Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to install one of the two Ford SVT suspension kits, either the one with rear anti-sway bar and i would have to purchase strut bearings and assemble. Or, the pre-assembled kit, with no bar.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/suspensionkits_1.aspx
identical as to what can be found here, but being in canada, i will purchase from dealer.

is the 1mm increase in sway bar diameter have any real world improvement? going from 20-21mm?

Thanks for you help.

** with a quick back of napkin calculation, 21/20 = 1.05 (5%) larger diameter, and as shear modulus is a 4th order relationship 1.05^4 = 1.22, 22% stiffer than stock. however question remains if this means anything to a spirited daily driver?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I would say the 20% stiffness increase is more of a fine tuning thing. Depending on how many miles you have on your stock rear sway bar bushings/links, you could just get new poly bushings and endlinks and see how that firms things up. If you can find a 21mm sway bar in the buy/sell section for a good price, I'd say go for it.

Also, if you are buying from a dealer, you should see about the FRPP springs that lower the car 1.5". Still very driveable in snow and as a daily driver.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
with a quick back of napkin calculation, 21/20 = 1.05 (5%) larger diameter, and as shear modulus is a 4th order relationship 1.05^4 = 1.22, 22% stiffer than stock. however question remains if this means anything to a spirited daily driver?

Look at it this way as well, the people at Ford's Special Vehicle Operations thought that 1mm was significant or they would have stayed with the 20mm bar....right? They could have easily gone larger. As we know, the Focus SVT is a pretty damn good handling car and a significant improvement over a standard Focus model. That 1mm simply takes you from an understeering car to one much closer to neutral handling.

From a cost standpoint you need to compare the one kit with a bar then add the cost of the of top mounts and bearings versus the kit with the mounts but then adding in the cost of a bar. Remember to add the cost of new center bar bushings and possibly new end links to both as well. If I remember the kit with the top mounts costs a little more than the one with the bar. To me, assembly is a non-issue as its very easy and takes but five to ten minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts