Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess I didn't explain very well. If I want to pass at highway speeds I push in the pedal and as I do nothing... nothing... sudden down shift of 2? 3? gears enough for the RPMs to jump from, say 2.5 to over 4k.

It just seems to me that I could get a better, smoother response. I learned something from this thread and it improved my enjoyment of the car. Just don't feel like I have this one aspect under control.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I guess I didn't explain very well. If I want to pass at highway speeds I push in the pedal and as I do nothing... nothing... sudden down shift of 2? 3? gears enough for the RPMs to jump from, say 2.5 to over 4k.

It just seems to me that I could get a better, smoother response. I learned something from this thread and it improved my enjoyment of the car. Just don't feel like I have this one aspect under control.
Well, it is what it is. I don't know how rough the transition is for you, but it's got to raise the RPMs to downshift, and this engine doesn't have a whole lot of power below 3500 rpms, especially for overtaking at highway speeds.

If you have the selectshift option for the transmission you can manually downshift to whatever gear you want.

·
Registered
39 Posts
3500-4500 seems about right. It's happy to do it. You aren't hurting it. If you want to add gas but stay low RPM you are going to run rich and that's not good long term.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How common in the shudder? Even with the lightest of toe curling accelerations at red lights and stops it's pretty much without fail it will shudder - starting to get annoying and almost seems like it's getting worse.

I'll have my dealership check it out but I'm afraid of the runaround I've read on other horror stories about trying to get issues fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"To Joeywhat or whom it may concern"

Great article Joeywhat, My question to you is I use to own a 2010 Focus SES did it have the DCT tranny? If not, Ford shouldn't have "In my opinion" stop using that tranny because I got 28-34 mpg all the time for 38K miles. Why did Ford waste everybody's time and heart ache for 3 more mpg's.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No, the DCT was new in the 2012 models. It's actually a very pleasant gearbox when it works, and a number of folks are very pleased with it. It may have been smarter to offer the traditional gearbox as well...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bit of an exaggeration to say "everybody's time". Understand how the gear box works, which includes acknowledging that it is neither an MT nor an AT, makes a difference. Ford dealers would do well to point that out to potential buyers. I prefer the DCT driving experience in my Focus over the AT experience in my wife's Escape. Personal preference.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I put the trans in S mode in heavy bumper to bumper traffic and it seems smoother.
Rolling stops seem to confuse it. But seen that with torque converters too.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
"To Joeywhat or whom it may concern"

... Why did Ford waste everybody's time and heart ache for 3 more mpg's.
A. Consumer demand. Some buyers will choose one car over another for even less than a 3 mpg difference.

B. Government regulation. Carmakers have to meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards or pay big fines.

Otherwise I'm sure Ford would have loved to continue using older technology rather than spend so much effort and money developing something new. Another thing is that all the little fuel economy improvements add up. Maybe the DCT only gets 1 mpg better than the manual, but TiVCT, direct injection, and so on each do their part, too. The combined effect is significant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good writeup

I realized that the car changed my driving behavior as i subconsciously adapted to driving the car by 'massaging' the throttle. Being a former manual transmission driver, i could 'feel' when the car wanted to shift and could make it shift by easing off the throttle or push down further. Nowadays it's a rarity when it shifts into a gear i wasn't expecting.

The car was built to be fuel efficient and seems to drive best when you are trying to keep the green leafs all leafy. But you can still have a lot of fun with it when you open it up.

I have noticed one peculiar thing about the throttle. My car seems to behave a tad different depending on how lazy my foot is and where it's pressing on the gas peddle.

If i have the majority of the surface area of the pedal covered with my foot, the car drives 'smooth' for the most part. If i have most of my foot on the floor and just the tip of my toes pushing the bottom of the pedal, still exerting the same amount of force to move the car at the same speed, i will get the jutter/stutter more often.

I have no clue why this is. Believe me when i say i can massage the throttle just as well with my tippy toes as i can using my whole foot. It almost seems as tho the pedal is extremely sensitive to where the pressure of the input comes from.

The one area im still working on is tight corners. I find i have to brake hard into the turn so that i can start applying gas while going into the turn to keep the revs low while accelerating. If i don't brake quick enough, the act of turning (torque vectoring?) makes my revs flare up way into the 3-4k range just to maintain the exit velocity.

Basically i need to be on the gas before i go into the turn to keep the revs from shooting up.

As for my driving style, i call it 'torque' driving. I hate high revs unless i need to overtake someone, so my style is to try apply enough pressure on the throttle to speed up quickly without crossing 3k rpms , ease off the gas enough to trigger the next shift and immediately reapply pressure on the throttle to continue acceleration.. rinse repeat. It feels exactly like driving a manual without the clutch/stickshift play. Pressing down hard on the gas is like dropping from 5th to 2nd gear in a stickshift.

While i'm sure the shuddering i still feel on the odd occasion (especially after the car has warmed up) is related to one of the TSB's regarding the clutch, the OP is right. Simply learning how to drive the car by understanding it as a manual transmission that's computer controlled brings about a most pleasant driving experience. [twothumbs]

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've been driving my SelectShift for a year and a few months now and everything you've written here is BANG on. When I first received my car I read the horror threads and drove around without music for weeks just listening and monitoring the car. I was getting minor shudders and awful noises. Once I saw the 'it's not an automatic' advice somewhere else in the forum I switched my driving style back to a more manual orientation and BINGO the car came alive. So yeah, everything listed here is how I drive my 2013 SE and it's a blaaaaaast. LOVE MY CAR!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Up to 500 miles there were slight jumps, but now it switches gears smoothly. I would hope that 2012-13 owners can get all the updates or a whole new DCT.

What is also different is the DCT doesn't do 'neutral drops' like fluid drive ATX's. Go from N to D in higher rev, and it engages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rocker on shifter with non-sportshift

I'm starting to look at a Focus for a replacement for my Civic(manual), and going to switch to an automatic for my daily driver, so I love the idea of the Powershift.
I'm a little confused though, I know the Titanium and SE Plus have the Sport Shift(with the rocker on the shifter), and the S on the shift gate, but I also see models that are entry level models, with L on the shift gate, but still with the rocker, so are they the same transmission/controls?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I'm starting to look at a Focus for a replacement for my Civic(manual), and going to switch to an automatic for my daily driver, so I love the idea of the Powershift.
I'm a little confused though, I know the Titanium and SE Plus have the Sport Shift(with the rocker on the shifter), and the S on the shift gate, but I also see models that are entry level models, with L on the shift gate, but still with the rocker, so are they the same transmission/controls?
No, the cars with the L mode only have an over drive off/ hill grade assist switch that locks the car out of 6th gear. If you're willing to mess with the wiring and a software hack in the form of a tool called Foccus you can add select shift capability to the car as the transmission is physically the same, but the default functionality and programming is very different.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
No, the cars with the L mode only have an over drive off/ hill grade assist switch that locks the car out of 6th gear. If you're willing to mess with the wiring and a software hack in the form of a tool called Foccus you can add select shift capability to the car as the transmission is physically the same, but the default functionality and programming is very different.
Is the hill grade assist to be used only when going downhill or can it be used for uphill too?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Is the hill grade assist to be used only when going downhill or can it be used for uphill too?
It sounds like it would help going up hill by locking the car out of 6th gear and putting the engine in a higher rev range where it makes more power at the expense of fuel economy. It's recommended to stay in drive except where necessary, however it's up to you to determine if it's necessary.

It's hill grade assist, not hill descent control so it should work both ways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks very much, Joey, for this info. Heh ... saved me from an embarrassing return to the dealer complaining about a roughly running transmission! I drove my new '14 Focus off the lot yesterday. To say the tranny was jerky is an understatement. But today, after reading your post and applying what you said ... yeah! Veeery nice!

For my experience, it takes a bit of getting used to, especially at speeds under 40 mph. The shifting sometimes seems too low, too slow. I found that if I apply a little more throttle, and just keep it steady as it shifts through the first 3 gears, all is well, if a tad slow on a startup from a full stop, like at a traffic light.

I've also found that it WILL deliver the power on command when you need to. A dump truck in the next lane was trying to get in front of me when our two lanes were merging. A decided advance of the throttle , and keeping that input steady, switched to the lower gear and got me in front of the dump truck, the tach topping out at just over 3k rpm. That's the Focus I know and love ... power when you need it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bit of an exaggeration to say "everybody's time". Understand how the gear box works, which includes acknowledging that it is neither an MT nor an AT, makes a difference. Ford dealers would do well to point that out to potential buyers. I prefer the DCT driving experience in my Focus over the AT experience in my wife's Escape. Personal preference.

Ditto for me. My dealer gave us the lowdown on this before he would let us test drive one. I love how it drives once I learned how to drive it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I researched the Focus very thoroughly & was aware of the issues some people were experiencing and had my wife trade in her 2010 cobalt for a new 2014 SE HB. She has now 6200 miles on it, and loves it. Sure we get the occasional low speed shudder and it appears to be more prevalant after it gets warmed up. However I think a lot of it has to do with driving style. We both enjoy the car so much that I bought myself one too. A black on black Focus SE hatchback. So far with only 300 miles on mine its been rock solid.... Mine was built 6-'14 and hers was built 8-13....
The advice given here is spot on! Once we changed our driving style, the car became a lot more enjoyable to drive.... I cant wait for our road trip next summer.... 3200 mile round trip!

21 - 40 of 694 Posts