Focus Fanatics Forum banner

181 - 200 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well done, and well wrote, Joeywhat.
Many of the things which Fords documents said were normal have since been fixed by subsequent TSB's , warranty extensions and software updates.

It turns out, thru Fords own fixes, that this transmission can and does operate very normally and does 'not' require a lot of adaptation by the owner.

As such, it makes it like the wet versions of the dual clutch transmissions.

Everything I have stated above can be verified by anyone reading this thru the hundreds of posts here on this forum about problems and resolutions by Ford.

It goes without saying that there does not seem to be any permanent fix but if the 'normal' symptoms can be made to go away for weeks to months, you need to ask yourself, how is that possible (if they were 'normal' ?)

By that I mean, if they were normal, why would they not remain constant before and after repairs by Ford?

And last but hardly least, if they were normal, why are the Ford reps here and at Fords facebook page tirelessly escalating peoples repairs ?
Would they not instead explain the section of the operating characteristics that applied ?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Many of the things which Fords documents said were normal have since been fixed by subsequent TSB's , warranty extensions and software updates.

It turns out, thru Fords own fixes, that this transmission can and does operate very normally and does 'not' require a lot of adaptation by the owner.

Everything I have stated above can be verified by anyone reading this thru the hundreds of posts here on this forum about problems and resolutions by Ford.

It goes without saying that there does not seem to be any permanent fix but if the 'normal' symptoms can be made to go away for weeks to months, you need to ask yourself, how is that possible (if they were 'normal' ?)

By that I mean, if they were normal, why would they not remain constant before and after repairs by Ford?

And last but hardly least, if they were normal, why are the Ford reps here and at Fords facebook page tirelessly escalating peoples repairs ?
Would they not instead explain the section of the operating characteristics that applied ?
It is clear that the initial rollout of the DCT MK3 Focus was bungled. It is also clear that the delay in addressing the problems of the DCT has resulted in an ongoing issue of Focii that have DCT issues still outstanding(Many 2012 - 2014 Focii hit the market with defective trannies). However, I can say that once the DCT is properly repaired, the car runs beautifully. I am fast approaching my 4-year anniversary with my MK3 Focus and (knock on wood) everything seems to be going well. If you are not getting the kind of service you deserve or expect, you should go to another dealer. Alternatively, some have opted to seek other options (vehicle-wise). I don't blame them given the fact that its been years since this issue was first revealed and folks are still dealing with this. I suspect Ford should have done a recall in order to remove most vehicles off the road with the defective DCT so that they could have properly repaired them. Alas, this is nothing more than Monday morning quarterbacking.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mr_Cassandra,
I continue to be perplexed by this car. We're up to 49k miles and still get clatter and surging once in a while, with no pattern to the occurrences that we have been able to figure out. It may have something to do with carrying a load of four engineers, who except for me, own Benzes or VW's and wonder what all the noise is about. I tell them the Focus is so much quieter than theirs' that they can hear things that they would hear on theirs' if their cars were as silent as the Focus. (there must be a more economical way to handle that sentence)

It runs for weeks with the clatter almost undetectable and then for a day or two, it is pretty loud, and then it goes away. ????

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It is clear that the initial rollout of the DCT MK3 Focus was bungled. It is also clear that the delay in addressing the problems of the DCT has resulted in an ongoing issue of Focii that have DCT issues still outstanding(Many 2012 - 2014 Focii hit the market with defective trannies). However, I can say that once the DCT is properly repaired, the car runs beautifully. I am fast approaching my 4-year anniversary with my MK3 Focus and (knock on wood) everything seems to be going well. If you are not getting the kind of service you deserve or expect, you should go to another dealer. Alternatively, some have opted to seek other options (vehicle-wise). I don't blame them given the fact that its been years since this issue was first revealed and folks are still dealing with this. I suspect Ford should have done a recall in order to remove most vehicles off the road with the defective DCT so that they could have properly repaired them. Alas, this is nothing more than Monday morning quarterbacking.
I couldn't agree with you more about this transmission when running properly. I am a 4 decades long auto enthusiast with a long history of sporty cars I've owned. A properly runing DCT tranny is a very quick and sporty car. I suspect most manual drivers would be hard pressed to shift as fast and flawlessly as a properly running DCT.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ever since I had the TCM (Transmission Control Module) on my 2014 replaced I haven't had any clattering, clunking etc. from the transmission. It still shifted weird but I was able to fix that problem with the shifting by adding an FSWERKS POLYURETHANE OE MOUNT INSERT. The Powershift/DCT transmission acts like it should with a lot of power to the ground. I know everyone may have different things they may have tried to make the DCT behave but I installed the insert and I havn't had any problem with the DCT. Yes the insert will add some vibration but I can live with it. About 95 percent of the vibration can be felt in reverse and the other 5 percent at idle. So if you're like me and want a fast focus get the FSWERKS POLYURETHANE OE MOUNT INSERT along with the FSWERKS GREEN FILTER COOL-FLO AIR INTAKE SYSTEM and your car will feel more lively with an added bonus of squealing the tires at a dead stop and hit 60 plus in less than ten seconds depending on how heavy footed you are.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ever since I had the TCM (Transmission Control Module) on my 2014 replaced I haven't had any clattering, clunking etc. from the transmission. It still shifted weird but I was able to fix that problem with the shifting by adding an FSWERKS POLYURETHANE OE MOUNT INSERT. The Powershift/DCT transmission acts like it should with a lot of power to the ground. I know everyone may have different things they may have tried to make the DCT behave but I installed the insert and I havn't had any problem with the DCT. Yes the insert will add some vibration but I can live with it. About 95 percent of the vibration can be felt in reverse and the other 5 percent at idle. So if you're like me and want a fast focus get the FSWERKS POLYURETHANE OE MOUNT INSERT along with the FSWERKS GREEN FILTER COOL-FLO AIR INTAKE SYSTEM and your car will feel more lively with an added bonus of squealing the tires at a dead stop and hit 60 plus in less than ten seconds depending on how heavy footed you are.
I agree the owner can do work himself and alleviate a lot of the symptoms in the form of replacement rear motor mount, sealing or replacing the air intake, new tunes for the TCM, etc etc but the central point here is when in your life did you ever have to do so much work to a brand new car ?

You are essentially supposed to be given a set of keys and drive away on your vacation.

many new car owners have never even turned a wrench under the hood in their life and have a right to expect a trouble free car and not have to try several dealers in order to get something fixed.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Mr_Cassandra,
I continue to be perplexed by this car. We're up to 49k miles and still get clatter and surging once in a while, with no pattern to the occurrences that we have been able to figure out. It may have something to do with carrying a load of four engineers, who except for me, own Benzes or VW's and wonder what all the noise is about. I tell them the Focus is so much quieter than theirs' that they can hear things that they would hear on theirs' if their cars were as silent as the Focus. (there must be a more economical way to handle that sentence)

It runs for weeks with the clatter almost undetectable and then for a day or two, it is pretty loud, and then it goes away. ????
I'm sorry to see that DCT problems have finally emerged for you. I remember over the past few years you had posted several times about having no problems whatsoever.

In my opinion there are a variety of things at play here. For instance mine only acted up in warm weather and more so when under load of AC and/or passengers.

Compounding that is the air gap on the intake people have mentioned which defeats any concept of cooler air getting to the engine.

There are software fixes, seal replacements and clutch replacements as well as problems with the TCM.

On anyones car, any of these factors alone or in tandem could be involved.

