Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Steve Lehto on YouTube also did a short about this. It’s my understanding that it will be another year or so before anything happens now. What a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
This junk made me take a bath on my 14 focus. God bless the classic ford 5 speed. 8 clutch repairs. Lawyers sent me a sign up alert and heard nothing after. This explains that I guess.

PS 16 5sp manual perfect car. Ain’t asked for nothing except headlight replacements due to peeling.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very interested to see how this goes down even though I used to drive a previous generation manual transmission.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, that settlement was total BS (which we all know). Ford would have gotten away with (not even) a slap on the wrist and plaintiffs were screwed beyond belief. The lawyers would have done alright, though! Of course.

The best thing that can happen is a recall by the NHTSA and a class action (which, if supported by a recall, would be way more of a hit to Ford). If the NHTSA comes back without a recall, a new class action will still have more teeth than the last one if for no other reason than evidence that Ford knew the DPS6 was garbage from day one.

I'm a pessimist, though. I will say without any qualification that the only people who will truly get anything out of this DPS6 fiasco are the lawyers. I truly believe Ford will get hit with something, but it will never be what they deserve. And speaking of what folks deserve, the plaintiffs (us) will never see real justice.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A fair settlement has to have some semblance to the damage done to the aggrieved party.

I was "lucky" enough to meet the minimum conditions to qualify for the terms of the settlement because my vehicle was manufactured within the proper time window and I have 3 documented major transmission repairs (I actually have four because one of them involved the replacement of both the TCM and the clutch/seals so it is treated as a single repair for the settlement even though there were two independent issues that required repair).

Based on both my mileage and age of the vehicle, I no longer qualify for any further covered repairs of my DCT. But, the three clutch replacements were done within the span of one year with less than 10K miles between them. Furthermore, last I checked, the version of the clutch pack and axle seals used are the same ones the are using for current "repairs". So, I consider it to be very likely that I will continue to need regular clutch replacements to keep this vehicle in a driveable condition. In fact, if I don't drive it "right" I currently experience clutch slippage and shudder so it needs a replacement now and has for about 4 months.

So, if the settlement hadn't been vacated, I would have received a whopping $200 and change which is nothing compared to a single clutch replacement on my dime which is around $2200. At the rate I was having to have them replaced, I would need to have this work done every other oil change. I'm betting that there are many others in the same boat as well as others who bought the car new for good money, drove it for a while until it started driving like crap, dumped it and took a bath in the process.

So yes, this would have been another case where only the lawyers get anything substantial out of the class action. With this recent court decision, maybe we'll get something more at some point in time but there is a lot of uncertainty about what that will amount to and when it will happen. Odds are not much and no time soon.

I was reminded of another side effect of the depressed resale value of these vehicles last Friday when a lady went through a stop sign in a parking lot and hit my left front fender, bumper and wheel. The damage isn't huge but as you know, it doesn't take much to rack up several thousands of dollars in body work. So, you start to wonder about the possibility of the car being deemed totaled by the insurance company. In my state, that's a killer because once it has an 'R' title, you have to go through a lengthy, complicated property just to prove that it is roadworthy and you have to be reissued a new title. Not likely that I would go through the trouble for a car that I didn't love to drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got 150 from amazon settlement once, other than that most of the checks have been under 10 bucks.

I love searching and filing for them I get like 5 or so checks a year. most of them you don't even need to show proof ;)

the settlement should have been to repurchase the old vehicle at cost of current amount due or value of car multiplied by a premium since the resale value is extremely suppressed because of the problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Prior and Current owners of these cars will receive absolutely Nothing..
Obviously this Transmission horror story has went on way longer than it should have.
In referencing the last offer Ford released, which is the extension of the transmission warranty to 100k, That's It, No More.
Lawsuits and reviews will drag this out until all the cars left on the road are past 100k or disposed of.
Forget it, "NOTHING" will benefit any owner going forward.
Ford is in the drivers seat now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
How about Ford puts in a 6 speed manual and we'll call it even. Which is what I shoulda got in the first place.
From what I gather, the six speed like they put in the STs are not compatible with this engine so it has to be the 5-speed which would be fine with me as that is what I'm currently doing. I got a low mileage one for $150 from a salvage yard not far from me and another $200 for the misc parts required. I'm adding a new clutch kit and seals to that and have pretty much all I need to do the job.
0909191659a_2.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prior and Current owners of these cars will receive absolutely Nothing..
Obviously this Transmission horror story has went on way longer than it should have.
In referencing the last offer Ford released, which is the extension of the transmission warranty to 100k, That's It, No More.
Lawsuits and reviews will drag this out until all the cars left on the road are past 100k or disposed of.
Forget it, "NOTHING" will benefit any owner going forward.
Ford is in the drivers seat now.
Not true.
I already got my letter from Ford stating they will reimburse all prior charges paid for clutch replacements.

Not ture

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ford is in trouble? Lmbo. So people willingly and consciously purchased a car with an untested and new tech? Buyer beware. Same issue with the first gen five hundreds cvt. Nothing but problems. Anyone with half a brain knows you dont buy a first year model with new tech. Engineering and testing do their jobs just like you or I. Under real world conditions an varying driving habits some inputs are not accounted for or are deemed a lesser likelyhood. The focus at its introduction was always a cheaply made commuter car its refinement over the years didnt change that fact. The way some people talk about these cars youd think they bought a 50k luxury car with complaints from everything from ride comfort to performance.

·
Registered
830 Posts
How about Ford puts in a 6 speed manual and we'll call it even. Which is what I shoulda got in the first place.

Funny that you bring this up because I was just thinking to myself last night, on my commute home, how I’d gladly replace my DCT with the 6-spd manual that’s in the ST today, if Ford would do it, but that would never happen.

Btw, I just received that customer satisfaction program 14M01 letter from Ford. It’s such a joke reading through that & especially when it talks about servicing the transmission, since there is no fix.

Instead of replacing a clutch ever other year, why not offer 2012-2016 DCT owners the option to switch to a manual? Seriously, how much would it cost vs. continuous repairs on a DCT?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Funny that you bring this up because I was just thinking to myself last night, on my commute home, how I’d gladly replace my DCT with the 6-spd manual that’s in the ST today, if Ford would do it, but that would never happen.

Btw, I just received that customer satisfaction program 14M01 letter from Ford. It’s such a joke reading through that & especially when it talks about servicing the transmission, since there is no fix.

Instead of replacing a clutch ever other year, why not offer 2012-2016 DCT owners the option to switch to a manual? Seriously, how much would it cost vs. continuous repairs on a DCT?

The vast majority would want an automatic not a manual. It doesn't cost Ford as much as you think technicians get paid crap on warranty repair work.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ford is in trouble? Lmbo. So people willingly and consciously purchased a car with an untested and new tech? Buyer beware. Same issue with the first gen five hundreds cvt. Nothing but problems. Anyone with half a brain knows you dont buy a first year model with new tech. Engineering and testing do their jobs just like you or I. Under real world conditions an varying driving habits some inputs are not accounted for or are deemed a lesser likelyhood. The focus at its introduction was always a cheaply made commuter car its refinement over the years didnt change that fact. The way some people talk about these cars youd think they bought a 50k luxury car with complaints from everything from ride comfort to performance.
Anyone with half a brain knows they put this same transmission in the Ford Focus and Fiesta for quite a few years and the problems didn't show up right away. People don't expect these to drive like a $50K luxury car, they expect them to drive like a similarly equipped car from any of their competitors. Furthermore, when problems are found in the design, they expect the manufacturer to find and implement a fix that has some longevity. I had three clutch replacements within a year and one TCM. Still isn't fixed. Are my expectations too high?

Also, if you have been keeping up on the story, Ford did experience these same problems in testing and chose to bury them and sell the car anyway. How can you not find fault with that? My daughter has a 5-speed Focus and it is a great car. Such is not the case with these DCT models. A properly working transmission is just as important as having an engine that starts. This is not a bells and whistles issue. Rather it is about the fundamentally basic function of the vehicle. Ford knew there were problems and gambled on the assumption that they could deal with it further on down the road. Guess what? They lost that bet. Pretty douchey of you to think this is funny.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh boy, you're one of those people. Yeah, it's definitely the consumers' faults they aren't all mechanical engineers and/or didn't have crystal balls and/or were blatantly lied to. What dummies!

I don't know why I'm feeding the troll [:(]

·
Registered
830 Posts

You just don’t get it, do you? I was going to attempt to explain it to you but I’d rather watch paint dry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Explain to me what? The fact you bought a POS and now its the companies fault? Theres been a recall. Theres been every effort to make it right albeit inconvenient for customers. Recalls are total tax right offs for car manifacturers so whatever "punishment " you have in mind will only be passed on. Label me the troll all you want im not the one pushing my car to work. Not unsympathetic just dont appreciate the negativity having a different OPINION . but like children get butt hurt over it why dont ya.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Explain to me what? The fact you bought a POS and now its the companies fault? Theres been a recall. Theres been every effort to make it right albeit inconvenient for customers. Recalls are total tax right offs for car manifacturers so whatever "punishment " you have in mind will only be passed on. Label me the troll all you want im not the one pushing my car to work. Not unsympathetic just dont appreciate the negativity having a different OPINION . but like children get butt hurt over it why dont ya.
Your "opinion" is not an opinion.

1.) There's no recall. A technical Service bulletin is not a recall. A lawsuit is not a recall. Please, show us where the recall is for the DCT.

2.) The focus historically has been a reliable compact car, and it still is with the exception of the DCT

3.) Ford knew there were issues with the DCT and still released it to the public.

EDIT: And to add, the replacement seals in the TSBs, ya know the ones that failed and let fluids seep onto the friction disks, are still the same AFAIK.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts