Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am giving them a chance to fix it. Being 15 miles from work makes things a little tricky. Luckily today I am able to wfh, but I seriously doubt that will be acceptable for three weeks if it gets there.

A colleague at work was trying to sell his focus, and when I mentioned I wanted a hatch rather than his sedan, he then told me he had his clutch replaced twice on his dct, and warned me not to buy one.

I have been issue free until today, and I hope it is a warranty repair otherwise I am screwed.

For the record, the trans has been fine, apart from the occasional blip. When within two days it fits from working fine to it telling me there is a transmission malfunction and then the place can't even look at it for a week, it gets annoying.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree 100%. I have a '14 Focus, and the dealer didn't explain a thing to me about how this isn't a standard auto transmission. It wasn't until I hit 15K miles and it started acting up (jerking/shaking in stop/go traffic) that I began doing some research and discovered that it is a DCT. I'm not sure it would've made a difference to me at the time if they had explained it, but I spent 15K miles driving it like a regular auto trans and that probably wasn't good for the car. Aside from the trans, I love the car, but more disclosure at the time of purchase would've been nice.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Yep, cars are sold like appliances on features & looks, and if a feature (tech change) might not help the sale it isn't mentioned.

Get strange looks for looking under the hood/peeking underneath at car shows/dealers, and often little info. for any tech. questions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree 100%. I have a '14 Focus, and the dealer didn't explain a thing to me about how this isn't a standard auto transmission. It wasn't until I hit 15K miles and it started acting up (jerking/shaking in stop/go traffic) that I began doing some research and discovered that it is a DCT. I'm not sure it would've made a difference to me at the time if they had explained it, but I spent 15K miles driving it like a regular auto trans and that probably wasn't good for the car. Aside from the trans, I love the car, but more disclosure at the time of purchase would've been nice.
same. except for experiencing problems. in fact when i looked under the hood i commented to the sales guy that there was no "automatic" transmission dipstick. and that it was strange. he agreed and that was that. it probably wouldn't have mattered if i knew it was a DCT. i probably woulda thaought it cool. all i can do now is pray i have a good one or take a bath on a trade-in if i don't wnat to chance it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Dorzok,
I think I have a good one. We just passed 56k miles. If you read back on this thread you will see that except for some problems the first couple of weeks my Focus has been pretty good. One of the bizarre things, though, was that the gear selection routine would generate an astonishing amount of fairly loud clatter. It would do this for a day or two and then go away, although if you listened really carefully you could hear it.

When it came back from its 50k service (at 56k) it was close to silent, after another 1,000 miles still no clatter. they did a firmware upgrade at the service of both the clutch programming and the transmission controls.

I do think they moved the shift-points a little, but they seem about where I would have shifted had it been a manual.

I continue to be delighted with the car.

john

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
... I continue to be delighted with the car. ...
Thank you for sharing this. We can only wonder how many more DCT owners have good experiences with them than bad, but don't take the time to write about it here. All the bad news reports get so depressing. Now if Ford could just figure out what it takes to turn all of the bad ones into good ones like yours. (Permanently, that is.)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. We can only wonder how many more DCT owners have good experiences with them than bad, but don't take the time to write about it here. All the bad news reports get so depressing. Now if Ford could just figure out what it takes to turn all of the bad ones into good ones like yours. (Permanently, that is.)
Well.. my faith in this tech has just taken a serious blow. How the hell does an AUTOMATED gearbox break a gear?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well.. my faith in this tech has just taken a serious blow. How the hell does an AUTOMATED gearbox break a gear?
Break a gear ?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I'm sure that if I was out of the 5/60 power train warranty I'd be blaming the TCM for not shifting properly and asking for assistance if needed to cover resultant damages from a covered part.

Don't know what other damages are present, and it can be difficult to prove a cause/defective part.

It just seems that a request for assistance from Ford if the Dealer doesn't automatically get permission for warranty repair (assuming you're out of warranty) with reference to a possible covered cause might be a good avenue to pursue (usual comments on calm request for assistance apply, don't P.O. anyone you're asking for help intentionally).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm sure that if I was out of the 5/60 power train warranty I'd be blaming the TCM for not shifting properly and asking for assistance if needed to cover resultant damages from a covered part.

Don't know what other damages are present, and it can be difficult to prove a cause/defective part.

It just seems that a request for assistance from Ford if the Dealer doesn't automatically get permission for warranty repair (assuming you're out of warranty) with reference to a possible covered cause might be a good avenue to pursue (usual comments on calm request for assistance apply, don't P.O. anyone you're asking for help intentionally).
how would you ask for help unintentionally?
[thankyou]

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Chuckle.

Phrasing could be better, as I typed fast that qualifier (intentionally) got thrown in at the end of "don't P.O. anyone you're asking for help".

Wouldn't expect it of Scougar, but some who are upset by their troubles have been less than tactful in what they say here they communicated to Ford reps.

Might be a fine point, but a request for assistance with reasons you think it might be reasonable/appropriate sounds good, and seems more likely to get help.

I won't try to quote anyone in particular, but some have mentioned comments (rants) they would have rather not made in retrospect.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Chuckle.

Phrasing could be better, as I typed fast that qualifier (intentionally) got thrown in at the end of "don't P.O. anyone you're asking for help".

Wouldn't expect it of Scougar, but some who are upset by their troubles have been less than tactful in what they say here they communicated to Ford reps.

Might be a fine point, but a request for assistance with reasons you think it might be reasonable/appropriate sounds good, and seems more likely to get help.

I won't try to quote anyone in particular, but some have mentioned comments (rants) they would have rather not made in retrospect.
You mean treat people like you wish to be treated? lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have been extremely polite and calm with everyone I've spoken to thus far. :)

Was interesting when I was in the dealer, all I heard was them on the phone talking about DCT issues, which I suspect is due to the letter that went out recently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe this vehicle isn't for me.

Youngzogs_2014SE liked post by jfoschio On thread : Automatic Transmission 2014 Focus - I can't take it anymore
Fails to shift properly, slippage; the grinding noises, loss of power on inclines. Replaced the clutch once and had it recalibrated the second time. Did not remedy. I've had it!
Liked On: Today, 11:49 AM
Posted On: Today, 09:00 AM

241 - 260 of 697 Posts