Combined with dealers who have been given the 'everything is normal' letter, this is a heck of a mess for honest, hardworking people who wanted a nice new car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Agreed but I have always been a gearhead and love adding thing to my cars to make them go faster. I was gonna put a turbo on my 2010 focus but ended up wrecking the car before I got around to it. So yes people may expect a perfect car but in today's there is no such thing as a perfect car.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Agreed but I have always been a gearhead and love adding thing to my cars to make them go faster. I was gonna put a turbo on my 2010 focus but ended up wrecking the car before I got around to it. So yes people may expect a perfect car but in today's there is no such thing as a perfect car.
true but slight problems yes, but we're talking about noises and clattering that makes your passengers ask 'whats that'. In my opinion this is far beyond any normal imperfections one should accept.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 2014 focus has now over 50k on it and the only thing it has had done was the TCM replaced. I'm still running the same clutches the car came out with from factory and I haven't had any problems with them. So will I have problems with them I really don't know only time will tell but for now I am very happy with the DCT in my 2014.

·
Registered
581 Posts
After the TCM got replaced I now have no mechanical noise at all coming from the transmission. It shift so well even when I get the urge to stomp on the gas and squeal the tires. My passengers are like holy crap slow down or get your foot out of it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
After the TCM got replaced I now have no mechanical noise at all coming from the transmission. It shift so well even when I get the urge to stomp on the gas and squeal the tires. My passengers are like holy crap slow down or get your foot out of it.
I hear that, once I was turning onto a fast suburban st and gave it a bit too much gas, seemed like the DCT tranny went into super pursuit mode, yikes

·
Registered
163 Posts

I began hearing transmission chatter this morning, ironically enough. My Focus is still under warranty. Do you have any idea what Ford would do about this? Anything you suggest I do in the mean time?

I'm going to wait a while before doing anything. The Focus is still under warranty and the wife and I are really busy with life right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm sorry to see that DCT problems have finally emerged for you. I remember over the past few years you had posted several times about having no problems whatsoever.

In my opinion there are a variety of things at play here. For instance mine only acted up in warm weather and more so when under load of AC and/or passengers.

Compounding that is the air gap on the intake people have mentioned which defeats any concept of cooler air getting to the engine.

There are software fixes, seal replacements and clutch replacements as well as problems with the TCM.

On anyones car, any of these factors alone or in tandem could be involved.

Combined with dealers who have been given the 'everything is normal' letter, this is a heck of a mess for honest, hardworking people who wanted a nice new car.

Sorry Mr. C.,
I said it inelegantly. Car lives in Delray Beach. It is hot here (mid 90s) all Summer. Car drives wonderfully well almost ALL the time. Clatter less than 10% of trips and then only briefly. I can't tie it to load in the car, or getting stuck in slow traffic, or anything else.

Claro, it cannot actually be random, but whatever provokes it seems beyond my ability to diagnose. no connection between symptom and anything else.

Our plan is to run it out to 200K and get another one. This will take another five years. FWIW, I just replaced the Cooper Zeons with Pirellis which dropped the road noise an astonishing amount. Probably not fair to compare old Coopers to new Pirellis, but.....

take care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had this shuttering issue with the transmission for awhile now. It also makes a "grinding" sound in 1st and 2nd gear. I've read through this whole thread and it's great to know I'm not alone and other people are dealing with this. I sent my 2013 SE in to the dealer. They said they updated the software and it should run fine after it learns my driving habits. It hasn't really gotten any better. It's not a constant shuddering, it's pretty random when it wants to rear its ugly head. Anyways, I guess I'm going to call the dealer again. Do you think they will replace the clutch or anything else? If so what kind of wait are we talking?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
... I suspect most manual drivers would be hard pressed to shift as fast and flawlessly as a properly running DCT.
True, but only in some situations.

While writing more about that I realized I would be repeating what I had already written in another thread, so I'll just link to that discussion and not repeat myself here. (Like I too often do. ;)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
When Ford finally gets the DCT/Powershift transmission working right the focus will be a fast economy car.
Or "IF". Two years ago most of us following the DCTs woes would have expected that to have happened by now. (Mine already feels pretty fast for an economy car.)

181 - 200 of 697 Posts