Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i need your technical advice regarding my concern of to buy or not to buy a 2013 Ford Focus Trend Hatchback 1.6L at 18k mileage.

This car is a bank repossessed car and it is in a "as is where is" basis meaning i can only start the engine and do revolution.

there are 2 issues i have observed:

1. check engine is indicated
2. A/C is not getting cold even when set in max cold...but when the temperature knob is rotated to the hot, it blows hot air.

my questions are;

1. is it possible that the check engine could somehow be related to the A/C cooling not functioning?
2. since this is only 18k mileage and 2013 model, what are the most possible reason for the dysfunctional A/C cooling?
3. when i do press the accelerator going until past "4", the sounds seems to be smooth and appears to be ok. The transmission gears are also normal.
4. any more advice on why should i but or not to buy based on my observations?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
We don't get the 1.6L in America, I'm sure the CEL has nothing to do with your AC.
Try to use a Scanner in your car to find out what numbers pop out.
Are you sure the the AC is fully load with the freon gas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately I don't have a scanner to see the codes. I could hardly check for the Freon as we needed some kind of equipment to gauge it. so its basically just looking at the car, how it works in as is where is basis...too bad I could not test drive it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Without a scanner tool it's gonna be hard to guess!
Any AC shop in your town? They can tell you what the problem is with the AC.
Any AutoZone or Auto Parts store? They could scan your car for free to find out what the CEL means...
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Proverbial "Pig in a Poke", you don't know what you're getting.

In this case you KNOW there are at least two problems, and either or both could be expensive.

The A/C has a very good chance of needing a major repair, as A/C compressors have been known to go out at low mileage on some of these.

Is this car in a condition where there would be no warranty coverage? For example, a "rebuilt" titled car looses warranty here as does one noted to have been used commercially.

Not a "safe" buy with no test drive & two known faults, it would have to be very cheap & it's still a risk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts