Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the gaskets that goes between my aftermarket header and engine block, and between my header and cat are no good. The ones i got with my aftermarket header were cheap and now its leaking. So i called the Ford Garage to get 2 new gaskets, well this is what they said

"Hello, Sir. Uh we are looking on our computers and we dont see that any gasket is supose to go there. You have gaskets going from ur cat to ur flex pipe, but we dont see any that are supose to go between ur header and engine block, and between ur header and cat"

Ok now im really confused. THere were gaskets on there when i took my stock one off, and i got gaskets with my new header. So they are telling me that there isnt any gasket thats supose to go there hmm interesting........ Where should i go to get new gaskets, cause ford garage doesnt seem to know shit. [?|]

·
Registered
845 Posts
You're correct...Ford garage DOES = DUMBA$$ES

www.newedgeperformance.com has great copper header gasket, and if you ask nicely, they may send you another gasket for between the header and cat. I've had the same problem as you with the paper gaskets burning up and leaking. I fixed the problem with some copper silicone sealant (works great!...no more leaks). Just be sure it's the copper (high temp) kind.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WHere can i get some of this copper silicone sealent at. That would b great if i could get some of that, so i wouldnt have to spend like 5 hours taking everythin off again. Plz help me out here dog

·
Registered
845 Posts
any respectable auto parts store should have it (autozone, advanced, pepboys, napa, etc.). I put the sealant on both sides of the gasket and then put it on. Some people have gone without the gasket, but I think it gives something to tighten the bolts onto other than metal against metal, and also, the paper gasket makes a good bond to the sealant. Be sure not to over tighten and squeeze all the sealant out, and an extra 1/8 of a turn on the bolts after a day of driving won't hurt, but don't over tighten after the sealant is dry or you'll break the seal and have to start over.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright will do. Ill get some gaskets here this week. Ya i was looking at the header some more, and i relized that the way its shaped, i dont even rly need a gasket, but im gonna use one anways. Thx guys, that what i should do?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
hmm this sounds familiar, didnt i tell you all this yesterday?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts