Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
  • Here's how the grade assist on the PowerShift trans works
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/8714281-post173.html

• Here is what the sport mode on the SelectShift works.
S (Sport) (If Equipped)
Moving the gearshift lever to S (Sport):
• Provides additional grade (engine) braking and extends lower gear
operation to enhance performance for uphill climbs, hilly terrain or
mountainous areas. This will increase engine RPM during engine
braking.
• Provides additional lower gear operation through the automatic
transmission shift strategy which reacts to vehicle inputs (vehicle
acceleration, accelerator pedal, brake pedal and vehicle speed).
• Gears are selected more quickly and at higher engine speeds

Looks to be the same-ish
It does seem to be the same-ish. Having recently purchased an 2014 SE with the basic DCT, I only have the options of L and Grade assist on the shifter. (I believe the hill assist is in menu.) I've not played with that. Nor do I expect I will need to.

The grade assist button on the gearshift is pretty cool. I've been a standard transmission driver for many years and missed engine braking when entering freeway exit ramps. I have found that using grade assist and a bit of braking with will invoke a smooth downshift to either 4th or 3rd that stays in place when I enter the ramp. Pretty cool! I have not played with drop throttle oversteer yet. I am betting that the stability control will dampen that fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
turn off the stabiltiy control. not sure what you mean about drop throttle oversteer but if you have to downshift to do it, might be difficult to time with this transmisson.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can only turn off traction control. I believe that there is also stability control to keep the car from getting out of shape. Drop throttle over steer is exactly that. Taking your foot off the throttle at speed while in something less than top gear and turning the steering wheel in the desired direction to cause over-steer and getting the rear to come around just a bit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having revision F clutches being installed today. Car has 21K, and this will be the third set of clutches. I love the car, but damn this transmission. I applaud Ford for standing by their products, extending warranties, and attempting to fix things the best they can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm having revision F clutches being installed today. Car has 21K, and this will be the third set of clutches. I love the car, but damn this transmission. I applaud Ford for standing by their products, extending warranties, and attempting to fix things the best they can.
well crap!! on a 2014!???

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would respectfully disagree that Ford has done the right thing with the DCT problems.
It would take many hours to read the years of posts here about all the owners being danced around by dealers.

At one point Ford even put out a memo trying to say many of these symptoms were normal and the owner needed to learn to drive it properly. Some owners who had never driven any other companies DCT; then believed that memo, because they didn't know otherwise.

But as the years have gone by, post after post here shows that subsequent repairs by Ford have made those "normal" symptoms go away. (granted they sadly seem to come back in subsequent weeks/months)

Reactions: rob_gray

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would respectfully disagree that Ford has done the right thing with the DCT problems.
It would take many hours to read the years of posts here about all the owners being danced around by dealers.

At one point Ford even put out a memo trying to say many of these symptoms were normal and the owner needed to learn to drive it properly. Some owners who had never driven any other companies DCT; then believed that memo, because they didn't know otherwise.

But as the years have gone by, post after post here shows that subsequent repairs by Ford have made those "normal" symptoms go away. (granted they sadly seem to come back in subsequent weeks/months)
So what happens when your warranty is out? I mean 3 years only goes so far and 100k miles only goes so long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I understand what you are saying. You're right. I guess I thought the extended warranty was the right thing to do, but after reading the dates I realize my car doesn't qualify. That is unfortunate, and I would like to think I should after having two clutch revisions put in within the first 20,000 miles. The first one was at around 8,000 miles. I bought a new car to have piece of mind, and having to worry about these things is the opposite of that.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Having problems with a new car is annoying, but the typical process is: something breaks or stops working and the dealer fixes it. The DCT issue is different as the loop goes on and on with fixes applied (umpteen software revisions, multiple clutch versions and now a software tweak that will let you know in advance that the TCM is failing) that really don't solve the problem long-term.

And in some respects, we've gone backwards now knowing the TCM is prone to early failure making any long trip with a DCT Focus more of a crapshoot than it should be.

So is Ford trying? I guess so. Are they succeeding? Not really. Could they do more? You bet. Has your opinion of Ford been enhanced by Focus ownership? Well, not mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having problems with a new car is annoying, but the typical process is: something breaks or stops working and the dealer fixes it. The DCT issue is different as the loop goes on and on with fixes applied (umpteen software revisions, multiple clutch versions and now a software tweak that will let you know in advance that the TCM is failing) that really don't solve the problem long-term.

