " works then the next sentence you answer most of your own question , I Tune each Focus Custom , I address the issues there having , make the trans shift quicker , down shift quicker , On most I can get the sport mode to work right and stay in gear till you shift it or it gets to 6300 before shifting , I can drastically reduce the shudder or cure it , I to this day still have great success helping or curing the DCT

Ford Engineers MISSED IT BIG TIME I dont know how you can say they didnt , No Ford cannot tune each car individually but they could of done a 45-50 % better job writing the software for the clutch engagement dutycycle and Hysteresis , If I could rewrite the software I could cure 80-85 % of all the shudder issue on the Focus

If Ford had just bought my Tune , loaded it , then read the PCM/ECU they could of seen what I changed , Tested that , added it to a updates and helped or cured 10`s of thousands of shudder issues and 10`s of millions of dollars in clutch changes , Ford knows about my Custom because a Ford Engineer bought one , installed it and was amazed how much better his Focus drove just day to day driving , He tried to pass it up the chain but no one was interested , 4 years later he just got an updates after a Tune up and he is still driving it DCT free of any issues , stock clutch , 83,000 miles stock clutch

Tom
You missed my point. I'm saying that I was highly critical and skeptical of your tune, because it didn't make sense (to me) that such a "simple" solution (as you've presented it) was simply ignored by Ford. I mean, you say they're lazy...but that doesn't make sense, because if they were, they'd just "steal" your tune and save themselves a ton of time and Ford a ton of money.

So what I'm saying now is that I (believe) have a better understanding of the software side of the issue, and because of that, I (believe) I have a better understanding of how your tune helps. I, personally, have no reason to buy it until I'm out of warranty, but I will when I hit the 7-year mark (hopefully with a recently new clutch pack).

Where I disagree with you is that the DPS6 is okay except for the tune. Even Ford has acknowledged that early hardware was defective (which can be fixed by updates to those parts, of course), but it's also been pretty well documented that the design of the DPS6 is simply bad. Functional, perhaps, but certainly optimized for low production cost over longevity. The poor software makes worse the poor design; if that weren't the case, then your tune would fix nearly 100% of the transmissions. I'm not saying your tune doesn't help the majority; I'm simply pointing out that it can't fix the DPS6 in its entirety because the DPS6 is a crappy transmission by design.

I encourage people to buy your tune all the time now. I tell them I haven't personally used it, but I explain (to the best of my understanding) how it can help them out...but also point out that it's not guaranteed, nor does it fix the flaws inherent to the DPS6 design. I hope you continue to support and sell your tune; I think that at the end of the day, it's probably the one thing that has the greatest likelihood of improving (not "fixing") a persistently problematic DPS6.

·
FF Affiliate
30,764 Posts
I have had the DCT apart , I have rebuilt them , I like them and there well built , I have never seen anything but opinion on the design of the DTC , I feel the DCT will hold 400+ whp if some one was willing to make clutches for it that would work , I have tested 2 attempts of performance clutches now and they both were not where they needed to be mainly because of the limitations of the clamping force of the Psi Plate

The problems are the software , early years bad oil seals and TCM ( Trans Control Module ) but oil seals and TCM were fixed and gone mid 2014
I feel Ford built a great transmission but the engineers programming it didnt understand the capabilities or how to make it engage properly

Thank you for your support

Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have had the DCT apart , I have rebuilt them , I like them and there well built , I have never seen anything but opinion on the design of the DTC , I feel the DCT will hold 400+ whp if some one was willing to make clutches for it that would work , I have tested 2 attempts of performance clutches now and they both were not where they needed to be mainly because of the limitations of the clamping force of the Psi Plate

The problems are the software , early years bad oil seals and TCM ( Trans Control Module ) but oil seals and TCM were fixed and gone mid 2014
I feel Ford built a great transmission but the engineers programming it didnt understand the capabilities or how to make it engage properly

Thank you for your support

Tom
Tom the only thing I'd hesitate on about this statement is the TCM issues. Last summer after I bought the tune (months after I should say) I had a day where my car wasn't acting right. Harsh shifting, freezing up momentarily after heading into an intersection, just plain bonkers and odd issues. Something (TCM?) must have damaged the clutches because a couple weeks later it started shuddering again after months of being pretty much just fine with the tune. Now something else could be failing (maybe my fuel pump?) but I'm unsure. Mine is a 2016 and I'm starting to see people from this same model year having TCM failures. Worth noting the 31,000 miles those clutches ran on the stock software. I've got new hardware now.

Off topic possibly but car has seemed to misfire at idle a couple times in the past year and sometimes just lack power

Are these just anomalies or can't Ford figure these modules out? I get that it's an electronic component sitting in an engine bay with hot and cold cycles but it seems to me they should have figured it out by now. Is it off base to say the TCM starting to fail could damage the clutch? If that's so the biggest issue by far is actually these control modules. I think you know where I stand on your services. Is it the nature of an electronic part or has Ford not solved this and not willing to? Maybe they fixed the solder issue but there's still an issue they didn't crack.

Love the tune and it makes a massive difference but the issue above is why I can't, in good conscience, recommend a DCT Focus.

A dry DCT can be done. There just doesn't seem to be a quality unit with a brain that won't malfunction. Otherwise I think it could have been an amazing transmission.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,764 Posts
Yes a bad or going bad TCM can cause Clutch issues , Keep in mind Ford is 5-6 years ahead on cars , meaning the first 2012 Focus started in 2006-2007 , Drove the first one roughly 2008-2009 , production roughly may - june 2011 , There was a private Ford engineers memo released in 2009-2010 that the Focus had driveability issues and the operational software needed more work , this memo is not public

I do not understand why Ford threw so many Clutches at the DCT, Ford is no longer doing any updates for the Focus and they wont spend another dime trying to rewrite the software to totally fix this issue , I knew in 2015 Ford had stopped working on a software fix

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
The problem I think, is this is not just a transmiision issue. I run 93 octane with 4oz of lucas upper cylinder lube EVERY Tank. Eliminates all these problems. No Lie.
This motor needs high octane to run this transmission, if you don't after a while your trans starts with all these issues, thentakes a crap.
I have a 2018. Started seeing these symptoms at 12k. Started doing this at 27k trans is perfect, car runs unbelievably well.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I ran a few tanks of 91 octane last summer to see if it made any difference & I didn’t notice anything. What I did see is that my MPG numbers did slightly increase, however since the shudder was still there, I just went back to running 87. I couldn’t justify running premium fuel in a 160HP 4cyl. commuter car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
The problem I think, is this is not just a transmiision issue. I run 93 octane with 4oz of lucas upper cylinder lube EVERY Tank. Eliminates all these problems. No Lie.
This motor needs high octane to run this transmission, if you don't after a while your trans starts with all these issues, thentakes a crap.
I have a 2018. Started seeing these symptoms at 12k. Started doing this at 27k trans is perfect, car runs unbelievably well.
Please just stop spreading bad information. Using higher octane fuel will not eliminate these transmission issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kind'a new here with 2018 SE DCT with 40k+, got used aprox. 5k ago, no major issues, it drives very good, been posting my impressions/ideas/mods on this other thread.

Starting on post #37.

Not much to add to this thread as it would be repeating myself and others, but I'm hopefull on a fix, even though not having real issues, yet !!

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's physically and mechanically impossible for the octane rating of your fuel to directly impact the operation of your transmission.

I'm glad it "works" for you, and while it may contribute to marginally better performance and fuel economy, it does nothing whatsoever for your transmission. I think it's important for folks to realize that this is not an opinion, it's fact.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's physically and mechanically impossible for the octane rating of your fuel to directly impact the operation of your transmission.

I'm glad it "works" for you, and while it may contribute to marginally better performance and fuel economy, it does nothing whatsoever for your transmission. I think it's important for folks to realize that this is not an opinion, it's fact.
I have to agree 100% on this one, IME the higher octane fuels work better in city traffic, better engine response, for highway use or long trips 87 is best. These snake oils/top end cleaner, etc., don't do much on a gdi engine. Stick to top tier fuels like Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, it will keep engine cleaner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BTW I just found the "transmission learning" magic incantation, and now my 2015 runs smooooooth again, after I dunno how long bucking and shuddering.

Focus transmission reset into learning mode

1. Run car, shift to Neutral
2. turn to Off, wait 15 seconds
3. Shift to Park
4. Turn ignition on (engine not running), wait 15 seconds
5. Turn off, then back to ignition on (engine not running)
6. Step on brake, shift to Neutral
7. Dash indicator should read 'Transmission ready"
8. Start car and drive normally

·
Registered
38 Posts
BTW I just found the "transmission learning" magic incantation, and now my 2015 runs smooooooth again, after I dunno how long bucking and shuddering.

Focus transmission reset into learning mode

1. Run car, shift to Neutral
2. turn to Off, wait 15 seconds
3. Shift to Park
4. Turn ignition on (engine not running), wait 15 seconds
5. Turn off, then back to ignition on (engine not running)
6. Step on brake, shift to Neutral
7. Dash indicator should read 'Transmission ready"
8. Start car and drive normally

:rolleyes: steps 5-8 are part of the "TOWING VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS" procedure, page 184 OM, but I'll try anyway, several incarnations of this procedure out there, sometimes placebos work, LOL.

681 - 697 of 697 Posts