Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I rode in a DCT to tonight for the first time. That shudder after take off gets annoying quick and I wasnt even driving. I am forever glad I went with my gut.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
"...that shudder..." is due to the person driving the car not working the DCT properly.
[scratch] I honestly hope this is sarcasm.

We don't all have 2014 MY with the latest software/hardware. My car shudders in first gear even after the D revision clutch replacement (though, not the latest software) whether I slowly accelerate or quickly accelerate up a hill. It's not as bad or as it was before and it's more intermittent now, but still...

So, you're saying the Focus with the DCT is not designed to drive in traffic or up hills?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for changing "troll" to "sarcasm".

Yes, we know what early adopters were told by dealers... and we know, from this thread specifically, that understanding how the DCT works (at least in the revised models) helps produce smoother results.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I honestly believe its just the design nature of the DCT, I dont think its anything that would leave you stranded but its obvious that the DCT doesnt like going slow in parking lots and stop & go traffic... my wife has a '14 se Hb and so do I, not sure if the build date has anything to do with it as hers was born on 8/13 and mine on 6/14... would the software or clutch revisions be different or would they both be the same?

hers has the intermitent studder, not too bad, mine does not....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think advising drivers to avoid creeping in heavy traffic but rather leave gaps so we can be on the throttle more "steadily" for the sake of helping control the clutches tenperatures as worded in the original post, is nothing short of ridiculous.... it should not be our job to monitor the temperature but rather be engineered to handle levels of heat.... so in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway we should leave gaps so other vehicles can cut us off so we can control the temperature??? the only tenperature a driver should have to worry about is the one from the climate controls inside the vehicle.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think advising drivers to avoid creeping in heavy traffic but rather leave gaps so we can be on the throttle more "steadily" for the sake of helping control the clutches tenperatures as worded in the original post, is nothing short of ridiculous.... it should not be our job to monitor the temperature but rather be engineered to handle levels of heat.... so in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway we should leave gaps so other vehicles can cut us off so we can control the temperature??? the only tenperature a driver should have to worry about is the one from the climate controls inside the vehicle.
The same could be said about a manual gearbox. People who drive those have to take measures to make sure they don't overheat the clutch. Ford (or any other company, for that matter) doesn't have to tell everyone with a manual to not ride the clutch and burn it out.

Also, while it's more difficult to do, lots of stop and go traffic (especially if you're really getting on it each time) can overheat a torque converter in a standard automatic transmission as well.

You sound like you want a traditional automatic transmission. I suggest buying a vehicle with one, as you will probably never be happy with the DCT.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Your mental temperature will drop if you ever try it and watch the actual results.

I've driven the Philly roads in an 18 Wheeler enough times to watch the traffic when it's backed up in all the lanes, and I can assure you that keeping tight bumper to bumper gains you nothing over a long session in such traffic except a headache.

Those that get ahead in one lane are soon left behind when another lane moves, then it repeats. Those that jump in front of you will jump out again, and seldom gain enough to matter as they try jumping back & forth. I've seen as many end up behind as gain through that trick when they guess wrong.

The OP's hints were posted quite a while ago now, and have proven useful for many.

You don't have to take them to extremes to have a positive result, taking it a little easier in traffic is good for both you and your car.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Works for me, I'm forced to drive that way in a truck. Push close enough to block cars from getting in front & depending on the rig I might only see the roof or hood of the car in front. One jammed on set of brakes and someone gets bumped - not worth it.

Laugh a lot when someone pushing & shoving ends up behind me, or I catch up at the toll booth.

Roll easy & change gears as little as possible saves a lot of effort, don't lose more than a few minutes all the way through town if I get caught in a poor lane choice.

Knowing which lanes work best for me on average helps, get in the right one when it's easy to do so & just stay there through the bad sections. Lane choice, planning & looking ahead, playing the averages all make a trip through any bad traffic area easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
actually you're wrong.
Whatever. Getting mad at your gearbox and Ford and those telling you how to make it drive better isn't going to "fix" it.

Have a nice day.

Mad? I'm not, you seem to be, bc I didnt 100% agree with everything you said? Mr. Sensitive.

In any event, you said I must want an automatic.... well, I've driven nothin but manual in my time... the DCT having some manual characteristics was appealing to me... I love my car tyvm. I don't have major issues either.... in fact, my "issues" involve mild shutter and nothing else, an issue that I don't even consider to be one. Idk what the future will hold in regards to how this trans will hold up but that's TBD... so continue on with putting words in my mouth for me despite the fact i never said I didnt like my car, I just think the "leaving gaps" portion of your post is ridiculous. Creeping should not over heat a trans.... Pedal to the medal from stop sign to stop sign could....
Food for thought Joeywhat a.k.a. thee engineer of the DCT. lawl.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Apparently you misunderstood something of the commentary on avoiding creeping for better results from the trans..