And in some respects, we've gone backwards now knowing the TCM is prone to early failure making any long trip with a DCT Focus more of a crapshoot than it should be.

So is Ford trying? I guess so. Are they succeeding? Not really. Could they do more? You bet. Has your opinion of Ford been enhanced by Focus ownership? Well, not mine.
I just don't understand how some people are not having issues and some are. If that's true, then there is something that can be done. I can only speak from my experience as to how FORD and my local dealer have treated me. It's been "fixed" twice already. It's been inconvenient, yes. The only reason I bought a new car was to avoid having to WORRY about car repairs, and NO, that has not been alleviated. I love the car other than that damn DCT. I am contemplating trading it in NOW, but I really don't know what to do at this point. It does suck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i haven't had any issues with mine (9800 miles). but i tell you what, i'm trading it in when the warrantee is up. like potyfish up there says, i didn't buy a new car to worry about it and i'm feeling a littel worried right now.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So what happens when your warranty is out? I mean 3 years only goes so far and 100k miles only goes so long.
sorry I didn't see your question earlier. In my opinion, Id dump it when the warranty runs out. Sadly I have seen posts here lately that ford dealers are offering low trade-ins because they KNOW about these problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ohhhhhhh, it's a ruse. build a crappy transmission that fails on just enough cars, string them along with "fixes" and "updates" and get all the owners all worked up and concerned so they will want to trade them in early and willingly accept low-ball offer, and THEN apply the REAL fix and make a tidy profit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Got a warranty extension letter on the tcm/trans to 150k and also a software update. Are these both free?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well a few days later (yesterday) my trans failed. Previous day was making weird noises and an occasional bang when pulling away from a stop. Next thing the trans is squealing like hell, and refusing to move. Awesome.

Add me to the list of people with a failed DCT now. 2012 model, 68k miles. It had been almost perfect up until two days ago aside from the crappy response off the line.

I love the car, but this is exactly what I was worried about when purchasing, and I have been worrying about every time I drive it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well a few days later (yesterday) my trans failed. Previous day was making weird noises and an occasional bang when pulling away from a stop. Next thing the trans is squealing like hell, and refusing to move. Awesome.

Add me to the list of people with a failed DCT now. 2012 model, 68k miles. It had been almost perfect up until two days ago aside from the crappy response off the line.

I love the car, but this is exactly what I was worried about when purchasing, and I have been worrying about every time I drive it.
Sorry to hear that Scougar, you will now be joining the many other owners doing the "dealer dance". I'd suggest to cut the music short, you seek out Meagan the ford rep here on this board so she can escalate your case.
As an aside, having followed all these posts for years, I gave up about two years ago because even the repairs always failed in weeks to months and I just didn't want or have time for, the hassle.
I opted for a 2013 mazda-3 with skyactive motor and tranny, ground my hardest deal on lower than sticker, higher than KBB and lowest interest rate based on good credit.
I have had ZERO issues with the mazda despite naysayers stories here. ZERO. 35 mpg overall, cruises effortlessly at 80 and handles like a dream.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am not sure where it puts me btw, as I only recently bought the a few months ago, and took out a loan. I'm sure it would end up costing me money to do a sale/trade. Will see how it goes.

I now know this. I really wanted to get the bad throttle response from a stop fixed, the shift points that won't allow you to change gear unless within a particular (lame) rev range, and general performance, but now I'll have to seriously consider whether this will affect any future warranty claims.

And yes, I know you have been very vocal about your car, and I understand why.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am not sure where it puts me btw, as I only recently bought the a few months ago, and took out a loan. I'm sure it would end up costing me money to do a sale/trade. Will see how it goes.

I now know this. I really wanted to get the bad throttle response from a stop fixed, the shift points that won't allow you to change gear unless within a particular (lame) rev range, and general performance, but now I'll have to seriously consider whether this will affect any future warranty claims.

And yes, I know you have been very vocal about your car, and I understand why.
It is an outrage for any car company to do this to hard-working people like yourself.
I see the anger spreading and people showing up at Fords Focus facebook page as well.
I have seen a few class action lawsuits launched and a blog called the lemon law focus blog advising owners too.
I wish somehow the media would take this up and get a bright light shining on Ford about this.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You could at least give them a chance to fix it before jumping to conclusions. I'll roll over 90k on my 2012 DCT this weekend and other than the occasional wrong gear its been a great car. Had my clutch pack and Seals done earlier this year. Wasn't really having a problem, just felt like it was time.

Reactions: mr_cassandra
221 - 240 of 697 Posts