Below full engagement speed the trans will be engaging, disengaging & "slipping" the clutch, so it won't be smooth & heat/wear is an issue. As with a manual (which these really are) it's better to limit the amount of clutch slip employed to get the desired result.

Pedal to the metal & it's happy as it can do what it should, creep along with a lot of partial engagement - not happy at all. Intentional "shudder" to discourage that type of driving was considered in preliminary design according to some of the early commentaries on the design that have been posted here. Not sure that going with overheat warnings only was any better a plan.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think that ford dealers should have made a better effort to explain how this transmission works. I know I was told when I bought my '14 mk3 with dct, "its an automatic, enjoy it". It was not explained to me at all how to drive this car. In a world where nearly every car has a conventional automatic that can take abuse in traffic, it is misleading that they are being sold just as every other auto out there. I can only imagine how embarrassing / upsetting it is to take your focus with dct into the dealer and be told that since you didn't know how / were not informed to correctly to drive the vehicle that your transmission has failed (or you contributed to an underlying problem)

That being said, for the time being, I am quite happy with my car. I have read posts / threads here and am enjoying my newish car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that ford dealers should have made a better effort to explain how this transmission works. I know I was told when I bought my '14 mk3 with dct, "its an automatic, enjoy it". It was not explained to me at all how to drive this car. In a world where nearly every car has a conventional automatic that can take abuse in traffic, it is misleading that they are being sold just as every other auto out there. I can only imagine how embarrassing / upsetting it is to take your focus with dct into the dealer and be told that since you didn't know how / were not informed to correctly to drive the vehicle that your transmission has failed (or you contributed to an underlying problem)

That being said, for the time being, I am quite happy with my car. I have read posts / threads here and am enjoying my newish car.
I could agree with this. Love the car, it's definately unique... handles extremely well, the leather seats are soooooo comfy, i love the sporty look.... and now that I'm hearing its better to punch it all the time around town for the sake of the transmission, its gunna be hella fun to drive.
Seriously though, the car is advertised as an automatic, the window sticker with all of its features says automatic... the stealership who has to have seen and heard about countless focus' coming in for trans. "issues" u would hope would offer a little more insight to customers on how these transmissions behave.... its like any new feature on a vehicle, from interior controls to how to charge electric vehicles, etc. anytime new technology is introduced to a vehicle, the sales people are supposed to be educated on thesefeatures and when selling, explaining them to customers.... it seems to me that none of them explain anything in regards to the DCT as far as telling us shutter will be normal, the grinding at low speeds is "normal", you're supposed to floor it to get the best results apparently as Im hearing from this thread now....

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Members who do drive theirs harder are generally happier, but so are others who "control" the shifting a lot by how they use the gas pedal.

There's been a lot of discussion about how to get the best out of it, and that's appropriate for an enthusiast's forum. I'm not going to try & recap it all in a few posts!

IMHO it should have been sold as something new & different, minimal mention as the latest new "automatic" isn't enough. Of course for many owners thinking about all the different mechanicals/electronics on the MkIII models is the farthest thing from their mind, as long as they turn the key & it goes that's where the interest ends.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Members who do drive theirs harder are generally happier, but so are others who "control" the shifting a lot by how they use the gas pedal.

There's been a lot of discussion about how to get the best out of it, and that's appropriate for an enthusiast's forum. I'm not going to try & recap it all in a few posts!

IMHO it should have been sold as something new & different, minimal mention as the latest new "automatic" isn't enough. Of course for many owners thinking about all the different mechanicals/electronics on the MkIII models is the farthest thing from their mind, as long as they turn the key & it goes that's where the interest ends.
I agree with you. Took the Foci for a joy ride. Drove it harder than normal.... and it went pretty well. A lot smoother for sure and certainly more fun :innocent: I have been tampering with the gas too.... IF i hear any grinding, i let off the gas for a split second then press again and it stops (it doesnt happen often but if it does its at low acceleration speeds)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just wanted to say thanks for those who kept this thread going with relevant updates on the DCT issues. I have had some shuttering issues over the past year but since my previous ownership of a 2002 Toyota MR2 w/Electrohydraulic Manual (just a different way of doing an automated manual) I totally thought the shudder was normal because the MR2 did the same thing. Using info from this post, I went to the dealership and asked them to check it out, sure enough they went ahead and replaced the seal and the clutch pack and I have to say, it's driving perfect now. I've always loved my Focus even with the shuttering issues it had sometimes, but now it's perfect, and the dealership had the car done in one day which was pretty awesome... I'm in no way a Ford fanboy, but I have to say they've done a good job in my opinion of stepping up with the extended warranty and notifying owners.

41 - 60 of 667 Posts